Our Biggest Dud Signings in the Last 10 Years

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with all 3 Brad. She rex gave me the most pain though.
Yes he was a HUGE disappointment. I blame Des a lot for his failure though also (besides the fact Des signed him). I remember reading an interview with Williams where Williams said (quote) "I'm sure Des is disappointed in my form" - like Des had never actually told him though. I remember wondering why the f..k not ? If Des had been in his ear he wouldn't be saying "I'm sure Des is". He would be saying "Yes Des is". Seems for a long time Des never told Williams he needed to improve.

Des constantly picked Williams for over a year even though he was playing shit the whole time. When he finally dropped Williams, Williams came back a little stronger for a while. Des should have dropped him much, much earlier.

I remember reading an article about Williams when with Manly and Des got the trainers to go back to basics with Williams right to the catch, pass and run skills. Soon after that was when Williams was at his best for Manly and played for Australia. Pity Des never gave Williams the same attention I believe while he was with us.

This is one of Williams' 3 good runs for us. Shows exactly what he was capable of. Des failed to motivate him to do it more often though.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes he was a HUGE disappointment. I blame Des a lot for his failure though also (besides the fact Des signed him). I remember reading an interview with Williams where Williams said (quote) "I'm sure Des is disappointed in my form" - like Des had never actually told him though. I remember wondering why the f..k not ? If Des had been in his ear he wouldn't be saying "I'm sure Des is". He would be saying "Yes Des is". Seems for a long time Des never told Williams he needed to improve.

Des constantly picked Williams for over a year even though he was playing shit the whole time. When he finally dropped Williams, Williams came back a little stronger for a while. Des should have dropped him much, much earlier.

I remember reading an article about Williams when with Manly and Des got the trainers to go back to basics with Williams right to the catch, pass and run skills. Soon after that was when Williams was at his best for Manly and played for Australia. Pity Des never gave Williams the same attention I believe while he was with us.

This is one of Williams' 3 good runs for us. Shows exactly what he was capable of. Des failed to motivate him to do it more often though.
I miss peak lafai for us in the early days ... It's a shame the way his career went

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree on Foran, he said he would repay the club due to as u say the money he made and not playing many games. But when we made the offer he should have took it to repay the club IMO.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes t-rex was a flop but that run alone is better than anything Napa has produced in the last 3 years.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cash wise TRex was the worst. Foran cost more but at least he was good when he played, unlike TRex.

For affect on our team in the long term, Lichaa was the worst. Because of him we shipped Damien Cook and got rid of Ennis early, who went on to win a premiership elsewhere
I agree on t-rat but disagree on lichaa. I blame des for not keeping cook and the rest

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

And everybody was calling for Des to put Dorothy on the bench bc his form warranted short, big impact stints rather than starting. But of course stubborn Despot wasn't gonna be listening to any one else and just kept picking him to start regardless.

Des, Pay, Steve, Baz they've all just kept with some really silly selections and played favourites and messed about the team.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most of the above is very valid lol.!!!

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hands down Waddell. Sue and Flanagan not far behind.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s not exclude those in the not the most expensive but still why category: Matt Frawley and John Olive.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
foran when he played was the best player on ground in most of those games. He unfortunately as we know had bad run with injury. i cant place him in this category.
Woods agree with, Trex to some extent only because of the money he was on.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm sure when he resigned he had a year to go. Seems like ages ago he put pen to paper
Yeah true. He re-signed for 3 years in December 2019. 2020 was the last year of his previous deal…

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hands down Michael Lichaa for mine
my mate coached him in flegg at the sharks, and said when we signed him how good he was.
absolute dud in FG, didnt make tje jump in grade unfortunately