Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You just described me and possibly KE lol

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they were to make a a profile case judged on what you look at online id be a
antisemetic sexual deviant possible terrorist racist **** , who has an obsession with the bulldogs and enjoys cooking
and that would set the wrong picture

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TPG roll over and pass on "Cease and Desist" notices re torrents AND they bought out iiNet recently!

So iiNet are no longer safe.

I'm with Telstra and to be honest they tend to run their own ship, and not really care what customers use their service for. FWIW the Australian Federal Police, as well as Child Protection Squads all use Telstra (mobile & fixed) internet services to catch baddies & pedos.
But there are privacy laws that all companies and employees are bound to .

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kind of. They can't eaves drop on your emails, conversations and such, but they can see what websites you visit and such and there's nothing to protect you with that information. That's why google uses your searches and site visits to tailor adverts to you. There's no real expectation of privacy unless you're on a secure connection.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
With metadata, it doesn't hold any info re sites visited, content of emails/webpages, and infact this data collection won't even show the sites / IPs you have visited. It is more about ISPS storing logs for longer periods, so that in the event something happens and needs to be traced, they can ascertain who contacted those people (phone), who they contacted (phone), and who they emailled or got emails from (transactional and not the content of those emails). In the case of that kid recently, they could track back over the last 8 years who he has contacted by phone/email MUCH faster.

Re C&D and privacy laws
Read right down in the Terms and Conditions of your internet connection contract with your ISP.

You'll find there are conditions whereby the ISP can hand your details over in the event a crime is committed on that connection.

Film company instructs their lawyers to draft up a Cease & Desist to "the person using this IP at this time", and to please pass it on to that person for settlement / prosecution.

Sure Joe Bloggs can't call up and get that information, but the film companies lawyers can suppoena the ISP for those records where they believe a law has been broken.

TPG WILL pass those notices on (I know people that got them for books, software, and movies).
iiNet USED to ignore requests for it.
Telstra ignores them.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With metadata, it doesn't hold any info re sites visited, content of emails/webpages, and infact this data collection won't even show the sites / IPs you have visited. It is more about ISPS storing logs for longer periods, so that in the event something happens and needs to be traced, they can ascertain who contacted those people (phone), who they contacted (phone), and who they emailled or got emails from (transactional and not the content of those emails). In the case of that kid recently, they could track back over the last 8 years who he has contacted by phone/email MUCH faster.

Re C&D and privacy laws
Read right down in the Terms and Conditions of your internet connection contract with your ISP.

You'll find there are conditions whereby the ISP can hand your details over in the event a crime is committed on that connection.

Film company instructs their lawyers to draft up a Cease & Desist to "the person using this IP at this time", and to please pass it on to that person for settlement / prosecution.

Sure Joe Bloggs can't call up and get that information, but the film companies lawyers can suppoena the ISP for those records where they believe a law has been broken.

TPG WILL pass those notices on (I know people that got them for books, software, and movies).
iiNet USED to ignore requests for it.
Telstra ignores them.
so its used moreso to build a case or a profile on a person of interest but the data cannot be used to initiate a case if a crime has not taken place.

For example I can look up how to make a bomb but nothing will happen to me unless there is sufficient evidence to suspect me of a crime

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm an internet noob tbh but if I want to download movies and shows will I get in trouble or its ok?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty much. Like that kid that shot that guy they'd look up his metadata and find who he had been in touch with on the mobile and use that to confirm he had been in contact with them.

Metadata will more be used to firm up police evidence and cases against people. E.G We can CONFIRM this person contacted this person.

You may do (depending on the ISP). Its a bit of a dangerous one these days.
Thanks mr I

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm an internet noob tbh but if I want to download movies and shows will I get in trouble or its ok?
What it basically means with these new laws is that it's easier for companies to get your information if they use a loophole. So a company would get your IP address by monitoring torrents that you're downloading/uploading and want your details so they'd ask the ISP. Your ISP would refuse to turn over your details so the company would go to the AFP and say that you are illegally downloading movies and uploading them to other Australians which if you purchased normally then the government would get a percentage of the profit due to GST.

As that means that the government is losing funding due to the illegal download then the government can obtain your contact information from your ISP and pass it on to the company who will then end up suing you for $14 or something.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
my cousin used to work for DFAT in IT department , 15 years ago.

He told me back then that he was supposed to randomly monitor peoples emails/ internet browsing history etc.

Non of the DFAT people knew about it or maybe they would have been told at the time of signing of the contract on a little clause that what they do on company supplied IT equipment will be monitored. a lot of people just dont bother to read and sign it as usually the DFAT contracts are 100 pages thick.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
my cousin used to work for DFAT in IT department , 15 years ago.

He told me back then that he was supposed to randomly monitor peoples emails/ internet browsing history etc.

Non of the DFAT people knew about it or maybe they would have been told at the time of signing of the contract on a little clause that what they do on company supplied IT equipment will be monitored. a lot of people just dont bother to read and sign it as usually the DFAT contracts are 100 pages thick.
Yep. We had it with our company when I joined. You have to sign an agreement that says that everything you do, including personal emails and personal phone calls on office equipment, is all monitored. It just means that if something goes wrong then they have a solid paper trail. It also makes it very difficult to hire staff but it never bothered me, that's what personnel phones and computers are for.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you are working with us you are bound to an Acceptable Usage, as well as Technology policy.

Not because we want to, but because when an employee leaves, theres no line they won't normally cross.

We've had people attempt to trash their entire inboxes, or try and mass email all our clients before being sacked.. But the systems we have in place stop that dead in their tracks.

Ditto if they try and send details out via hotmail and the like :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.