Opal Tower Crumbling

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...g/news-story/f20c44e178f689b9a8d2a6c266045c78

The stunning sky gardens running through the middle of Sydney’s crumbling Opal Tower — a huge selling point for the 36-storey building — could now be its undoing as engineers begin to investigate the section’s structural integrity.

Residents were forced out of their apartments for the second time in four days giving an independent panel of engineers, appointed by the NSW government, the opportunity to fully investigate the problem.

Professor Mark Hoffman and John Carter, the two engineers tasked with figuring out why the building began to fail, will investigate the precast concrete construction method used for part of the Opal Tower.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, Professor Hoffman described the cracking concretenext to the sky gardens on Christmas Eve as “a pretty rare occurrence”.

“There’s clearly some very notable damage there but the issue we’re all grappling with is the cause of it, we have to inspect a lot of other parts of the building as well,” the Dean of Engineering at the University of NSW told the publication.

“The first place you’d look at is the design of the structure because it’s unique, it’s a little bit different.”

Despite engineers narrowing in on the precast concrete, Professor Hoffman said the building method was extremely common worldwide.

“If our investigation uncovers an issue relating to precast concrete, that information will be shared with our report to government,” the two engineers said in a joint statement.

Sources told the publication the 16 concrete panels sitting across from the picturesque sky gardens would form a major part of the inquiry.

In its design brief for the Opal Tower, architect firm Bates Smart described the building as “representing the next generation of environmentally-sound apartment living”.

“The latest... tower creates a new ‘vertical community’, containing 369 apartments and a series of dramatic vertical communal sky gardens providing environmental benefits,” the firm said in its description of the tower.

RESIDENTS REFUSING TO LEAVE OPAL TOWER

Some residents have refused to leave Sydney’s cracked Opal Tower despite being asked by the building’s developer to move out, prompting the NSW government to request an urgent update on the investigation.

Residents were first evacuated from the building on Christmas Eve after some people heard cracking noises and emergency services were called.

Most had moved back in to the Sydney Olympic Park building when on Thursday they were told by the developers the entire tower would need to be emptied so their investigations could continue for at least 10 days.

However, on Friday evening, a few residents hadn’t left.

“While most have moved out, a handful are yet to move,” a spokesman for developer Ecove told AAP.

Ecove said residents were also being offered financial support for living expenses while engineers survey the tower.

“We’re pushing as hard as everyone else for information on what’s happened, and for speedy rectification,” the company’s director Bassam Aflak said in a statement on Friday.

Engineering firm WSP, one of the investigators being employed by Icon, said the building was structurally sound but residents needed to leave to allow engineers to assess and remediate the site in the quickest time possible.

The damaged section of the building on Level 10 has been reinforced as a precautionary measure, WSP said in a statement to residents on Thursday.

Julian Doyle, the NSW director of building company Icon, said the apartment tower was not at risk of collapsing, but the fastest way for the issue to be dealt with was to remove all residents.

“I think ultimately the building will be as it was designed to be,” he said.

An angry resident confronted Mr Doyle during his Thursday press conference at the base of the tower, demanding better temporary accommodation and a clearer timeline of when they would be allowed back home.

Mr Doyle could not guarantee residents would be able to move back in after 10 days.

Opposition leader Michael Daley, who visited the building on Friday, criticised Premier Gladys Berejiklian for failing to inspect the site.

“I am here again today to ask the premier to show some leadership and look after these people,” Mr Daley told reporters.

He said the NSW building certification system needed to be improved. He said developers should not be able to pick their own certifiers, and the system needed to be generally more rigorous.

This investigation will run concurrently with the developer’s own investigation.

Wahesh

Reaction score
For years I have said this is going to happen. These new apartments are nothing but plasta boxes stuck together. It's not wonder why this new tower has already started to crumble. Cheap, shonky materials are used and it's likely that the structure has concrete cancer.

The finger should be pointed at the construction company who should be charged and fined HARD for this. An example must be made in order to pull the other companies in line. They must also reimburse IN FULL (plus pay equivalent inflation) to these residents should the building be condemned, as well as pay for full accommodation and equivalent accommodation expenses (ie, things they have to pay for considering they cannot do them at home, such as dry-cleaning instead of regular washing machine usage).

The finger should also be pointed at the State Government for turning our beautiful city into a concrete jungle that is starting to resemble New York. STOP BUILDING THESE SHIT HOUSE STRUCTURES FFS.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can I guess the race of the builder?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Really? I thought they would be Leb or Jewish
I wouldn't have a clue bro. I know that the Lebs and Jews usually make good structures - the Asians on the other hand cut costs from every angle.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a clue bro. I know that the Lebs and Jews usually make good structures - the Asians on the other hand cut costs from every angle.
Asians just buy now, they don't build.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Asians just buy now, they don't build.
The problem here is that they are going up like there's no tomorrow - they are mirroring what the Chinese do.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The certifier (company) should lose their licence.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The problem here is that they are going up like there's no tomorrow - they are mirroring what the Chinese do.

Plus the fucking stupid and greedy banks are lending to builders and not to buyers.

What did they expect to happen? Evil demon motherfuckers.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Really? Greeks invented bum sex lol
How many times have you had to tell Greek guys that a public restroom isn’t for making out?
For me only twice, same guys, at two different venues as gay as Paul Mac.

I’ve met Paul Mac and that’s the highest capacity a homosexual caps at!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
How many times have you had to tell Greek guys that a public restroom isn’t for making out?
For me only twice, same guys, at two different venues as gay as Paul Mac.

I’ve met Paul Mac and that’s the highest capacity a homosexual caps at!
Fkn lol gayest thing I have seen is a prospect blowing a member on the dance floor of a well known niteclub lol

Needless to say we never saw either one of them in there again.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
For years I have said this is going to happen. These new apartments are nothing but plasta boxes stuck together. It's not wonder why this new tower has already started to crumble. Cheap, shonky materials are used and it's likely that the structure has concrete cancer.

The finger should be pointed at the construction company who should be charged and fined HARD for this. An example must be made in order to pull the other companies in line. They must also reimburse IN FULL (plus pay equivalent inflation) to these residents should the building be condemned, as well as pay for full accommodation and equivalent accommodation expenses (ie, things they have to pay for considering they cannot do them at home, such as dry-cleaning instead of regular washing machine usage).

The finger should also be pointed at the State Government for turning our beautiful city into a concrete jungle that is starting to resemble New York. STOP BUILDING THESE SHIT HOUSE STRUCTURES FFS.
Problem there is they just liquidate the company, close down ABC Inc today and open up DEF Inc tomorrow. There have been many cases of developers doing this to avoid any follow-up maintenance requirements.

Will be interesting to see all the Auburn Councillors resigning to 'spend more time with their families'...

Really feel for people in this situation, lives are put on hold, all the inconvenience and for some an asset that is basically now worthless but they still have 20 years of payments to make.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Problem there is they just liquidate the company, close down ABC Inc today and open up DEF Inc tomorrow. There have been many cases of developers doing this to avoid any follow-up maintenance requirements.

Will be interesting to see all the Auburn Councillors resigning to 'spend more time with their families'...

Really feel for people in this situation, lives are put on hold, all the inconvenience and for some an asset that is basically now worthless but they still have 20 years of payments to make.
Builders aren't builders today, they are businessmen who know how to work the system.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lebs build dog shit. Asians are the developers e.g ghosts who can’t be sued because then company’s already been dissolved as they make a new company for every project

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think this has been blown out of proportion, a bit. I mean, ffs “tower crumbling”??
It’s some cracked preform. Nothing structural.
Don’t get me wrong, if I owned one of those apartments I’d be pissed, but it’s not like the tower is going to fucken fall over.
Put it this way, when the engineer turned up he parked his BMW 7 series in the underground parking.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Lebs build dog shit. Asians are the developers e.g ghosts who can’t be sued because then company’s already been dissolved as they make a new company for every project
Lebs built my house. They even come around every now and then if we have a minor problem with it. Best builders ever. And they even undercharged us what the big builders wanted.