Opinion Pay vs Barrett: Opening 4 Rounds Comparison 2020 vs 2021

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Because people are comparing Barrett this year to a team that had the Morris brothers, Klemmer, Woods and Foran, Hoppa and Tolman when they were more serviceable and not as old, Elliott on the bench and he still did nothing with that team that should have made the finals..
I'm afraid not, once again they are comparing it to the 2020 team

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm afraid not, once again they are comparing it to the 2020 team
How can you compare a coaches record in his third season with someone in his first? Wouldn't their first seasons be a better comparison? Anyway, I'm sick of arguing about such inane, pointless crap.

I hope we win two in a row after Melbourne and some of the Barrett haters heads explode about the thought of having to cheer and be positive..

And if we still struggle for the next several weeks, I'll join you in asking for Barrett's head. Let's wait and see what happens as it's all out of our control. Til then, I'll support the team and hope they improve unlike some of our fans who are death riding us..

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No we are analysing the stats, we moved on from Pay and Barrett was supposed to be an upgrade and improve our attack.
That’s why you shouldn’t believe 90% of what’s written and stated in the media
They’re mostly full of shit and push their own agenda

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Why? He still had that team for the first half of the season. I agree after that, the issues with Woods and moving players on made it harder.

But those are similar excuses that people are making for Barrett regarding six again impact (look at Manly and Nth Qld), injuries/suspensions and a horror draw.

Anyway, I don't understand the point of the thread. Pay wasn't a good coach. He was given three years. Barrett has made mistakes with selections and signings and may not be the answer as our coach either. Time will tell. Not scoring in three weeks is unacceptable.

But he's going to coach the rest of the season at least and we signed a top 5 half in Burton and Addo-Carr in part because if Barrett's contacts. So even if he is eventually fired, at least we would have got more to show for it to build for the future than we ever did under Pay..
You’ve posted that lineup to attempt to highlight an apparent abundance of talent that Pay had at his disposal yet the reality is that the highest paid/profile players in that lineup collectively played merely 20% of the games within Pays tenure. Which is why I’ve labelled your attempted comparison absurd.

It is a fact that that team was significantly weakened gradually between 2018-2020, so I don’t understand why some fans expected improved results. Season 2021 is the year when the squad begins to improve and results should follow. That is Barrett’s immediate job and he should be critiqued accordingly from Ball 1.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
How can you compare a coaches record in his third season with someone in his first? Wouldn't their first seasons be a better comparison? Anyway, I'm sick of arguing about such inane, pointless crap.

I hope we win two in a row after Melbourne and some of the Barrett haters heads explode about the thought of having to cheer and be positive..

And if we still struggle for the next several weeks, I'll join you in asking for Barrett's head. Let's wait and see what happens as it's all out of our control. Til then, I'll support the team and hope they improve unlike some of our fans who are death riding us..
ffs you complain about the 2018 season not being a fair comparison because he had a better roster, then when you find out this is actually about 2020 season comparisons you complain about that and say why didn't they use 2018 instead?

the creator of the thread obviously was trying to make a statement by taking the worst season of dean pay and show that trent barrett has been even worse so far, of course its about them scoring some points for their long term battle on behalf of pay but i like it because barrett was heralded as the attacking coach who knows how to do it in modern nrl compared to pay who is an idiot prop who doesn't know anything

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ok lets do a completely fair comparison as coach, Georgallis vs Barrett, 2020 vs 2021, 1st 4 games in charge against 1st 4 games in charge

Georgallis (vs Stgeorge, Newcastle, Parramatta and Melbourne, even that is a fair comparison ffs)
1 win
16.5pts scored per game

Barrett
0 wins
4pts scored per game

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serious question, what’s the point of this thread. Is it to say Pay was a good coach, none of the other 15 clubs are using him in any capacity as far as I know. Barrett is here now, judge him later this year based on who he’s signed and what’s happened not after 4 rounds.
Finally some sense spoken, pull this stat thread out at the end of the year not after 4 games lol

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Napa signed with Klemmer’s money mate.
Not sure about Stimson but not top dollar.
The rest I don’t disagree. I’m not anti Baz at all. We’ve had a very disappointing start but of course it’s going to take time. Same as some on here were bagging Thommo after 2 games last year. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him by a long shot. Hopefully a glimpse of that begins from this Saturday.
Yes I think it was about $600-$650k which was always a huge amount for Napa considering he did his best work as a bench forward. Agree 100% mate training in isolation away from your family with no footy under your belt isn’t exactly the ideal prep for your NRL debut. I think he will make an impact this week but will still need a few games under his belt to really hit his straps. I know some be expecting a Shane Webke performance but a little dose of reality goes a long way.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Come on Ben, posting that R1 2018 team up and using it as some form of credible yardstick for comparing then and now is a very lazy and narrow minded manoeuvre. Simply does not paint an accurate picture.

When that team took the field our salary cap was in absolute turmoil due to mismanagement. As a consequence 2 of our ‘marquee’ players in that lineup were being shopped around and were playing for other clubs halfway through that season. Our 1.1M/season flop missed half the season (as well as the next 2 seasons) due to injury. The other ‘name’ players in that lineup were forced out by seasons end. This was all just to return to cap compliance which meant minimal significant or even apt replacements could be secured.

Depth outside of that 17 was frighteningly skinny and remained that way due to forced inactivity in the market and a dearth of junior talent coming through the grades due to unforgivable negligence by those previously in charge. I can go on but surely don’t need to.

Ive seen yourself and another member present that team for comparison purposes and I hope it’s never used again as it doesn’t even come close to telling the full story. You’re better than that.
Mate agree you need to be comparing apples with apples but I don’t know how we can do that in this thread after round 4, especially with so many mitigating factors. Whilst it was unfair to judge Pay for certain circumstances beyond his control the same can be said for Barrett who has had the grand total of one off season to completely overhaul our systems and navigate through a horror run of injuries and suspensions.

Last edited:

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay first 4 rounds of 2020 - 46 points scored an average of 11.5 points per game

Barrett first 4 rounds of 2021 - 16 points scored an average of 4 points per game
and pay played in 2021
eels
cowboys
manly
dragons and won 1
Barrett played
knights
panthers
broncos
rabbits

pay should of won at least 2 of those and ours this year was harder soo

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope we go 5 rounds without scoring.
Just see you whinging farks crying like the sooks you are.
Stop your whinging and go follow the roosters ya muppets.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said before the season started that for all the positivity surrounding the club, we had a very tough start and could potentially be 5-0. We have a whole new spine who are still gelling. Whilst it is very alarming the start we have had. We have to be realistic. Our roster is still very much sub par. The clean out will be thorough this season. Next year will be the year to judge Barrett. Not this season. This year was always a right-off.
We will be 0 from 10

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I hope we go 5 rounds without scoring.
Just see you whinging farks crying like the sooks you are.
Stop your whinging and go follow the roosters ya muppets.
I follow the Titans, thankyou very much.