Opal Tower Crumbling

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
My new apartment (completed 2017) was built by an Italian owned family builder (not a huge developer, not a small one, probably a mid size company).

They did an awesome job.

The problems we've had have been 100% due to the dodgy Chinese Australian developer.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My new apartment (completed 2017) was built by an Italian owned family builder (not a huge developer, not a small one, probably a mid size company).

They did an awesome job.

The problems we've had have been 100% due to the dodgy Chinese Australian developer.
Did you end up with your whole apartment covered in marble?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Did you end up with your whole apartment covered in marble?
haha nah.

But our apartment is considered at the higher end of most sydney apartments. Beautiful high ceilings, kitchen is 100% Miele appliances, bathroom beautifully done, solid oak floor boards throughout the entire apartment.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
haha nah.

But our apartment is considered at the higher end of most sydney apartments. Beautiful high ceilings, kitchen is 100% Miele appliances, bathroom beautifully done, solid oak floor boards throughout the entire apartment.
Nice

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My wife's uncle is Maltese and has a unit. Everything is concrete. Even the cutlery is concrete. He believes he needs more. If Maltese could concrete their cocks, they'd do it.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
My wife's uncle is Maltese and has a unit. Everything is concrete. Even the cutlery is concrete. He believes he needs more. If Maltese could concrete their cocks, they'd do it.
I'm a landscape architect - I often spec Greek backyards aka hundo percent concrete lol

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
My house was built by Lebs, they did an awesome job too. The builders that worry me are the Chinese ones. They use cheap products and cut corners everywhere.
The builder of my house is Lebanese.

Most of the house was built great but the plumbing is a bit dodgy.
They tried to cut corners but have been caught out.

I’ll stick to what I said before, silicone is good but it’s not the answer to all problems!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
@K E this guy who likes to concrete everything, why don’t you just get home some concrete boots?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
CAN WE KEEP THE RACIAL ATTACKS OUT OF THIS THREAD?

If not I'll have to start removing people from the thread.

Thanks!!

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill admit it..

In this scenario of the opal tower, renters are better off.. building is a shocker, but they can just grab their bags, shoes and tv and shift into another rental property.

The owners will be cooked financially with an inability to sell these units. They have all lost $400-500k each in value.

Renters were the smarter occupants

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ill admit it..

In this scenario of the opal tower, renters are better off.. building is a shocker, but they can just grab their bags, shoes and tv and shift into another rental property.

The owners will be cooked financially with an inability to sell these units. They have all lost $400-500k each in value.

Say walla...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ill admit it..

Landlords are getting doubley (sp?) fucked.

They can't charge rent given the tenants aren't staying there, AND the tenants are getting accomodation paid for by developer, as well as $100 per person per day in meal allowances.

Civil action is going to be huge on this one and apparently lawyers have already circled.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nlivable-repairs-needed-floor-Opal-tower.html

Structural beam defects... NICE! I wouldn't feel safe going back and resale value will be nothing. Some pretty nasty looking cracking!

Claims that 100 apartments across all floors require rectification that "should" resolve the issue.

Some residents have now been extended till end of Jan and possibly beyond. Hearing some residents have been abusing the $100 meal allowance that ICON gave them, so the ability to room charge at all hotels they are housed in has been stopped immediately, and instead they have to pay for meals and send ICON invoices for reimbursement.

Apparently some residents were claiming more people than were actually in their units (as living there) and then using the extra $100 each per day (per person) to order rather expensive bottles of champagne, etc etc

So if it was a 4 bedroom apartment yet only 2 people lived there, they have been claiming 4 lived there instead.. or 8 (multiple couples).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nlivable-repairs-needed-floor-Opal-tower.html

Structural beam defects... NICE! I wouldn't feel safe going back and resale value will be nothing. Some pretty nasty looking cracking!

Claims that 100 apartments across all floors require rectification that "should" resolve the issue.

Some residents have now been extended till end of Jan and possibly beyond. Hearing some residents have been abusing the $100 meal allowance that ICON gave them, so the ability to room charge at all hotels they are housed in has been stopped immediately, and instead they have to pay for meals and send ICON invoices for reimbursement.

Apparently some residents were claiming more people than were actually in their units (as living there) and then using the extra $100 each per day (per person) to order rather expensive bottles of champagne, etc etc

So if it was a 4 bedroom apartment yet only 2 people lived there, they have been claiming 4 lived there instead.. or 8 (multiple couples).
Who is to say that they weren't drinking expensive booze at home though.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

They are that tight? They literally ruined the livelihood of people and they're crying foul? LOL. Deal with the consequences. As far as Opal goes... knock down and rebuild and pay accommodation and dry-cleaning costs as well as rent to landlords. Make an example out of someone!