News Panthers reject latest swap deal offer from Bulldogs for Burton

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No I’m not arguing for the sake of it. My point was, in response to you saying it’s better he didn’t come now to play behind this shitty pack. Whether he came now or next year would be no different. I don’t see the pack being much different next season
It can only get better can't it? It sure can't get any worse. We have 15 players off contract and between $2-3 million to spend to get a hooker and some forwards.

Obviously there's no guarantee that we sign the players we need to make a difference, but the opportunity is there if they spend the cap space well.

They were targeting Leniu and Piakura which is encouraging. As long as we don't sign more rejects like Hetherington and Waddell then we'll be okay.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can only get better can't it? It sure can't get any worse. We have 15 players off contract and between $2-3 million to spend to get a hooker and some forwards.

Obviously there's no guarantee that we sign the players we need to make a difference, but the opportunity is there if they spend the cap space well.

They were targeting Leniu and Piakura which is encouraging. As long as we don't sign more rejects like Hetherington and Waddell then we'll be okay.
Exactly. I certainly hope they don’t overlook the weaknesses in our forward pack whilst targeting strike backs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly. I certainly hope they don’t overlook the weaknesses in our forward pack whilst targeting strike backs
The Titans have shown the importance of signing impact forwards. Fifita and Tino have made a huge impact to go along with Moeaki, Lisone, Wallace, Joliffe etc.

Meanwhile their backline isn't on much money. Wasting money on strike centres etc is pointless without a great pack.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And Klemmer to Knights for nothing
And hanant to the broncos for 1500 tickets, reimis to the storm for nothing and Harper to manly for nothing. We are the club that gets nothing.

Wish we were the storm or panthers who Atleast have the balls to say sorry you aren’t getting released unless there is benefit to the team.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We could do with Remis now with injuries and suspensions and bad form

But we like to give players away because we are the family club

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do we give Reimis for nothing as well, we got fuck all depth
this club never learns

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You start to wonder whether the new CEO/Chairman combo know what they're doing. Losing Andrew Hill could be more significant than people think.
I wonder how long until TK complaints start about Khoury’s leadership :-). Hill was a good operator - still don’t get why he was cut but Khoury wanted Dib as CEO so likely something to do with that. Happy to give Wharby a chance of course. Guess you can never please everyone and it’s a political and ego minefield.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder how long until TK complaints start about Khoury’s leadership :-). Hill was a good operator - still don’t get why he was cut but Khoury wanted Dib as CEO so likely something to do with that. Happy to give Wharby a chance of course. Guess you can never please everyone and it’s a political and ego minefield.
No politics at all Dinkum. Just what's best for the club. You know that much with me. Maybe it's more of a Hill/Warburton thing. Hill did a good job and I still don't know exactly why he left. Warburton had no Rugby League background unlike Hill and that was always a concern for me.

But the way this Burton saga has unfolded is amateur hour and embarrassing for the club. They need to let it go and let him focus on this season. All this back and forth does is make the club look bad, make it unfair on Averillo and Flanagan and put too much pressure on Burton.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Okay, so why did the club change their mind (because they got the decision wrong)? I would of payed all of Napa's salary to play elsewhere if it was the only way to get the deal done.
Because there’s a policy to not to pay players to play elsewhere which bit us in 2018/19. We’re also thin on forwards so it looked different 8 weeks ago. Guess they were willing to bend that rule after the poor season start - similar to allowing a PO for Burton otherwise he wouldn’t have signed. Amazing what you’re willing to do when things aren’t going your way.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No politics at all Dinkum. Just what's best for the club. You know that much with me. Maybe it's more of a Hill/Warburton thing. Hill did a good job and I still don't know exactly why he left. Warburton had no Rugby League background unlike Hill and that was always a concern for me.

But the way this Burton saga has unfolded is amateur hour and embarrassing for the club. They need to let it go and let him focus on this season. All this back and forth does is make the club look bad, make it unfair on Averillo and Flanagan and put too much pressure on Burton.
I wasn’t suggesting it’s political for you mate, I was saying the club is a political minefield. Hill survived 3 (well, 2.5) Chairs in 3 years. I know his contract was up but I don’t think that’s all there was to it. I’ve heard things but unconfirmed so won’t speculate.

Yes they need to let the Burton thing go. Promoting Ava to the 30 may be one step in that. The final spot should only be for any decent 8, 9 or 10 that may become available by then (keeping in mind Thommo’s forthcoming return).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wasn’t suggesting it’s political for you mate, I was saying the club is a political minefield. Hill survived 3 (well, 2.5) Chairs in 3 years. I know his contract was up but I don’t think that’s all there was to it. I’ve heard things but unconfirmed so won’t speculate.

Yes they need to let the Burton thing go. Promoting Ava to the 30 may be one step in that. The final spot should only be for any decent 8, 9 or 10 that may become available by then (keeping in mind Thommo’s forthcoming return).
Yeah there's definitely more to Hill moving on than they've let on. Which is worrying in itself as just when you think we're finally past the political nonsense, it lurks yet again. Even the mention of Dib a few months ago was enough to send shivers down our spines. The way Laundy carries on bugs me also.

Anyway, I'm optimistic solely because of Burton as I think we were lucky enough to sign a genuine top five half in the comp. Without that good news, it would be impossible to try and get through another lost season.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah there's definitely more to Hill moving on than they've let on. Which is worrying in itself as just when you think we're finally past the political nonsense, it lurks yet again. Even the mention of Dib a few months ago was enough to send shivers down our spines. The way Laundy carries on bugs me also.

Anyway, I'm optimistic solely because of Burton as I think we were lucky enough to sign a genuine top five half in the comp. Without that good news, it would be impossible to try and get through another lost season.
Is there a vaccine for the NRL-21 virus?? :tearsofjoy:.
Adding JAC and Burto next year is obviously good and I’m tipping 8-9 will exit stage left end of this season so there’ll be more announcements as the year goes on.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Lol Penrith have surely won this one easily and didn't even bother with the lube. So much so, knowing they won't use lube we went back for more. Fukin embarrassing from our brass. All concerned have shown some amateur on this one. Penrith 2 Dogs 0.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score

You serious.... you want to talk about fair klemmer barba mason sbw hannant Rsmith
J Graham Letting Jt go for ***** like anasta

Dont talk about fair when its us right now we have handed out our bit of fair to this shit fucking corrupt game

Burton derserves more money
Avo is a back
Flano is shit

Hill and the rest of them did a shit job ...
classic Jersey sponsor signing no name fucks like katoa and Crichton and many fucking more problems

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Panthers have one of the best Junior development programs which was developed by Gould.

What would they want to release him?
Obviously to be paid for developing him as they have mentioned several times.

If Dogs had offered them a release fee, they would of more than likely let him go and had some money to keep the development program going strong. That was Gould's vision and it's part of good business.