Oks

Malla

Reaction score
You are confirming what I felt instinctively. My reading of Coach Ciraldo is a man who believes hard work in the training paddock eventually translates into performance on match day, and so he gives the opportunities to players who put in the effort and work on their weaknesses. Someone, probably CC, did a tremendous job turning Okunbor into a footballer.

I believe (perhaps you can confirm) Hayze Perham was picked at full back for 18 weeks straight because he trained very well and tried to carry out the coach's instructions. I never thought Perham was as bad as the Kennel maintained. He started the season as a safe defender with no real attacking flair, but, instead of improving as the year progressed, he went backwards. I suspect a crisis of confidence, and I wonder if he read the Kennel, and became affected by all of the death riding.

If you had a great player but lazy trainer (Fatrell?) in your squad, you would have to pick him, but, if you had to choose between two players of similar ability, only one of whom was a good trainer, your choice would be obvious.
It's Gus' belief first and foremost and CC is coaching it. Gus talks about it non stop and he actually made a point of it on his podcast this week - I felt like he was talking directly to the Dogs team when he said something to the effect of some players don't want to put the work in when you are losing, those players won't be there when you win. Makes sense given what's happened at the Dogs the last month.

I think CC used Oks as an example of what hard work will earn you. We all know this year was a write off, we had no chance of winning more than a handful of games. As hard as it is to admit, these are facts. I know that Oks was not the only one approached about moving from backs into the forwards to fill a need, but he was the only one that put his hand up and did it without hesitation. He trained his ass off and gave it a crack. CC kept rewarding him with a place in the team. I feel this was his way of laying the foundations of what he wants the culture to be at the Dogs and I loved it.

Perham is a good player, he's just a victim of the teams lack of success. At fullback, he's the best communicator of the lot. Can only imagine how draining it is for him after 10 or so rounds when the team just gives up. I don't see Perham as a regular first grader, but he's a good depth playe to have. Averillo has a lot of talent, but work ethic and communication are his weaknesses and it doesn't help this team. He's back at FB now, and gives a few moments of brilliance, but he is a real poor communicator. If you get to the games either this week or next, just watch Avo at fullback in defence. He's mute most of the time and doesn't talk.

We had a good player with a bad attitude to training. TPJ. I am certain that won't happen again.

Last edited:

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm fine with him leaving. But unfortunately it's another player with First Grade athleticism whose career has flagged with the club.
I rather suspect there's nothing you can do about that footy brain... But who knows. Our club is chewing athletes up, and spitting them out

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hull fan here. Just how bad is he? :tearsofjoy:

Think the plan is for us to use him at SR. Does he have any redeeming qualities?
Can be rocks or diamonds. Good pace for the second row. Strong enough to do some damage on runs. Just needs to apply himself to the task. In a good team he'll add something. But I don't think he'll be the one to turn a team around.

At the start of the season when he was first played in the second row, plenty of dogs fans thought he had finally found his position. As the season went on he gradually lost the respect of a lot of our fans. But there's been plenty who hated him based on his questionable past actions. So to some extent the naysayers possibly just helped push him forwards as a scapegoat for our poor season. He's not terrible, not brilliant either. But judge him on his performance with your team rather than the opinions of others who are pretty much ready to throw our whole team under the bus.