Our Biggest Dud Signings in the Last 10 Years

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Pretty simple this...

Raelene Castle. Most of the above big $$$'s were under her watch....
I know Greenberg did a lot of good for our club, but FMD he stuffed up by appointing her as his successor.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dylan Napa is the worst

Foran was overpaid and injury prone but he was a quality half and it made sense --> we needed a half

T-Rex just imploded with us and went from a premiership winner and Origin and Test rep to a park footballer... played a grand total of 5 first grade games across two clubs after leaving the 'Dogs... would have been our worst signing if not for Dylan f*+#ing Napa

the Woods signing was bizarre... we didn't need a prop when you consider Moses and Tedesco were on the market, too... and as soon as we signed him, talk started that the club wanted to get rid of him, his form was in the toilet, he was way too soft to sport that stupid hairdo... and soon enough, he was gone and he has been a bit part FGer since

Mbye should be a used car salesman... I have never seen a better act of a supposed marquee footballer from a bang average, barely FG material player... I was stunned the Tigers took him off us... I laughed my arse off when Mbye bemoaned being a marquee player playing off the bench for the Tigers and talking about moving to another club... and incredibly, the Dragons signed him

but the winner is Dylan Napa... his conditioning was terrible... he would play two stints of 10-15 minutes each a game for 50-60 metres of yardage... his effort was non existent in attack, in defence... his discipline was bad... he just didn't want to be out there and eviscerated his career in the process... 2 premierships with the Roosters and 7 Origin games for QLD and a $650K a season to CLUBLESS! at 28 years of age... pathetic

and one to feature in the future... Kyle Flanagan
This - EXACTLY.

One other important mention - Liccha. His signing resulted in us losing Ennis AND Cook. Mind blowing!!!

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cash wise TRex was the worst. Foran cost more but at least he was good when he played, unlike TRex.

For affect on our team in the long term, Lichaa was the worst. Because of him we shipped Damien Cook and got rid of Ennis early, who went on to win a premiership elsewhere
100%
I posted my response before reading yours.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This - EXACTLY.

One other important mention - Liccha. His signing resulted in us losing Ennis AND Cook. Mind blowing!!!
absolutely... Lichaa is in this company... incredibly, when he was playing u20's State of Origin, commentators were referring to him as a young Cameron Smith

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lichaa takes the cake but Flannotrash and Corey Borey Allen are closing in at warp speed!

Wahesh

Reaction score
What
An outgoing CEO doesn't appoint their successor
Small business can operate anyway they want. Public companies often have the board appoint the successor to the CEO by having them on interview panels - and the CEO is often on the board so it goes hand-in-hand. Government can have them on a case-by-case basis. It all comes down to whether or not a handover period is required.

But Greenberg did have a big say in appointing Castle as CEO.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Small business can operate anyway they want. Public companies often have the board appoint the successor to the CEO by having them on interview panels - and the CEO is often on the board so it goes hand-in-hand. Government can have them on a case-by-case basis. It all comes down to whether or not a handover period is required.

But Greenberg did have a big say in appointing Castle as CEO.
Oh so we're a small business now?

We have a board, who make the appointment. End of.

Greenberg may have had a nice word, but he didn't make the appointment as you suggested in the first post, but now you've backtracked to "had a big say"

@BELMORE some further consolidation going on here.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Oh so we're a small business now?

We have a board, who make the appointment. End of.

Greenberg may have had a nice word, but he didn't make the appointment as you suggested in the first post, but now you've backtracked to "had a big say"

@BELMORE some further consolidation going on here.
SMES if you want to be technical.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Hmm yeh I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

Explain again how Greenberg appointed Castle.
Board appoints CEO. CEO is part of the Board.

Wahesh

Reaction score
No.
In 99% of cases the CEO reports to the board. There are other structures where there's an executive director etc.

Again, can you specifically explain how Greenberg appointed his own replacement?
99% LOL. Mate I used to work in Executive Recruitment, and in most cases, an Executive picks a successor (along with a recruitment panel) based on what they need to do the role.

If the Executive is fairly successful in their role (as Greenberg was) they cross reference what they brought with them to the role with what the candidate is trying to sell them.

If I recall correctly, Greenberg had either 6 weeks or 3 months (perhaps the latter) to train and handover operations to Castle. Someone who has to do that will be on the recruitment panel.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darryl Millard must be in the mix to make the team.

In fact I think many of our 2008 squad might get a mention.