Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Phil Gould is rugby league‘s version of a whore. Wasn’t that long ago he was in charge of Penrith, then he dipped his lid at the Dragons, then it was the Warriors and now the Bulldogs.
The same Phil Gould who warned Barrett not to take the Dogs coaching role. Penrith have thrived since he left. His review of the Dragons achieved Jack shit and how are the Warriors going ?
Gus is so overrated, it’s sickening
Because no other coaches or administrators work at multiple clubs? Is Shane Richardson a whore too? Were you complaining about Gould when he was overseeing Stuart making three grand finals in a row at your beloved Roosters?

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have some quotes from Gus about some of our players during dog games.

On Elliott. "What a stupid fucking ****"

On Renouf. "I thought Taumalolo switched jerseys at halftime and ran out in a dogs one".

On Hetherington. "I like him so much that I sent him to another club to play firstgrade instead of my club".

On Lewis. "I know his uncle and cousin"

On @Nasheed. "I look forward to him joining the squad next season, his experience growing up on the streets will be invaluable to some of the young kids coming through".
I think you mixed up number 2 and 3......

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I have some quotes from Gus about some of our players during dog games.

On Elliott. "What a stupid fucking ****"

On Renouf. "I thought Taumalolo switched jerseys at halftime and ran out in a dogs one".

On Hetherington. "I like him so much that I sent him to another club to play firstgrade instead of my club".

On Lewis. "I know his uncle and cousin"

On @Nasheed. "I look forward to him joining the squad next season, his experience growing up on the streets will be invaluable to some of the young kids coming through".
Hey thanks
It’s good to see soem ijsight into our players
Did he really say that shit about me? I like him more now. I didn’t realise he’s following my progress.

Also, since he’s name dropped me…. I think this proves he has been reading the kennel and putting tabs on a few members.
I know that Gus was a closet member of league unlimited, as confirmed by the mods there, but seems he is here too.
It’s good to keep because I was worried about how his appointment would affect me when I’m playing Mounties and dogs.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In commentary calling games on 9, about as charismatic as a potato.
But he has power.
A proven coach.
I dont know anything about the internal history of the club or how a club is run.
But I do know Penrith are doing well and I believe he was a big part of that.
I may not like his commentary but Id never question his analysis of the game or his love for it.
Whether he signed for big $$$ (as I suspect from the interview) or not, I get the feeling his appointment is a positive 1 for various reasons.
Anyways, time will tell.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wasn't 100% sold on this but it's done now. I do respect peoples opinion who are excited about it.

For him to succeed he needs a junior level coach which he has in Barrett.

The coaching saga at Penrith wasn't ideal, sack a coach, hire another one then bring back the one you already sacked and paid out.

His role will be different to Penrith, he doesn't need to focus on anything financial, purely football. We have good backing in the leagues club plus decent sponsors and others waiting to come on board.

He needs to focus on the junior pathways, helping with effective recruitment and mentoring Barrett.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because no other coaches or administrators work at multiple clubs? Is Shane Richardson a whore too? Were you complaining about Gould when he was overseeing Stuart making three grand finals in a row at your beloved Roosters?
With the roosters a lot of stories floated around that Graham Murray got the ass because Gus was trying to manipulate from the back ground (especially when the roosters made the gf in 2000) and in the end Murray was sacked with many believing Gus was heavily involved

Gould bought Ricky Stuart in and after a few years of success same thing happened (Gus trying to tell Ricky how to run the show)

I’m a bit 50/50 with his appointment like he was telling Barrett to not sign as we were basically a ‘basket case’ which when you think about it We are atm
Has Gus seen/heard of turnaround and wants to hop in get a fat pay cheque and then gloat how he did it all?!

Fingers crossed I’m wrong and we start making semis every year and contending for premierships as that is the ‘bulldog DNA’ that has been missing

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hey thanks
It’s good to see soem ijsight into our players
Did he really say that shit about me? I like him more now. I didn’t realise he’s following my progress.

Also, since he’s name dropped me…. I think this proves he has been reading the kennel and putting tabs on a few members.
I know that Gus was a closet member of league unlimited, as confirmed by the mods there, but seems he is here too.
It’s good to keep because I was worried about how his appointment would affect me when I’m playing Mounties and dogs.
Post your number up on here so it's easier for him to contact you.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wasn't 100% sold on this but it's done now. I do respect peoples opinion who are excited about it.

For him to succeed he needs a junior level coach which he has in Barrett.

The coaching saga at Penrith wasn't ideal, sack a coach, hire another one then bring back the one you already sacked and paid out.

His role will be different to Penrith, he doesn't need to focus on anything financial, purely football. We have good backing in the leagues club plus decent sponsors and others waiting to come on board.

He needs to focus on the junior pathways, helping with effective recruitment and mentoring Barrett.
From memory I don't think he wanted Ivan back at Penrith. That decision was made by others and led to a falling out and him eventually leaving.

As I said yesterday, Gus isn't one to stay in the one role long term. But if he can help turn the club around in two to three years and help establish better structures and foundations, then it would have been worth it.. We've been at rock bottom for five years and there's no one better qualified than him out there to appoint so it's worth a try.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With the roosters a lot of stories floated around that Graham Murray got the ass because Gus was trying to manipulate from the back ground (especially when the roosters made the gf in 2000) and in the end Murray was sacked with many believing Gus was heavily involved

Gould bought Ricky Stuart in and after a few years of success same thing happened (Gus trying to tell Ricky how to run the show)

I’m a bit 50/50 with his appointment like he was telling Barrett to not sign as we were basically a ‘basket case’ which when you think about it We are atm
Has Gus seen/heard of turnaround and wants to hop in get a fat pay cheque and then gloat how he did it all?!

Fingers crossed I’m wrong and we start making semis every year and contending for premierships as that is the ‘bulldog DNA’ that has been missing
I remember those clashes at the time and he also had a run in with Griffin and Cleary. But the Roosters were constant contenders during the Murray/Stuart years and Penrith improved massively during and after Gus' tenure there so there are plenty of positives also.

Baz isn't as confrontational as any of those four other coaches so I think it will be less of an issue between the two of them.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a game changer for us and a big step in the right direction bringing someone of Gould’s knowledge and power to the club. We can only be better off for doing it. I don’t care what anyone says he made the Panthers what they are today as they have been able to establish a line of juniors that go on to make first grade. Before anybody attribute it to anyone else he would have had a big say in the appointment of anyone’s name mentioned inadvertently. My opinion on Ivan is that Gus got him to the club to ensure they kept Nathan as there were lots of rumours at the time he was joining his old man at the tigers.

I’m personally stoked with him coming here. He will help bring players to the club but the real fruits of his labour won’t be scene for 3-4 years.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
From memory I don't think he wanted Ivan back at Penrith. That decision was made by others and led a falling out and him eventually leaving.

As I said yesterday, Gus isn't one to stay in the one role long term. But if he can help turn the club around in two to three years and help establish better structures and foundations, then it would have been worth it.. We've been at rock bottom for five years and there's no one better qualified than him out there to appoint so it's worth a try.
I think you're right about a short term thing. I was going to say in my op I wouldn't want it to be for more than 2-3 years which i think is the length he signed on for.

I don't think the current set-up is working, Hansen wasn't going to be able to help Barrett properly and I hope Gould moves Peter Sharp on because I don't think he's the right fit either.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

We're likely going to have all that.

There'll be good and bad. There'll be controversy.

But in the meantime our club will be rebuilt.

Early on the focus will be correcting the wrongs and putting in place good systems and recruitment for juniors and grade.

The problems will start after everyone loses focus and are not busy on the rebuild, and after we are successful.

If they keep that in mind it will work. Its only 3 years at this stage and in the meantime we will be rising out of the ashes.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been on a high all morning after waking up to this. So many positives. Surely this is the end of the signing of the plodders.... Three years will mean players will be confident to come here. Sponsors. Guidance for Trent. So much more

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Having one dominant bloke in charge seems to work best for the Berries/Bulldogs.

We have many competing factions and a strong, decisive, competent decision maker seems our best solution to that.

Bullfrog kicked off our rise to the top during his era and we've languished down the bottom for several years recently as competing factions tore apart at the fabric of achieving a united club.

Not everyone likes the bloke but most acknowledge his influence and power in the game.

In that Dept we have the best there is to help change our fortunes towards success.

We have sunk so low and our new management were smart enough to recognise we needed the best, most influentual, well connected bloke out there to help them along in achieving success, for our club.

There was no other option out there big enough to immediately set us on the right path.

JK and all those concerned have done very well by the club. There will be ups and downs and no doubt puzzling decisions by Gould, but they have set in place the best possible solution to our footy troubles.

We've hit the ground running with Gus.
Wendog, you and I agree on lots of topics. While I don't have a strong opinion on Gus in this role, I do have concerns that there will be lots of dramas. He is a very polarising person.

My wife and I were on a boxing day lunch cruise to watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart a few years ago. Gus was on the next table and clearly didn't want to be there.

Erin Molan was a crew member on one of the yachts. While my wife was getting a drink she said "excuse me Phil do you know what boat Erin Molan is on". He replied "don't know" and walked away.

Since them I haven't been his number one fan.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think you're right about a short term thing. I was going to say in my op I wouldn't want it to be for more than 2-3 years which i think is the length he signed on for.

I don't think the current set-up is working, Hansen wasn't going to be able to help Barrett properly and I hope Gould moves Peter Sharp on because I don't think he's the right fit either.
Yeah he'll definitely make his own appointments as he's not afraid to stamp his authority and be ruthless which is what we've needed. Everyone needs to be held to a higher standard. Hopefully his first moves are to get rid of Furner and Ferris.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a game changer for us and a big step in the right direction bringing someone of Gould’s knowledge and power to the club. We can only be better off for doing it. I don’t care what anyone says he made the Panthers what they are today as they have been able to establish a line of juniors that go on to make first grade. Before anybody attribute it to anyone else he would have had a big say in the appointment of anyone’s name mentioned inadvertently. My opinion on Ivan is that Gus got him to the club to ensure they kept Nathan as there were lots of rumours at the time he was joining his old man at the tigers.

I’m personally stoked with him coming here. He will help bring players to the club but the real fruits of his labour won’t be scene for 3-4 years.
Think you hit the nail on the head re Ivan returning to Penrith.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wendog, you and I agree on lots of topics. While I don't have a strong opinion on Gus in this role, I do have concerns that there will be lots of dramas. He is a very polarising person.

My wife and I were on a boxing day lunch cruise to watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart a few years ago. Gus was on the next table and clearly didn't want to be there.

Erin Molan was a crew member on one of the yachts. While my wife was getting a drink she said "excuse me Phil do you know what boat Erin Molan is on". He replied "don't know" and walked away.

Since them I haven't been his number one fan.
Can imagine that happening for sure. He prob is a grumpy so and so.

I had a friend who asked JJ for an autograph at a game and apparently he rudely said no.

It happens. We aren't always at our best.

I know Gus is going to be hard work at times but for me ...our reality is, we are so far down and Baz is under performing as coach. We have no experience or not enough street cred to make any difference to improving the club as is...and truth is we need Gould or continue as hasbeens so I am willing to give it a go....we can't sink much further no matter what so need this as a life line.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus will be the big dog calling the shots from now on I’d say. Hopefully anyone that doesn’t like it plays nice.
If Steve Hanson is supposively an advisor to Barrett I can't see his role continuing with Gus now there. I think Hansons role with us will go the same way Gus's role went with the Worriors and that is it will end very soon. The logical move for the Warriors would be to take on Hanson imo.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i wonder if Gould is thinking bring Bennet as a coaching director for a year help mentor Baz and then can go on his way to the new brissy club