Oloapu, is he ready?

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously this is the name everyones talking about at the minute, ive seen people say hes ready and people say hes not. The media all say hes a star and is ready and its a matter of time, if CC believes he is ready, I trust him. I havent watched toms of him in our NSW cup but the stats seem to suggest hes doing a pretty good job, this lads just turned 18. People who may have seen more NSW cup than me, what should we expect? He clearly runs the ball alot and surely will be more of a threat ball in hand than Flanno, that will surely take pressure off burto aswell as currently no team fears Flannos running game at all. Is he defensively sound? Any input on the kid would be great, seen highlights and for his age especially he looks a proper athlete.

Reactions: ATT

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think he will fg until round 16 when potential most of the forward pack is back.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think he will fg until round 16 when potential most of the forward pack is back.
be interesting to see mate, from what im reading/hearing, may be earlier who knows, you seen alot of him?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'd rather him play NSW cup and have the prospect of him debuting with a better squad later in 2023. But I think he will handle the physical side of the game, as long as he makes his tackles I'll be happy.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dolphin Katoa was ready and they're pretty similar imo. I think it comes down to the coaching staff/team more than anything. We have a good run of games coming up so it's now or never really.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He will handle the step up physically no doubt. His decision making needs a bit of work but he's 18 and will come with time. He only needs to play a simple role to start run the ball and put in an occasional kick. I say put him in.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defensively he's solid. Excellent 1 on 1 defence.

Attack he's a livewire. Always looks like something is going to happen when he has the ball.

His last game in NSW Cup he was way off his best, and I suspect it was because he got told at late he wasn't playing first grade. He was really unenthused.

Is he ready? Well theres only one way to find out I guess, and that's to play him.

Hounddub

Waterboy
Reaction score
No way, it’s selfish to play him tbh
You really reckon? I'm not so sure actually. He clearly signed with us because he wasn't going to get a run in Brisbane. On top of that, his reserves performances show that he's defensively very strong and certainly doesn't fall into that overly structured play that Kyle seems to need. Personally I think he's substantially readier for first grade than Katoa at the Dolphins.

All will be revealed soon because one thing's for sure, Josh is not the sustainable answer to the halves problem.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Defensively he's solid. Excellent 1 on 1 defence.

Attack he's a livewire. Always looks like something is going to happen when he has the ball.

His last game in NSW Cup he was way off his best, and I suspect it was because he got told at late he wasn't playing first grade. He was really unenthused.

Is he ready? Well theres only one way to find out I guess, and that's to play him.
I dont think he's a live wire what you seen on the weekend is how he plays.
He's like Latrell he sits back and picks his moments and he can make something out of nothing.
I think he is better on the left but that wont happen. Karl needs to float both sides of the field im sick of this pigeon holed to one side shit!

Ideally he needs to build his game in Cup but i dont think CC has a choice with the crap halves we have and build for next year.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he is ready to play off the bench. His defence is sound and he looks solid enough so I’m not too worried about him playing first grade. He needs some time and has to put in some work in before his attack will come together. He offers more than Flanno cause he has the talent to break the line or put on an assist.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
lol at all this handwringing about weather he's ready or not, the strength of the side, his defence etc etc etc, if Gus and CC think its time then its time.
And if KO is the type of half we need (and I think he is) he is demanding his shot and his place in the side, and he does not give a fuck who is in or out.
The far greater concern in my opinion is the amount of shit he will get from fans as he is learning to play first grade. He will have bad games , he will make mistakes but the good ones learn and get better, he needs this FG experience now, to prepare him to be a key player for us next year.
All the best KO !! Kill it son.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stand by for the bake on here if he gets a run and saints tear us a new one on Sunday...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything but the highlights reel before we signed him. I think his physicality compared to others in his age group has given him a big advantage. So stepping up to where he's no longer ahead with size and strength is a big test. Some players get the promotion and excel, some don't handle the step up well at all. From my perspective it's a risk to promote too early and could potentially ruin his confidence for a while. But it might also be the making of him.

You never know until you promote a player if they'll sink or swim.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A lot of excitement for doggy fans, a great prospect. Would like to see him eased into this side at the age of just 18.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything but the highlights reel before we signed him. I think his physicality compared to others in his age group has given him a big advantage. So stepping up to where he's no longer ahead with size and strength is a big test. Some players get the promotion and excel, some don't handle the step up well at all. From my perspective it's a risk to promote too early and could potentially ruin his confidence for a while. But it might also be the making of him.

You never know until you promote a player if they'll sink or swim.
Where you know a player is ready for NRL is in their fitness and defence - Defensively, this bloke is smashing men…. Physicality is not a problem. His fitness at NRL pace will be questioned but as you suggested, you only know when you throw them in the deep end.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hard one, cc is building a team so there is no rush, that’s why he’s signed a 5 yr deal, but sometimes some kids just smash it when they hit the top grade, they can look a bit rusty in the lower grades, but as soon as they get their chance. They go. Others need to bide their time, I’ve always liked copper John’s and he’s doing well over at manly. But he took the long road. If burton at 7 seems to get better over the next few weeks, hopefully get a few big men back then I’d be happy to see him have a fun but I trust cc in his plan. Still a lot of rounds to go.