Off season podcasts (and audio media snippets) on Bulldogs specific topics

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, love the passion. These guys make good sense

Good sense? i didnt notice any. These guys actually think we have a top 8 side and they rate flanagan lmao were coming off a wooden spoon and have barely won a game in the last 3 years its not as simple as throwing 8 new players in there this shit takes time.

They whinge about tpj and hetherington being on the edges but its clear that we dont have anyone else that can play there until rfm returns, If waddell starts there i bet you these guys would cry about it. Podcast should be called the niff nuffs

chafstaa

Waterboy
Reaction score
Good sense? i didnt notice any. These guys actually think we have a top 8 side and they rate flanagan lmao were coming off a wooden spoon and have barely won a game in the last 3 years its not as simple as throwing 8 new players in there this shit takes time.

They whinge about tpj and hetherington being on the edges but its clear that we dont have anyone else that can play there until rfm returns, If waddell starts there i bet you these guys would cry about it. Podcast should be called the niff nuffs
We do have a top 8 roster regardless of us getting the wooden spoon last year. In 2008 we got the spoon, than we came equal first the following year after doing some recruits. Not saying we will come first but top 8 is not something not achievable.

Flanagan will compliment Burton better than Averillo. Not meaning Flanagan is a better player but for that certain role with the style of footy we are playing, Flanagan will be a better option. At least deserves a chance.

TPJ in the backrow is a huge liability in defence, teams will target him all day. He ‘s better of suited in the middle bashing it up. Another option is defending him in the middle. I prefer Jackson to play there as he would be better defensively and offers nothing for us in the middle.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We do have a top 8 roster regardless of us getting the wooden spoon last year. In 2008 we got the spoon, than we came equal first the following year after doing some recruits. Not saying we will come first but top 8 is not something not achievable.

Flanagan will compliment Burton better than Averillo. Not meaning Flanagan is a better player but for that certain role with the style of footy we are playing, Flanagan will be a better option. At least deserves a chance.

TPJ in the backrow is a huge liability in defence, teams will target him all day. He ‘s better of suited in the middle bashing it up. Another option is defending him in the middle. I prefer Jackson to play there as he would be better defensively and offers nothing for us in the middle.

We purchased experienced spine players in 09 thats the major diff, Ennis and kimmorley were huge for us, Our current roster is not a top 8 roster.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We purchased experienced spine players in 09 thats the major diff, Ennis and kimmorley were huge for us, Our current roster is not a top 8 roster.
That's right, hard to compare with 09.

I can count 5 origin/international standard forwards and 2 origin standard backs in the 2023 Bulldogs squad. Plus King and Kiraz who are not far off. So at full strength there are only 4 positions where we lack class and/or experience in the run on side. Half back, both centres and fullback.

Have a look at the Canberra squad that came eighth. 4 star forwards and 3 backs. They had Frawley in the halves for eight games...

We had the worst draw in the comp and the coach got sacked midway. The off-season half was switched to fullback. The new half was still rattled by being dropped.
The NRL cup side played in the GF after losing key players through injury.

I really don't think we'll be far off the eight. In fact we can easily catch all the other clubs except one.

For the next few seasons at least Penrith will be the benchmark.

It's how to get into the top four and how to beat Penrith that are the big questions.

Maybe ask our new coach?

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's right, hard to compare with 09.

I can count 5 origin/international standard forwards and 2 origin standard backs in the 2023 Bulldogs squad. Plus King and Kiraz who are not far off. So at full strength there are only 4 positions where we lack class and/or experience in the run on side. Half back, both centres and fullback.

Have a look at the Canberra squad that came eighth. 4 star forwards and 3 backs. They had Frawley in the halves for eight games...

We had the worst draw in the comp and the coach got sacked midway. The off-season half was switched to fullback. The new half was still rattled by being dropped.
The NRL cup side played in the GF after losing key players through injury.

I really don't think we'll be far off the eight. In fact we can easily catch all the other clubs except one.

For the next few seasons at least Penrith will be the benchmark.

It's how to get into the top four and how to beat Penrith that are the big questions.

Maybe ask our new coach?
Much friendly draw next year, this year's team would have pushed for the 8 if we had next year's draw

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking back at 2012, 14

Des did extremely well to make the side virtually a champion side with not exactly the best spine. He was just outcoached in the 2012 GF

In 2014, we were lucky just to make it. It really was the start of Desball and the backended contracts started the rot.

Had we won just one GF, it would’ve been worth it. Sadly we didn’t!

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking back at 2012, 14

Des did extremely well to make the side virtually a champion side with not exactly the best spine. He was just outcoached in the 2012 GF

In 2014, we were lucky just to make it. It really was the start of Desball and the backended contracts started the rot.

Had we won just one GF, it would’ve been worth it. Sadly we didn’t!
I agree with you.

I believe Des was good at getting the boys fit, but tactically I realised that he was a one trick pony and restricted the boys from playing off the cuff eyes up footy.
He was all about percentage plays believing that that was enough.

This was not more evident than our most important game of his time in charge, the 2012 GF. He simply had no plan B, where on the other hand Bellamy had his boys prepared with numerous trick plays not seen before.
Hasler persisted with the same year long play out the back for Barba, which Bellamy counted against with his almost always off side defence out wide, chocking Barba out the game.
Any coach with balls to step outside his norm, would have asked his halves to kick behind the rushing opposition centres for Barba to utilise his speed to follow through on.
Hasler didn't trust his halves, nor anyone else trying something different.

Sorry I rambled on, but his ignorance & pig headedness probably cost us a GF.
The only reason he got away with it at Manly is because his brilliant players dared to play outside of his restraints IMO.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yes I remember now. For the next few years Des couldn’t evolve and we were so predictable to other teams and not only did we slip down the ladder, we were so boring to watch. He only had one other innovation- more of a tactic really- short dropouts as our forwards were too tired to run.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Different result if ennis was fit in 2014

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I agree with you.

I believe Des was good at getting the boys fit, but tactically I realised that he was a one trick pony and restricted the boys from playing off the cuff eyes up footy.
He was all about percentage plays believing that that was enough.

This was not more evident than our most important game of his time in charge, the 2012 GF. He simply had no plan B, where on the other hand Bellamy had his boys prepared with numerous trick plays not seen before.
Hasler persisted with the same year long play out the back for Barba, which Bellamy counted against with his almost always off side defence out wide, chocking Barba out the game.
Any coach with balls to step outside his norm, would have asked his halves to kick behind the rushing opposition centres for Barba to utilise his speed to follow through on.
Hasler didn't trust his halves, nor anyone else trying something different.

Sorry I rambled on, but his ignorance & pig headedness probably cost us a GF.
The only reason he got away with it at Manly is because his brilliant players dared to play outside of his restraints IMO.
Agree. As much as 2012 hurt, listening to Slater talk about how they planned to target the space between Reynolds and Inu because they couldn't defend well together... They way Bellamy and co picked us apart we were destined to lose sadly.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree. As much as 2012 hurt, listening to Slater talk about how they planned to target the space between Reynolds and Inu because they couldn't defend well together... They way Bellamy and co picked us apart we were destined to lose sadly.
Was on a Kimberley cruise with virtually no radio coverage, let alone TV. Only got bad intermittent updates but gathered things weren't going well.

Have never been able to bring myself to watch the game even to this day :(

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This
But everyone forgets the bigger driver of all. The storm getting done for salary cap was the reason why they werent going to lose that GF. A lesson we should have known all too well. We had nothing in respone.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to 2012 and went away thinking how out coached Des was. Sign of things to come. Would never watch a replay of that game or any other GF loss - ever!