Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Steve Hanson is supposively an advisor to Barrett I can't see his role continuing with Gus now there. I think Hansons role with us will go the same way Gus's role went with the Worriors and that is it will end very soon. The logical move for the Warriors would be to take on Hanson imo.
I'm not really worried what happens to Hansen to be honest. I think his role was never as big as the club tried to make it look.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wendog, you and I agree on lots of topics. While I don't have a strong opinion on Gus in this role, I do have concerns that there will be lots of dramas. He is a very polarising person.

My wife and I were on a boxing day lunch cruise to watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart a few years ago. Gus was on the next table and clearly didn't want to be there.

Erin Molan was a crew member on one of the yachts. While my wife was getting a drink she said "excuse me Phil do you know what boat Erin Molan is on". He replied "don't know" and walked away.

Since them I haven't been his number one fan.
Fair enough if that's how you feel as these things do happen.

I had something similar with Turvey twice, once as a kid when he was playing (was quite rude to my mum after she asked for a photo with me when I was playing local club football) and as an adult when he rocked up at an old work place where he simply ignored me and walked off. The third time I saw him at a business event, I ignored him instead and didn't walk up to say hi to him. As a kid he had been my favourite player.

Anyway all that stuff aside Turvey loves the club and bleeds blue and white even if he has treated supporters poorly in the past. In the same way while Gus behaved that way to you guys, I think he will still be a great appointment for the club and will achieve some great things. He will say the right things to the right people when called upon to do so to benefit the club.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wendog, you and I agree on lots of topics. While I don't have a strong opinion on Gus in this role, I do have concerns that there will be lots of dramas. He is a very polarising person.

My wife and I were on a boxing day lunch cruise to watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart a few years ago. Gus was on the next table and clearly didn't want to be there.

Erin Molan was a crew member on one of the yachts. While my wife was getting a drink she said "excuse me Phil do you know what boat Erin Molan is on". He replied "don't know" and walked away.

Since them I haven't been his number one fan.
She might have been better off saying Mr Gould as she didnt know him... Respect is everything.....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
She might have been better off saying Mr Gould as she didnt know him... Respect is everything.....
If anyone at this club, or any of our supporters, members or fans, is expected to call him Mr Gould then he can leave now :grinning:

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould is rugby league‘s version of a whore. Wasn’t that long ago he was in charge of Penrith, then he dipped his lid at the Dragons, then it was the Warriors and now the Bulldogs.
The same Phil Gould who warned Barrett not to take the Dogs coaching role. Penrith have thrived since he left. His review of the Dragons achieved Jack shit and how are the Warriors going ?
Gus is so overrated, it’s sickening
If you look on the surface you can come up with that to suit your narrative. He is successful in the game full STOP. A lot of people don’t like him and being a strong leader and his personality will only get him friends or enemies but nothing in between. You can’t lead people that don’t want to be lead and these would be the majority who piss and moan about him.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not going to lie. I shed a tear at this news. I truly hope we can be that powerhouse club again like Melbourne and what Brisbane were.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Having one dominant bloke in charge seems to work best for the Berries/Bulldogs.

We have many competing factions and a strong, decisive, competent decision maker seems our best solution to that.

Bullfrog kicked off our rise to the top during his era and we've languished down the bottom for several years recently as competing factions tore apart at the fabric of achieving a united club.

Not everyone likes the bloke but most acknowledge his influence and power in the game.

In that Dept we have the best there is to help change our fortunes towards success.

We have sunk so low and our new management were smart enough to recognise we needed the best, most influentual, well connected bloke out there to help them along in achieving success, for our club.

There was no other option out there big enough to immediately set us on the right path.

JK and all those concerned have done very well by the club. There will be ups and downs and no doubt puzzling decisions by Gould, but they have set in place the best possible solution to our footy troubles.

We've hit the ground running with Gus.
Not far wrong Wendy, Kevin Ryan was "the dominant bloke in charge" before Bullfrog and he started the rise.

Always a Bulldog

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes I told you all when Barrett signed that
History 2024 our next grand final victory!

1974 lost to Easts 19-4 in Grand Final
1984 Beat Parra 6-4 in Grand Final
1994 lost to Canb 36-12 in GF (Meniga farewell)
2004 beat East 16-13 in GF
2014 lost to Souths 30-6 in GF
2024 ?

So every decade ending with a 4 we make GF!
Every 20 years we win it!!!

A bit of History for Nasheed 2 learn b4 he spruiks that he has supported the Dogs for 20 years.

There are many hear who have supported them for longer than I.

I live on the north shore & have supported by beloved Bulldogs since I was 6 in 1979!!!

Dogs till I Die!!!

Beware of the Wounded Bulldogs!!!

We will howl & Bark again soon!!!
Most importantly...We need to bite too :grinning:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not far wrong Wendy, Kevin Ryan was "the dominant bloke in charge" before Bullfrog and he started the rise.

Always a Bulldog
Yes too true. KR should be recognised more for setting the tough play, and standards, that completely changed the clubs ethics and fortunes.

Thanks for the reminder.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bullfrog 2021 reincarnated as a old man with bags under his eyes and a channel 9 commentator .. trust me
Could has connections he will entice big names to the club . We don’t need to call any rejects we got the man we want and watch us win win win . YALLAH LETS GO

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring hertz and oak milk, lobby for funding for new stadium at belmore

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that Gould is the god sent that everyone is making out.. be glad to be proven wrong..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that Gould is the god sent that everyone is making out.. be glad to be proven wrong..
We have been acting like an excitable cheer squad ;) no doubt.... but whats the alternative...