NRL Hand Down Verdict On Souths-Inglis Cap Situation

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Inglis is NOT being medically retired. If Foran chose to retire early, he could do so. The choice is always in the player's hands.
No shit my point is the media stance was polar opposites. There were no media articles saying any of the stuff they said about Foran when the initial rumblings came out the Inglis might be medically retired.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No shit my point is the media stance was polar opposites. There were no media articles saying any of the stuff they said about Foran when the initial rumblings came out the Inglis might be medically retired.
Was there even talk of medically retiring Inlis? If there were rumblings, I wasn't aware of them...

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The problem isn’t that he’s sacrificing the money, because he probably isn’t. It’s now a possible loophole:

1. Player retires, “sacrificing” their pay to free up the cap.
2. Player gets a job with the club, paying a large amount over several years.

The club can offer a high paying job to entice the player to retire and sacrifice his pay from the cap, but the player is still getting paid by the club.

It’s like us telling Foran if he retires and gives up his cap pay, we’ll give him a $500k a year job to make up for the money that would have been in the cap.
Well it’s on the NRL then to close the loophole. But they won’t, only change the rules on the run to suit themselves, were happy to bring in the no fault stand down policy to satisfy the outrage brigade but we don’t want to upset Souths and call them on this fraud, or in anyway question GI for his outstanding contributions on and off the field (cough/splutter), remember he’s indigenous and has mental health issues so rules don’t apply

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it’s on the NRL then to close the loophole. But they won’t, only change the rules on the run to suit themselves, were happy to bring in the no fault stand down policy to satisfy the outrage brigade but we don’t want to upset Souths and call them on this fraud, or in anyway question GI for his outstanding contributions on and off the field (cough/splutter), remember he’s indigenous and has mental health issues so rules don’t apply
I guarantee you that if the Dogs tried it with Foran, the rules would be changed on the spot.

Also, the Tigers CEO got de-registered earlier this year and fined for offering Farah a post-retirement job. I fail to see how the Souths situation is different, or in fact, worse than the Tigers situation.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Inglis is NOT being medically retired. If Foran chose to retire early, he could do so. The choice is always in the player's hands.
Not the point though, anyone can hang up their boots anytime they like, what is relevant is what they subsequently do for a job, how they get paid and who pays them. That's when the salary cap rules become relevant. The strict interpretation is that anything/everything that Souths pay Inglis should be included in their salary cap for the length of his existing contract term. This also includes anything that Souths "arrange" for him, even if they don't pay it themselves directly. That's the advantage of being "medically retired" wherein payments are not included in the salary cap. Based on what we know Inglis would never have qualified to be medically retired anyway, hence similar to Foran in the regard (as was Stewart etc).

Go Dogs

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Was there even talk of medically retiring Inlis? If there were rumblings, I wasn't aware of them...
So you believe if he didn’t have chronic shoulder and knee issues, and WB was happy for him to continue using pain killing injections as required, he’d still be retiring, seriously?

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
There definately was. And there were no scurrilous insinuations surrounding the topic unlike us with Foran.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But in all seriousness, I'm very shocked the nrl are bending the rules for souffs... Very shocked.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I don't think the NRL has a problem with their darling squads using certain means or loopholes to get an advantage.

Just look at the situation the Tigers found themselves in with Farah having guaranteed post footy $$$

Or the Roosters getting clearance for a player from outside the top 30 to play NRL when Manly got denied last year despite only the latter having an actual injury crisis

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We dont have a salary cap problem anymore .. actually what people at our club say is that we are in a better position than most clubs..

We are still around 500K under this year.. the club wanted to keep some space available incase a player became available during the season & Pay wanted to give the current guys a chance..

The issue we have had though is attracting very good players and 2 player managers are refusing to deal with us at moment..

The only player on our books not in our team is Mbye.. and thats less than 200K in a 9.5mill + cap..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
music to my ears!!! cant happen any quicker eh??
if only the teams in ESL could see what an asset he is to a team .. they should really get in before someone else snaps him up

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
lol foran .... different rules for other clubs
Except Foran has not attempted to retire.

I don't understand the fuss myself. He retired so it frees up cap space, which seems fair. And he got a high paid after footy job just like a number of ex players...so what?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One club who won't be happy about this hitting the papers...

How else do you think they keep within their salary cap? Lets just say I bet the books for their leagues clubs and businesses owned by chairman is packed full of the partners of said club, on very large salaries.

Rothfield on Inglis “he’s a great ambassador”. Clearly the drink has pickled this blokes brain
Inglis is a good ambassador.... for alcohol consumption and DUI

As I said in the other thread, why did Pascoe get suspended as CEO of the Tigers and they got a huge cap penalty for giving Farah an ambassadorial role when Souths doing this for Inglis is supposedly okay?
Souths advised the NRL of the plan, Tigers hid it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Souths advised the NRL of the plan, Tigers hid it.
That's shouldn't matter in regards to whether it's allowed to be outside of the salary cap rules cap or not, which from what we know it isn't.
It would matter in regards to whether they get a penalty/fine etc. ie; Souths won't whilst Tuggers did.

Go Dogs