Off season podcasts (and audio media snippets) on Bulldogs specific topics

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JAC talking and answering some media question today at the Allstars launch. They asked him about Cheese, of course, and quite a few questions about the Bulldogs at the end.

Last edited:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Love how he isn’t a sell out and kept adds out of all his videos on ya beak

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
JAC talking and answering some media question today at the Allstars launch. They asked him about Cheese, of course, and quite a few questions about the Bulldogs at the end.

How can you not love the bloke…. You listen to the enthusiasm in his voice, it will no doubt rub off on all his team mates, the guy is a winner! The reporters baited him into saying something, and he played it with a straight bat…. Brilliant! He’s not a media whore like Mundine & co

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby League Guru and Kemp talk about Dogs 2022 team and chances

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby League Guru and Kemp talk about Dogs 2022 team and chances

Agree we lack a genuine 7.

If you dropped Adam Reynolds into our 7 jumper directing our 2022 & 2023 squad around I'd almost guarantee top 6 followed by top 4 barring too many injuries.

Why did we not consider him???

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo should play fullback IMO. He can run, pass and score points. Burton, Flanno need to make it work, shame Wakeham's gone he was the only genuine other half. We're stuck with Flanno hopefully the kid has learnt

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo should play fullback IMO. He can run, pass and score points. Burton, Flanno need to make it work, shame Wakeham's gone he was the only genuine other half. We're stuck with Flanno hopefully the kid has learnt
Did I miss something???

You said Wakeham is gone!!!

Where's he gone???

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree we lack a genuine 7.
What’s the definition of “genuine”?

Is a running 7 “genuine”?
An organising 7, is he “genuine”?
A 7 that backs up constantly, pops up anywhere on the field when the team needs him, is he “genuine”?
What about a tactical and goal kicking 7, “genuine”?
A captain 7, mature regardless of age, an all rounder, not super skilled in any area, but inspirational, leads the team by his efforts, never gives up, leads from the front. Is he a “genuine 7”.
All of the above, can’t say as I have seen one of those.

The answer is a “genuine 7” is whatever the team needs to compliment and supplement the other players, for example if they have a running 6 then they probably don‘t need a running 7 etc.

Personally I have no idea what type of 7 will be “genuine” for us for 2022 and even more so in 2023. We have a running 5/8 in Burton, so probably not that. Dufty may well be a supplementary runner and backer upper. Mahoney in 2023 has a good tactical kicking game out of dummy half and steers a team around the field pretty well. I think Jackson is the inspirational leader, not sure that we need a 7 for that.

Looking through our list of likely candidates and we have a good spread of talents in the “genuine 7” areas. Averillo obviously he’s a runner, BBO he’s the pop up anywhere on the field style, Wakeham he’s probably the closest to an organiser and has slightly more experience there. The leaves the big disappointment, Flanagan, if only.

Always a Bulldog

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s the definition of “genuine”?

Is a running 7 “genuine”?
An organising 7, is he “genuine”?
A 7 that backs up constantly, pops up anywhere on the field when the team needs him, is he “genuine”?
What about a tactical and goal kicking 7, “genuine”?
A captain 7, mature regardless of age, an all rounder, not super skilled in any area, but inspirational, leads the team by his efforts, never gives up, leads from the front. Is he a “genuine 7”.
All of the above, can’t say as I have seen one of those.

The answer is a “genuine 7” is whatever the team needs to compliment and supplement the other players, for example if they have a running 6 then they probably don‘t need a running 7 etc.

Personally I have no idea what type of 7 will be “genuine” for us for 2022 and even more so in 2023. We have a running 5/8 in Burton, so probably not that. Dufty may well be a supplementary runner and backer upper. Mahoney in 2023 has a good tactical kicking game out of dummy half and steers a team around the field pretty well. I think Jackson is the inspirational leader, not sure that we need a 7 for that.

Looking through our list of likely candidates and we have a good spread of talents in the “genuine 7” areas. Averillo obviously he’s a runner, BBO he’s the pop up anywhere on the field style, Wakeham he’s probably the closest to an organiser and has slightly more experience there. The leaves the big disappointment, Flanagan, if only.

Always a Bulldog
All good points Twin.

But I've personally "always" classified a genuine 7 by having the following qualities since I started playing the game as a junior and watching for the last 40 odd years.

- Must be a game manager ie: manage the game plan, steer the forwards, be the one who calls majority of plays.
- Must posses a good short & long passing game.
- Must posses a short kicking game, with a long kicking game a much desired bonus.
- Must have the calmness & smarts to execute all of the above in game pressure situations.

These are just the very basic initial skills I would classify a genuine 7 to have, that's my opinion anyway.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think Cogger was a better 7 than Lewis and Wakeham, I certainly think he was a more complete 7 than either of them. Too bad we picked the worst two options to what we currently need. I think he and Burton might have been a decent pairing.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
All good points Twin.

But I've personally "always" classified a genuine 7 by having the following qualities since I started playing the game as a junior and watching for the last 40 odd years.

- Must be a game manager ie: manage the game plan, steer the forwards, be the one who calls majority of plays.
- Must posses a good short & long passing game.
- Must posses a short kicking game, with a long kicking game a much desired bonus.
- Must have the calmness & smarts to execute all of the above in game pressure situations.

These are just the very basic initial skills I would classify a genuine 7 to have, that's my opinion anyway.
That's good list, a bit of a wish list though for one human player. Hookers these day do a lot of the "steering", they also need to have a "short & long passing game". Mahony fills those roles pretty well for us in 2023, plus he has a decent "short kicking game". Obviously Burton has the "long kicking game" covered for 2022.

What's left, a smart, calm, game manager, who of our likelys has that skill set? I for one have not seen it, Averillo hasn't shown it, I don't think it remotely suites his game, he is more of a spur of the moment heads up player. BBO is much the same. Wakeham may be the closest, but people (including the coaching staff) need to understand that he is not game breaker, runner, carve up the defence player. Comparisons between Averillo, BBO and Wakeham need to take into account what we need from our 1/2, not simply who is the better player.

Always a Bulldog

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The First Month: Canterbury Bulldogs
Rugby League Guru Podcast

A deep dive into every clubs first four weeks of the 2022 season, kicking off with the Canterbury Bulldogs. Their start is a little bit more difficult than most sides, considering their new combinations they really need to stand up early. History tells us that if they don't, they're in some trouble. See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/rugby-league-guru-podcast/id1499255585?i=1000547493410