Opinion Only Positive

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defence was very good for both trials.

Stacked left side but like last year they run out of room to do anything good, they have no space when they get the ball on the left.

We also bombed a few opportunities, could have won that if we got them right.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Trials are trials they don't need to be won but improvement needs to be made, we will finish the preseason challenge with the least points conceded in 2 games.... defence was our biggest issue last year so as far as trials go then it's big improvement so far.
The attack will take time too many new players in important positions.
Big improvement so far on last year.
I think we are a good chance in round 1
Last night would have been the first time since I think Round 1 2022 that we'd have finished either a trial or an NRL game having conceded only 1 try, if Hayward doesn't throw that shocking pass. We struggled to score points last season, but when we did it often didn't matter because of how many we were conceding.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Only concerning thing in defence is we’re still not winning the ruck, they just bulldozed our middles all night. Positive is we held tight after errors on our line, something I haven’t seen for a while.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get it. People sooking about our attack. Is that what needed work in the off season was it? Our defence was top notch last season? Say what you want about who we played. But we only conceded four tries in 2 games. That’s an improvement and I saw enough in the two games to show we’ll be more competitive this season.

Start of the season is always focused on defence. And the attack will flow off the back of that. We’ll be better than last season. You could see the commitment and attitude in defence tonight. And it was just a trial. Ciraldo wouldn’t have given a shit about our attack. He’d want to see the defence side of things.
The Storm were missing there 3 most potent attacking players. They were also missing 2 key front rowers.

The Sharks were also Hynes where absolutely everything runs off him. He is one of the most potent ball players in the NRL.

This is not a good test of where our defense is IMO

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The Storm were missing there 3 most potent attacking players. They were also missing 2 key front rowers.

The Sharks were also Hynes where absolutely everything runs off him. He is one of the most potent ball players in the NRL.

This is not a good test of where our defense is IMO
Storm literally only had 2-3 first graders bro.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our attack is still a mile off but the pleasing thing from the first two trials is that our defence is miles better. Even when we're missing tackles, the scramble and cover is good. We're defending our line a lot better except for Wilton's try.. Hopefully the improved defence continues once the season starts.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only concerning thing in defence is we’re still not winning the ruck, they just bulldozed our middles all night. Positive is we held tight after errors on our line, something I haven’t seen for a while.
A59B994E-6B31-4479-9129-D504EA673201.pngC8047924-FC40-4B8A-AF3D-F08168FDDC07.png

Reactions: J_B

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im tipping the Bulldogs to win 10 to 11 matches this season. I give them little hope of making the 8 and if injuries set in, a bottom 3 finish is inevitable. I just think their spine is weak and im still of the opinion that Burton is not a no 6. Imagine him and Crichton as your centre pairing with a decent five eighth ? Scary.

Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no offense to sexton but if he was what we all wanted he would’ve carved up with all the other players in the game were tired. He only had kind of one break that I thought he would score a try. But other than that didn’t really say much of him, posing a threat, which was concerning considering the game was at a point where someone fresh could of done some damages
I don’t think it’s fair to judge Sexy on that. You could see he was anxious to try and do whatever he could to win the number 7 jersey in very limited minutes. I still think he’s a slightly better choice over Hutch, because he’s more agile and straightens the attack. I put more faith in his debut game for us where he transformed the attack.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They threw nothing at us. If you actually watched the Sharks you'd realise they didn't even play their brand of footy and just played through the motions.
That’s a good thing we weren’t ready by a long way for their brand…we needed to grow some confidence in D and test who is buying in for example the try where they rushed up was system error. We did ok D backs were worse than clunky in attack.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night would have been the first time since I think Round 1 2022 that we'd have finished either a trial or an NRL game having conceded only 1 try, if Hayward doesn't throw that shocking pass. We struggled to score points last season, but when we did it often didn't matter because of how many we were conceding.
Totally agree, first try last night was let in by lack of communication from 2 new players, second try was obviously luck. Last week the paps try was another lucky one all be it a good one.
The effort, scramble and attitude is there in defence so far and that's a good sign.
The attack will slowly fall into place, there's too much strike for it not to

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The positive I can see is that Ciraldo is learning and adapting to this massive job.

I think he will turn it around from last season. Instead of having a mid-season slump, I think he will flick the switch mid-way through the season and click us into gear.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blake Taaffe is just a backup player and that’s all he’ll ever be. Can’t believe people talking him up after a good performance against us last year featuring Ethan Quai Ward
Blake Taffe is better than people give him credi for. yes he has an off night woth contesting the bombs bit he is usually quite reliable at the back and I think his carries from the back are good. crighton needs to be in the centres. not sold on Hutch at halfback and everyone can see that sexton offers more spark in the halves but ciraldo seems like he has made up his mind to start him in rnd 1.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The positive I can see is that Ciraldo is learning and adapting to this massive job.

I think he will turn it around from last season. Instead of having a mid-season slump, I think he will flick the switch mid-way through the season and click us into gear.
Genuine question, what has he done that makes you believe he is learning and adapting?