Our Biggest Dud Signings in the Last 10 Years

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Our Biggest Dud Signings in the Last 10 Years

Yes, I know, there's no point in dwelling on the past, what's done is done, but some people are looking for answers and/or wanting to know where things went wrong, let's discuss dissect and discuss them.

1. Keiran Foran. He was on somewhere between $1,000,000 and $1,200,000 per season, and never played out a full season. You would expect someone on that kind of money to be a marquee player, but Keiran had absolutely no impact on the team, and we missed the finals every year he was with us. Now if we take aside his injuries, and look at what else happened. He was expecting to take a paycut from the Bulldogs given how much he earned and how little he played, yet he was still no happy with our offer. Many other players would've jumped at the offer we made him, but it wasn't good enough.

Greedy, injury-prone, and not willing to repay the club for the trust they placed in him - far and away the worst.

2. Tony Williams. Good old T-Rex. He set the world on fire in his earlier years at Parramatta and then Manly. Tony managed to play 80 games for us, but never made any kind of impact. Big for nothing like a Charlie Leano MkII, this guy did nothing for the club in attack or defense. He managed to play 5 games for Cronulla before being released, joining Parramatta, and playing 1 game. He is now, for obvious reasons, a free agent.

3. Aaron Woods. It still baffles me how this dud has played for New South Wales and even Australia. He is a plodder of the highest order. He plays games and isn't very injury prone, but he is NOT a game changer, and not the kind of forward that people have faith in. He's a player that just makes up the numbers and I have no idea what Des Hasler saw in him. I would've been happier signing one of Sims brothers instead of this hack.

4. Dylan Napa. Big Papi? This bloke was a big tool. It's not mystery that as soon as he signs with us, a sex video of him is released. Then on the field, the ranga made absolutely no impact whatsoever. He won a Premiership with the Roosters in 2018 thanks to being behind a team that was, in every way, over the salary cap. He comes to a club that needs all the help it can get, and does nothing. He hasn't received a contract yet for 2022 (surprise surprise), and it's not looking hopeful. How he played for Queensland is... well... anyone's guess.

5. Drury Low and Moses Mbye. We have a tie for 5th place shared by 2 duds.

Drury Low: while Ben Barba missed out the start to the 2013 season, Drury Low stepped in. He couldn't take or do anything you require a fullback to do. He had some speed, but he could never play to put it to good use. The best result he could do for us was 2 tries in one game (playing on the wing, mind you, and being put into space), but didn't do much else after playing a total of 9 games. It's no wonder why he couldn't secure a contract with another NRL club after his contract with us expired in 2014. He is currently playing Group 6 Rugby League for the Narellan Jets.

Moses Mbye: While he debut with us, he showed some good promise at playing five-eighth or hooker, but whatever craze that was disappeared pretty quickly. He then was re-signing for a further 2 years at something probably close to a million a season, and played fullback. Here, there were some good signs. Again, it disappeared pretty quickly, and the kind of talking himself up was released by Dean Pay. I'm gobsmacked he actually managed to play for Queensland in State of Origin - however I'm glad he did because that trip he took in 2019 effectively handed NSW the series.

Out of these duds TWO of them have signed with St. George-Illawarra - Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye. Goodluck Dragons, you'll need it. I expect a long 2022 ahead for them.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dylan Napa is the worst

Foran was overpaid and injury prone but he was a quality half and it made sense --> we needed a half

T-Rex just imploded with us and went from a premiership winner and Origin and Test rep to a park footballer... played a grand total of 5 first grade games across two clubs after leaving the 'Dogs... would have been our worst signing if not for Dylan f*+#ing Napa

the Woods signing was bizarre... we didn't need a prop when you consider Moses and Tedesco were on the market, too... and as soon as we signed him, talk started that the club wanted to get rid of him, his form was in the toilet, he was way too soft to sport that stupid hairdo... and soon enough, he was gone and he has been a bit part FGer since

Mbye should be a used car salesman... I have never seen a better act of a supposed marquee footballer from a bang average, barely FG material player... I was stunned the Tigers took him off us... I laughed my arse off when Mbye bemoaned being a marquee player playing off the bench for the Tigers and talking about moving to another club... and incredibly, the Dragons signed him

but the winner is Dylan Napa... his conditioning was terrible... he would play two stints of 10-15 minutes each a game for 50-60 metres of yardage... his effort was non existent in attack, in defence... his discipline was bad... he just didn't want to be out there and eviscerated his career in the process... 2 premierships with the Roosters and 7 Origin games for QLD and a $650K a season to CLUBLESS! at 28 years of age... pathetic

and one to feature in the future... Kyle Flanagan

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
must be said, so many implosions of representative calibre recruits at our club in the last 10 years is also an indictment of us and our inability to get the most out of our players... too many have happened with us for it to be just a coincidence or the player's fault or just injury etc.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Cash wise TRex was the worst. Foran cost more but at least he was good when he played, unlike TRex.

For affect on our team in the long term, Lichaa was the worst. Because of him we shipped Damien Cook and got rid of Ennis early, who went on to win a premiership elsewhere

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years back I saw Drury Low training for the Narellan Jets 1st grade .. even then he would have been out of his depth …

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Buck stops with the management. As soon as Greenburg left things went down hill rapidly.

Dib & Rae & Lynne were a complete and utter disaster

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
#1 Napa.

At least Foran was our best player when fit (yes, only played 50-75% of games). Napa was worse than minimum wage players in the top 30. Katoa's also up there due to the position he plays and how much game time he actually ended up getting (I know he was only on minimum wage).

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I agree with

Napa - just pure shit / useless
Tony Williams (a whimp like him doesn't deserve the name T-Rex) Probably made about 3 decent hit-ups in his time with us. Napa made ZERO
Woods - totally ineffective in the few games he played for us. I remember him getting smashed by some young opposing forward

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even though he was a bargain basement signing, Clay Priest was an absolute shocker.

Game after game - same routine. Start on bench. Injected into play. Concede a dumb penalty or two. Make average metres. Meathead in every sense of the word

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I agree with

Napa - just pure shit / useless
Tony Williams (a whimp like him doesn't deserve the name T-Rex) Probably made about 3 decent hit-ups in his time with us. Napa made ZERO
Woods - totally ineffective in the few games he played for us. I remember him getting smashed by some young opposing forward
Agree with all 3 Brad. She rex gave me the most pain though.