Phil Gould says roster clean out coming to clean salary cap

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe there is a big signing coming up, and we have to make space in the cap.
Precisely what I was thinking also, I don’t think it’s a matter of our cap being under that much pressure, more likely just trying to free up a bit more cash to sign someone like Brandon Smith and piss off some dead wood at the same time. That’s how I read into it anyway.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d be happy pissing off Elliott, Cotric and Allan! We absolutely must keep Thompson because he is one player that actually earns his pay packet unlike the other players mentioned.

For the money thompson is on he def hasnt been earning it, Guys been caught out in defense and hasnt been playing big mins, Then you look at how many games he has missed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our squad/top 30 for next year being at least 95% of our salary cap is worrying. Gus said we have 1 spot to fill for a minimum wage player. We have to improve next year (we said the same going into this year) but I still think it's going to be a few years of pain unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat (in regards to recruitment) somehow. I think we have the roster next year to compete with the Tigers which is nowhere near where we want to be.

Waldo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Players are developing give it time. Bulldogs will be a top 8 side 23 onwards

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good cause the whole squad we have there now are pure shit we have all wanted someone to come in and do this yes we will lose some players we like but it’s time Gus will do it he has sat back and watched the players the last couple of weeks and he is gonna make moves this off season all for it

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need a NFL draft system, also
the problem is we don’t have quality juniors coming through to fill the gaps like Penrith and Melbourne.
So shit teams like us have to overpay shit players to be 95% salary cap compliant and then have to overpay standard players to entice them to come and it’s a never ending cycle of salary cap problems which is the what we are facing at the moment.
These shit players know they are being over paid on good contacts and will simply not leave. I hope Gus puts a broomstick through the place and cleans out all these duds.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our squad/top 30 for next year being at least 95% of our salary cap is worrying. Gus said we have 1 spot to fill for a minimum wage player. We have to improve next year (we said the same going into this year) but I still think it's going to be a few years of pain unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat (in regards to recruitment) somehow. I think we have the roster next year to compete with the Tigers which is nowhere near where we want to be.
A Rabbit like Benji?

Malla

Reaction score
This does not seem like a good thing for Baz.

He brought in Flanno, Allen, Waddell and played a big part in re-signing Elliot. Surely the fact that Gus wants to clear out most of those contracts it doesn't put Baz in the best position moving forward.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d be happy pissing off Elliott, Cotric and Allan! We absolutely must keep Thompson because he is one player that actually earns his pay packet unlike the other players mentioned.
Sure thommo is our best player, but he is not worth what he is being paid that's why Gus told him to field offer's from other clubs, and the only club that showed any real interest was the tigers. Thommo is on similar money to player's like JWH,Haas and JFH and he is no where near the value of those players
let the purge continue.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hard to argue really.

I still have vivid memories of Barrett being very vocal about recruitment last year - "We don't want to rush anything. We have to really make sure we get it right". Club then goes on arguably the worst recruitment drive in it's history when you look at hype/investment to actual returns. Gould must be shaking his head in disgust.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
gus just put on twitter we have 29 spots filled and number 30 will be a minimum player signing

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is slightly concerning. I said when it was mentioned we had a war chest I was worried we wouldn’t spend the money where needed. We needed to invest in the spine. We signed Burton, who is an outstanding signing. We’ve signed Dufty who I think will be good for us. But could also go the other way. We realistically should of thrown money at Reynolds. Our spine is still lacking. Seems like no player is safe for next season. Allen and Cotric is who I’d be letting go.

Gus also confirmed we’ve signed Josh Cook from Souths. Maybe he can be our answer at 9.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"We don't want to rush anything. We have to really make sure we get it right". Club then goes on arguably the worst recruitment drive in it's history when you look at hype/investment to actual returns. Gould must be shaking his head in disgust.
The Bronco's signed Reynolds for not much more than we signed TPJ. Blows my mind. Now we try to offload Thompson because we've spent too much on forwards!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is slightly concerning. I said when it was mentioned we had a war chest I was worried we wouldn’t spend the money where needed. We needed to invest in the spine. We signed Burton, who is an outstanding signing. We’ve signed Dufty who I think will be good for us. But could also go the other way. We realistically should of thrown money at Reynolds. Our spine is still lacking. Seems like no player is safe for next season. Allen and Cotric is who I’d be letting go.

Gus also confirmed we’ve signed Josh Cook from Souths. Maybe he can be our answer at 9.
Mate we would have had to pay $1 million for Reynolds . If we had done that we wouldn’t have got TPJ and Vaughan.

Unfortunately with Flanno still on the books we can’t pay top money for a half.

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to what Gus says publicly. He has a way of spinning things after the fact. He denied the Griffin rumours right up until he was punted.

I would be stunned if the 29 players he is referring to are all at the dogs next year

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould's comments about having 29 in top 30 and only room for minimum $ player confirms that the priority needs to be, and no doubt is, is moving players that are not providing value for money. Not necessarily just about player ability - all about value for money and whether they are willing to leave and there is some club somewhere in the rl universe willing to take them. Goulds networks, influence n negotiation skills will now be tested.

All this before signing any more quality players

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's no need to worry about only one squad spot being available when at least four or five contracted players will be moved on.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's no need to worry about only one squad spot being available when at least four or five contracted players will be moved on.
Yeah thats how i see it... There will be players shifting in the off season.