News NRL rivals circle Adam Elliott after Bulldogs’ ‘low-ball’ contract offer

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm personally not a fan of Elliott and players performing during contract year always makes me hesitant. However he has been our best forward (not really a great achievement) and arguably our second best player this season.

I'd prefer not to keep him, but I was also in favour of cutting Jackson loose or at the very least holding back on re-signing him and offering him far less coin. If i had to keep one of the two then it's an absolute no brainer and that would be Elliott. Pretty much better than Jackson at everything, costs a couple 100k less and he's approaching his prime.

Unfortunately the people calling the shots for us look to be incapable of determining a players worth to the club and lack the ability to manage the high turnover of players required to correct our roster.
Is Jackson eligible for the Veteran and Developed Player allowance?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is Jackson eligible for the Veteran and Developed Player allowance?
Jackson has been at the club for 8 years, so yes. 200k allowance (if we want to use all of it on Jackson).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There is a price point. I ask you this lets take a good side, would he be one of their best players? No. At best and I mean at best he's a bench player in a good side. That doesn't tell e we should pay 600k plus for him. Sure he tries, but I'm so over paying through the roof for "triers" we need quality.
My view is he would go much better in "a good side" (your terminology) with us currently he's an easy target, doesn't have back up, very rarely has anyone to offload to, lacks quality support runners, doesn't get great 1/2 service , a good dummy only works if there is someone to dummy pass to.

Go Dogs

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He has improved this year, but it's not enough evidence to justify a large salary. He's played more rubbish games that good ones during his time at the dogs.

Fundamentally, he just doesn't run good lines. He often doesn't look to know where to run with the ball in had. No pre-determination.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Much better than Finucane, who is one dimensional hence fits the Melbourne system, but without that would be just as useless with anyone else as he was with us.
Not as good as Murray, who just signed a $2m+ deal with the Wabbits for 4 years.
Not as good as Radley who is in the middle of a 5 year deal with the Chooks, which he signed when he was 19 and a relative unknown with potential. They took a gamble on a 5 year contract hence got him cheap, good young player recruiting, sometimes pays off sometimes doesn't. Hopefully he comes back OK from a horrible ACL injury that has him out for the season.

Go Dogs
Finuncane doesn't have the skill of Elliott but he isn't a robot. And you have to realise Bellamy asks his players to play very defined roles. Either way, Finucane is much more effective and consistent and has been doing it his whole career, not one season.

I also feel bad for Radley. Even though he plays for the scum, he's one of my favourite players to watch. He was having a breakout season.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson has been at the club for 8 years, so yes. 200k allowance (if we want to use all of it on Jackson).

Is it $200k per eligible player or total per team?

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by "does what Elliott does"? They're completely different players play style wise. Finucane's more of a prop if anything which is why the other user said he's "one dimensional". Elliott has all the skills to be a modern day lock which means you have to be able to ball play and have good lateral movement. Elliott is also more explosive than Finucane (speed, tackle breaks, offloads, etc). Finucane is solid and will get you more average metres per game running straight (but we're talking about locks not props). Also this year there's no difference between Elliott and Finucane's errors and giving away penalties.
Runs the ball hard, that's basically Elliott's role for us, Dale does play more central but he's played lock before and he's also played some second row coming through. He's Elliott without the dumb as you know what brain farts. Plus he makes more metres and is just a flat out better player.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My view is he would go much better in "a good side" (your terminology) with us currently he's an easy target, doesn't have back up, very rarely has anyone to offload to, lacks quality support runners, doesn't get great 1/2 service , a good dummy only works if there is someone to dummy pass to.

Go Dogs
Yes but does that explain the dumb as a plank things Elliott does? Or his handling skills or should I say lack of? He's not worth more than 275k.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
both elliot and jackson need to go, worst thing we done was resign jackson, hes just had it.

if we let go of jackson, we could have offered Fifita a ten year deal as well as sign another top second rower, with thompson at lock.

we have toooooo many "workhorse" and no impact players who can change a game with their damaging runs.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
That higher work rate counts for fuck all if your missed tackles and ineffective tackles are constantly high. 2nd highest and 1st highest amongst our forwards respectively, given he spends a large amount of time on the field and he defends in the middle no fucking wonder we struggle for field position and defence. I haven't even taken into account the stupid penalties or six again restarts he gives away.

Hes killing us defensively.
Lol.....comparing his numbers to bench forwards who play limited minutes is ridiculous and you know it. I don't have the time to go searching for his error or penalty counts for the year, but his discipline has been the biggest improvement in his game this year and he is certainly not our biggest problem in terms of penalties conceded or errors per game.... he is not in the NRL top 50 in either of those stat areas.

Come on, Bro....we both know you're trolling ;)

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol.....comparing his numbers to bench forwards who play limited minutes is ridiculous and you know it. I don't have the time to go searching for his error or penalty counts for the year, but his discipline has been the biggest improvement in his game this year and he is certainly not our biggest problem in terms of penalties conceded or errors per game.... he is not in the NRL top 50 in either of those stat areas.

Come on, Bro....we both know you're trolling ;)
I put up the stats of all our forwards. Elliot fails all of them

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is it $200k per eligible player or total per team?
$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

I think it's per team. I'm not sure if it's specific enough to say 100%.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our missed tackles stats

Britt 23
Elliot 20
Napa 18
Lewis 15

Avge Metres per Run

Renouf 9
RFM 9
Britt 8
Ogden 8
Tolman 7
Elliot 7 - still dominated by defence
Can Lynne analyse those stats to see that maybe Renouf should play more?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game
I think it's per team. I'm not sure if it's specific enough to say 100%.
Yep, the term "players" is confusing. For us who else do we have that we would want to use it on that is also eligible? Tolman, his contract is so back ended it's not likely. Maybe Hopoate, he started in 2010 in NRL with the Seagulls, so he would probably have been eligible last year. Can't think of anyone else.

Go Dogs