Oloapu, is he ready?

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd rather him play NSW cup and have the prospect of him debuting with a better squad later in 2023. But I think he will handle the physical side of the game, as long as he makes his tackles I'll be happy.
If he does play now. I rather him come off the bench or share the halves responsibility, rather than him take the position full time with our current squad. Much rather him take the 7 when we’re at our full strength team. This way, it will better his confidence instead of trying to be the saviour to our injuries up front.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You really reckon? I'm not so sure actually. He clearly signed with us because he wasn't going to get a run in Brisbane. On top of that, his reserves performances show that he's defensively very strong and certainly doesn't fall into that overly structured play that Kyle seems to need. Personally I think he's substantially readier for first grade than Katoa at the Dolphins.

All will be revealed soon because one thing's for sure, Josh is not the sustainable answer to the halves problem.
A team with half its stars out, zero morale, halves partner in Burton who has no idea, his hooker is in the worst form of his career. I mean if you play him and he has a terrible game we will just have wear it.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So next years halves will be made up of Burton, Oloapu, Hayward, BBO, Rajab. Do we need another? Assuming Flanagan moved on and Reynolds retires.
Why not?
Get Trindall?

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dolphin Katoa was ready and they're pretty similar imo. I think it comes down to the coaching staff/team more than anything. We have a good run of games coming up so it's now or never really.
Katoa is about 12 months older, may not sound like much but can mean a heap in maturity at that age.

I think he can handle the physicality of the game it's more playing at that level for 80 minutes. That's why bringing him in off the bench makes sense.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Easing him in would be better than just chucking him in the deep end especially with our injury crisis. We literally have no forwards to protect him and while he might be big enough you’d want experienced players like Kikau around him when he’s starting to play there full time.

I don’t think he’s completely ready either but I prefer to have faith in the coaching team at this point

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I dont think he's a live wire what you seen on the weekend is how he plays.
He's like Latrell he sits back and picks his moments and he can make something out of nothing.
I think he is better on the left but that wont happen. Karl needs to float both sides of the field im sick of this pigeon holed to one side shit!

Ideally he needs to build his game in Cup but i dont think CC has a choice with the crap halves we have and build for next year.
A point that hangs in me, is if we don't blood him early, then next season we're going to have a 'fresh start, give him time' "new halves, etc etc" excuses. I'd rather this season he starts developing 1st grade (and obviously still develop during next season while already having some 1st grade experience from this season, a taste of the pressure of NRL).
Either way, he can play this season and everyone will have time for him, just like how most people have time for Burton to continue his development.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, no for me, at least until we have most of our troops back.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he's out long term half going forward then I have no issue with him debuting this week and I'm not expecting much obviously but hope he absolutely kills it.

We've got nothing to lose imo

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its like CC is reading the forum, news states he will come off the bench vs Dragons

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My gut feel is that they will wait until next weekend with magic round where he'll debut in front of his family.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Whether he is or he isn’t it doesn’t matter because he’ll only get better playing top grade, we’ve had a starting halfback the past 2 years that’s not NRL ready so what’s the difference.. give the kid a jersey!
To be the best you have to play against the best

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2023 has always had big question marks around it. The injury crisis has only made it worse. With the cattle we have for 24 (plus whoever else we sign), we're poised for a big season next year. If KO is going to take some time to adjust to first grade, let it happen this year so he's blooded, experienced and ready to go on day 1 of next season.
It's clear our spine can't take us to the finals in its present configuration, anyway. If KO comes in, chances his arm and makes mistakes through inexperience, it will be practically no different to Kyle "If I Do Nothing I Can't Fuck Up" Flanagan. If he comes in and does makes an impact, maybe we salvage 2023. It's worth rolling the dice.
I believe CC has been sticking with some sub-par players so that our NSW Cup team have more time to develop combinations (to replicate some of Gus' success at Penriff), for the greater good of the club. If 2024's halves pairing is going to be KO and Burton, there's no reason to keep KO out of first grade. Let them start building that relationship now.
I really like the point you make mate... KO/Skelton/Papalii and so on.
Brilliant post