Oloapu, is he ready?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is a star in the making. But stars take time to shine.
The best option would be to give him short stints in FG from the bench, and let him develop and gain confidence in himself.
Chucking him straight in may have a negative effect as he will be heavily targeted.
I just hope he shows up and gets a full time gig.

Reactions: CCC

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a big body for his age and I don't think if targeted in attackers running straight at him will be an issue for him. Maybe his defence laterally or his reads might be questioned particularly by the better sides if he does indeed have flaws and he might due to his inexperience. He would of been better served had we had experienced defensive centres to ease his progress. Kikau would of been so handy right now mentoring him and
and Alomoti on the left edge.
Anyway I'm keen to see him play and have to be patient to see the good and hopefully
not so bad and hope to see him potentially become our next big thing.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
How would anyone in this place know if he's ready. Basically when I see ciraldo play him, that's when he's ready. I'm not going to second guess a professional coach.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
How would anyone in this place know if he's ready. Basically when I see ciraldo play him, that's when he's ready. I'm not going to second guess a professional coach.
Not even CC. KO is Gus' project so he will be making the call.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2023 has always had big question marks around it. The injury crisis has only made it worse. With the cattle we have for 24 (plus whoever else we sign), we're poised for a big season next year. If KO is going to take some time to adjust to first grade, let it happen this year so he's blooded, experienced and ready to go on day 1 of next season.
It's clear our spine can't take us to the finals in its present configuration, anyway. If KO comes in, chances his arm and makes mistakes through inexperience, it will be practically no different to Kyle "If I Do Nothing I Can't Fuck Up" Flanagan. If he comes in and does makes an impact, maybe we salvage 2023. It's worth rolling the dice.
I believe CC has been sticking with some sub-par players so that our NSW Cup team have more time to develop combinations (to replicate some of Gus' success at Penriff), for the greater good of the club. If 2024's halves pairing is going to be KO and Burton, there's no reason to keep KO out of first grade. Let them start building that relationship now.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In an ideal world no he's not ready that's my honest answer but look at the options we have and you almost are happy to gamble with the proviso people understand he will make errors and he'll learn from these errors.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2023 has always had big question marks around it. The injury crisis has only made it worse. With the cattle we have for 24 (plus whoever else we sign), we're poised for a big season next year. If KO is going to take some time to adjust to first grade, let it happen this year so he's blooded, experienced and ready to go on day 1 of next season.
It's clear our spine can't take us to the finals in its present configuration, anyway. If KO comes in, chances his arm and makes mistakes through inexperience, it will be practically no different to Kyle "If I Do Nothing I Can't Fuck Up" Flanagan. If he comes in and does makes an impact, maybe we salvage 2023. It's worth rolling the dice.
I believe CC has been sticking with some sub-par players so that our NSW Cup team have more time to develop combinations (to replicate some of Gus' success at Penriff), for the greater good of the club. If 2024's halves pairing is going to be KO and Burton, there's no reason to keep KO out of first grade. Let them start building that relationship now.
I agree, I think you've summed it up very well.

The other issue is that by blooding KO sooner rather than later, CC & Gus can determine if he will be the answer for us in the halves next year (I am confident he will be) or if he needs more development. This will have an impact on our recruitment - do we need to recruit an experienced half for a year or two or, if KO is the answer, do we spend the money elsewhere (an extra big middle)?

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dolphin Katoa was ready and they're pretty similar imo. I think it comes down to the coaching staff/team more than anything. We have a good run of games coming up so it's now or never really.
Bennet would play KO as he is with Katoa and back him for 6-7 games to show his worth

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Give him a go!

It's all on the club for not taking care of business with regards to priority signing a #7. There was a few around earlier, Adam Reynolds, Townsend etc yet they stuck with Flanno who we all knew has nothing. Last minute we sign this young kid and even Josh was a late signing. We have nothing in the cupboard with halves and Burto has been copping it as he's expected to make up for 2 halves and no other attack. FB can't even make a break to help him out.

Throw him in and give us some hope.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Only one way to find out.

Everything else is just bullshit opinion.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one way to find out.

Everything else is just bullshit opinion.
I just hope if he is given a go, please everyone be patient, don't expect miracles, and if he makes an error it's okay. We will need to give him a few rests too, his body isn't there yet

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I don't believe he is ready....but neither is Flanno...and Josh is past it so perhaps it is KO by default, at least at this stage in our "recovering from dysfunction club"..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I just hope if he is given a go, please everyone be patient, don't expect miracles, and if he makes an error it's okay. We will need to give him a few rests too, his body isn't there yet
Like I mentioned earlier, I hope he makes mistakes and even more, I hope he learns from them.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
No, I don't believe he is ready....but neither is Flanno...and Josh is past it so perhaps it is KO by default, at least at this stage in our "recovering from dysfunction club"..
KO has a heap of potential, Flamingo has exhausted any potential and is just a park footballer.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So next years halves will be made up of Burton, Oloapu, Hayward, BBO, Rajab. Do we need another? Assuming Flanagan moved on and Reynolds retires.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So next years halves will be made up of Burton, Oloapu, Hayward, BBO, Rajab. Do we need another? Assuming Flanagan moved on and Reynolds retires.
Crighton/ Jakey could play in the halves at a pinch. Crighton has played games at 6 in lower grades. It would depend on our squad I would be more inclined to look at another prop in the era of HIA's. Your middles are most suspect to what they call category 1 head knocks.