Plastic Bags being phased out by Woolworths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ok, so plastic bags are starting to get phased out by Woolworths that to the hipsters/lefties/vegans etc...

I don't really care about carrying the items home, that's the least of my worries. It's not too much of an effort to carry things in one of those hippies reusable bags. My problem, however... is rubbish

These idiots do nothing but complain about the rubbish bags that end up in the ocean. The plastic bags have a fraction of plastic in them compared to the actual rubbish contents. They only complain about what they see.

So what am I supposed to do with my household rubbish now... go out and buy bin liners instead of getting them with my grocery shopping? It is honestly a pathetic move by everyone involved.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
By the way, I don't agree with the ban either - I mean, when they are wrapping single items of fruit in plastic and styrofoam, they can hardly claim they are looking to help the environment.

Half of the states in Oz are already doing it at major retailers - but i'm sure places like the farmers markets, takeaway stores, corner stores etc will be able to supply one with their bin lines.

Just in case, I have stared stockpiling :grinning:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
By the way, I don't agree with the ban either - I mean, when they are wrapping single items of fruit in plastic and styrofoam, they can hardly claim they are looking to help the environment.

Half of the states in Oz are already doing it at major retailers - but i'm sure places like the farmers markets, takeaway stores, corner stores etc will be able to supply one with their bin lines.

Beat me to it

I detest the fresh produce wrapped in plastic

Wahesh

Reaction score
You really think this is the fault of hipsters/lefties/vegans etc? Surely you are smarter than that.

At least Aldi is upfront about it.
The Project started this whole thing, or at least had a big hand in media coverage for it. Blame them. And yes they are all lefties.

Wahesh

Reaction score

You can stockpile now mate but how long will it last? A few months max.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Beat me to it

What I'm saying is that stopping the use of plastic bags will be <1% of the problem taken care of. All the shit inside will not doubt have plastic in it. Looking inside my garbage bin in the office right now, there is an entire courier satchel in there. That damn thing is bigger than the liner that's holding it FFS.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
The Easter show is the worst for plastic junk! You know at least one bullshark a year is going to die in the Parramatta river because of the easter show.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You can stockpile now mate but how long will it last? A few months max.
Well, I'm heading to Thailand around August. I'll do an hourly shop at 7-Eleven, where they fair dinkum somehow give you 4 bags when you buy 2 items. After a fortnight, I'll have enough for a few more months.

I have it all worked out, don't worry.

Edit: I just realised my inlaws arrive here in 2 weeks - i might get them to bring a few hundred

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Also, I think Victoria is safe for now. I guess Wodonga is a bit far to shop though...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
who cares about this, this should be a woman problem

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Free-to-air media has more pulling power than you realise.
The phase out started before the Project started. They've been planning it for a long time but the grocery stores weren't supporting it. Now that there's enough reusable bags around they'll push it. But as Croydon says, it's not really to save the environment. They know full well that people will forget bags and they'll be forced to buy more reusable bags which gives Coles and Woolies more money.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The phase out started before the Project started. They've been planning it for a long time but the grocery stores weren't supporting it. Now that there's enough reusable bags around they'll push it. But as Croydon says, it's not really to save the environment. They know full well that people will forget bags and they'll be forced to buy more reusable bags which gives Coles and Woolies more money.
My exact point. They're simply going to get us to start buying bags rather than having them supplied with our groceries.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Beat me to it

It's a bit of a scam. The stuff they wrap in plastic themselves is either more expensive or it's on the verge of being thrown out.

The Mrs bought these reusable fruit and veg backs. They're pretty good but they're mesh which means they hold on to every little bit of veg you put in there, then they take forever to wash. Makes me miss plastic.

Wahesh

Reaction score
It's a bit of a scam. The stuff they wrap in plastic themselves is either more expensive or it's on the verge of being thrown out.

The Mrs bought these reusable fruit and veg backs. They're pretty good but they're mesh which means they hold on to every little bit of veg you put in there, then they take forever to wash. Makes me miss plastic.
Oh gosh, those things are horrid. They're made out of plastic too by the way.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish the NRL would phase brown paper bags instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.