NRL Hand Down Verdict On Souths-Inglis Cap Situation

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Here it is ladies and gentleman,
The undeniable truth that the NRL is having a great big belly laugh at the Bulldogs expense by keeping us down and giving other teams a competitive advantage.

Loophole in wake of Greg Inglis retirement

South Sydney have inadvertently exposed a potential salary cap loophole in the wake of Greg Inglis’ retirement.

On Monday, Inglis announced he’d be hanging up the boots immediately after an injury-dogged start to the 2019 season despite having 18 months left on his contract.

The value of the remainder of his contact is $1.5 million which Inglis will reportedly sacrifice so as not to disadvantage the Rabbitohs’ going forward.

Inglis will now move into roles with both the Rabbitohs and NRL which will involve coaching, mentorship, ambassadorships and community.

ROTHFIELD WEIGHS IN

“He was only able to retire because Souths offered him a job, a good job, said to be $300,000 a season,” The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield told NRL 360 on Fox League.

“The NRL are talking about topping that up and why wouldn’t they? He’s a great ambassador. I don’t care that he’s getting that money.

“What I do think is a problem, though, and I’ll use Darius Boyd as an example. He’s on $2.4 million for the next three years. He’s not broken but he’s struggling and he’s carrying injuries.

“What’s to stop Anthony Seibold and Paul White going to him at the end of this season saying ‘Souths did this, we’re going to give you a job with NRMA, you’re going to service our sponsors, you’re going to help ‘Seibs’ coach. Can all clubs do this now?”

PAUL KENT HAS HIS SAY

NRL 360 host Paul Kent said it was a concerning situation.

“This is unprecedented and whether it’s allowed to happen again concerns me,” Kent told the show.

“I certainly know there other clubs are sitting there going ‘how in the heck is this allowed?’

“No other player’s allowed to just get their contract taken off the cap because they suddenly can’t play any longer.”

Rothfield added: “If Cameron Smith gets busted later in the year. Do (the Storm) get his money in the cap next year?”

DANNY WIEDLER PITCHES IN

The same issue was raised on Channel 9’s 100% Footy.

Reporter Danny Weidler said other clubs would be paying close attention to Souths and the employment of Inglis.

“So what they’re going to try to do is, they’re going to put in a submission to the NRL and say: ‘This is out of our cap, we can spend it now because Greg Inglis has decided to walk away from that money,’ which is quite remarkable,” Weidler said.

“Greg Inglis will now get a job with Souths, either in community, or do a bit of coaching, and I think clubs will be really watching what he is paid under that amount. If he suddenly gets $800k for doing community work, they’re going to say ‘Hang on, that’s not quite right, that should go in the salary cap’. So it’s going to be watched closely by other clubs.”

“I think if he’s getting 200k then I think they’ll probably get away with that, but if he’s all of a sudden getting a huge amount I think another club would say ‘Well how does that work? We want to retire someone and then get space in our cap and pay our bloke 500k for doing that.”

GOULD HAS A SAY

Penrith supremo, however, dismissed suggestions that the Rabbitohs were trying to sort the cap.

“I think it’s a really trivial argument, I mean I don’t care about it, I don’t care what they pay him,” he said.

“Greg Inglis has retired, I think we can all see, for legitimate reasons.

“This has not been some sort of salary cap play to get him to retire early so they can pay him money previously.

“This kid has walked away from the game. If he gets a job doing anything, I don’t care what they’re paying him. I want Greg Inglis looked after, I want his family looked after, he’s been a great servant of the game.

“Why would we want to weaken South Sydney because they’ve lost a great player and champion in Greg Inglis? This is not a rort.”

Last edited by a moderator:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t even know he retired

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol foran .... different rules for other clubs
Ladies and gentlemen under the current Admin we will be copping this for the rest of eternity. For the sake of our sanity and more importantly our club we must consider all other options possible, and I can assure everybody that other options are available.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good for Rabbitohs

Our club is dumb as bad shit and can’t find the loop holes around salaray cap.

We shed marquee players last year due to salary cap issues
We can’t buy any player this year due to salary cap issues
We won’t be buying any player next year due to salary cap issues.

Which club in the history of league has suffered for 3 consecutive years and not able to spend money for 3 years straight ?!!!

Even Parra cheated the cap for 5 years yet they were able afford big name players and didn’t have to wait 3 years like us to sort the cap out.

Fuck I hate how other clubs make smart decisions and we sit around like retards.

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Foran doesn’t want to retire (based off of his comments) you clowns

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No because he won't have a job or income if he retires. But if the dogs offer him $200k to work within the club it free's up cap space for us approx. $800k

If a player is happy with a couple hundred thousand then he might be enticed to retire. Win for both parties

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest mate, the way things are going we actually need Foran for the rest of the season, he will help us avoid the spoon, with the way things are his leadership and Naps coming back will be a positive if there is one..!!! Don’t hate it’s the truth in the situation we in right now, we need someone to lead from the front An he can do that for us. We in dire at the moment!

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would Foran retire and take a $600K pay cut? Whatever Inglis gets you can guarantee the rest will be made up by brown paper bags. Gotta look after Number 1, and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Imagine going to your wife and kids and saying I took a $600K pay cut for the team/club....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good for Rabbitohs
Our club is dumb as bad shit and can’t find the loop holes around salaray cap.
We shed marquee players last year due to salary cap issues
We can’t get buy any player this year due to salary cap issues
We won’t be buying any player next year due to salary cap issues.
Which club in the history of league has suffered for 3 consecutive years and not able to spend money for 3 years straight ?!!!
Even Parra cheated the cap for 5 years yet they were able afford big name players and didn’t have to wait 3 years like us to sort the cap out.
Fuck I hate how other clubs make smart decisions and we sit around like retards.
Maybe it gives you some idea of how deep the back ended contracts were, without the drastic measures (thankfully taken) we would have been close to 40% over the cap this year.
As for next year, we have around $2m free cap space, so we assuredly will be "buying" players for next season.
Plus we do have some cap space available this year, how much is a guess but simple maths says the 5% we were allowed to underspend plus whatever less we are paying Napa compared to Klemmer. Around $800k is possible.
Considering how big the pile of shit left behind was the decisions that were made were smart, painful for sure, but smart nonetheless.

Go Dogs

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is a sad indictment to the current status of our wonderful club that there are so many poor performances. Where are the 'cement', Robbo and El Masri players gone... Players with balls!

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rothfield on Inglis “he’s a great ambassador”

Clearly the drink has pickled this blokes brain

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
right i think the bulldogs should immediately retire the following players:
Foran (assistant coach)
Hoppa (spiritual guidance advisor)
Montoya (toilet cleaner)

Cap problems solved !!
I don't think Montoya has the skill set to be a toilet cleaner

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Why would Foran retire and take a $600K pay cut? Whatever Inglis gets you can guarantee the rest will be made up by brown paper bags. Gotta look after Number 1, and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Imagine going to your wife and kids and saying I took a $600K pay cut for the team/club....
because its spread out longer meaning he eventually will get more

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let’s see how the NRL handles this situation.

When the Swans bought Buddy Franklin on a ten year contract the AFL said if he retires you are going to wear that contract on your salary cap. 28 year old signed on a ten year deal made sense. Was clear and too the point like the well run organisation they are.

If the NRL allow the Inglis contract to not count towards the cap they are opening a huge can of worms. But more importantly it’s one step closer for Greenburg and Beattie to be fired so that’s a positive

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think Montoya has the skill set to be a toilet cleaner
I tend to agree.. Those toilet roll holders require a bit of thought and effort to reload.
Things that he lacks

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe it gives you some idea of how deep the back ended contracts were, without the drastic measures (thankfully taken) we would have been close to 40% over the cap this year.
As for next year, we have around $2m free cap space, so we assuredly will be "buying" players for next season.
Plus we do have some cap space available this year, how much is a guess but simple maths says the 5% we were allowed to underspend plus whatever less we are paying Napa compared to Klemmer. Around $800k is possible.
Considering how big the pile of shit left behind was the decisions that were made were smart, painful for sure, but smart nonetheless.

Go Dogs

the point is :

we dodged the spoon last year when we were close to getting one due to salaray cap issues
we are hot favorites to win this year due to salary cap issues
we are also favorites to win next year as well due to salary cap issues.

Had we cheated the cap the maximum pain we (US FANS AND MEMBERS) get is for one year, we get ONE wooden spoon not two or three.

this is why i call our club dumb as bat shit cos they dont have the smarts to come out of this mess like Eels have done and like other clubs are doing. Again no club has suffered for 3 consecutive years of having no money to spend on players in the history of league. It would have been so much easier to cheat the cap , cop the spoon and move on.