NRL considering changing kick-off rules in an attempt to stop blowouts

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's another area that bugs me. Not every lost ball is a knock-on. A good half of dropped balls in any game are lost backward, yet the ref calls knock on.
That grinds me too. You see players facing towards their own line, clearly knocking the ball back and its called knock on.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
V'landys for some bizarre reason wants the game to become Rugby. Unlimited tackles, two point field goals, sin bins for everything, short kick offs every time.. Soon we'll see line-outs and five point tries.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a young fella I had a very low torpedo style kick of the tee, that would go like a bullet toward the sideline, I have never seen anyone else be able to do it good, we would regularly get the ball back due to ball finding touch or opposition knocking on trying to stop the ball before it found touch.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The boys will be playing netball soon, at the rate they are changing the rules

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Just admit you were seriously wrong and change the rules back you complete fukwit!

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about they instead just penalise 'wrestling' like they should have from day one (thanks Storm)? We wouldn't even need the 6 again rule if they did that (go watch 80s/90s league and it's fast enough ffs).

E.G.

A)
2+ in the tackle? Check
Player in posession on ground? Check
Player being flipped onto their back/side after being put on ground? Check

= Penalty

B)
2+ in the tackle? Check
Tacklers hands pulling/ripping at the ball resulting in lost ball? Check

= Penalty

C)
2+ in the tackle? Check
Ball players movement stopped, opposition player attacks the legs? Check

= Penalty

If they're really desperate to 'speed up the game', change the 'kick for touch' option to a quick tap if penalty is given in opposition half.

Regarding head highs, they need to split it into two categories, intentional, not intentional... intentional = 10 in the bin/player sent off on the rare/terrible shots, not intentional (no serious injury) = penalty conceded, player fine.

PS also piss off the dead ball 7 tackle set, it's destroyed the long kicking game we all (most of us) fell in love with back in the day.

Last edited:

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Horrible solution.

The attacking team then gets to continue to pile on pressure by keeping the non scoring team deep in their own half.

Say goodbye to the late comeback if you're down by 7+ with limited minutes and you have to hand the ball back

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ironically the main thing they can do to speed up the game, still remains: scrums.

I'd actually be interested to see how many rule changes the gmae has had, graphed out per year and per whoes running the game.

PS also piss off the dead ball 7 tackle set, it's destroyed the long kicking game we all (most of us) fell in love with back in the day.
Ironically this was brought in (as a rule change) because teams would drill it over the dead ball line, and keep a team pinned in their own 20/30m line for the following set.

Just make it if you kick it over the dead ball line it's a restart from the 30m line. That also encourages teams to potentially go for a cheeky 40/20 early in a set to get out of trouble.

When I was a young fella I had a very low torpedo style kick of the tee, that would go like a bullet toward the sideline, I have never seen anyone else be able to do it good, we would regularly get the ball back due to ball finding touch or opposition knocking on trying to stop the ball before it found touch.
Pat Richards still remains the kick off king. He used to mix it up heaps.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How about roll back the 6 again rule or the 0 tackle 20m restart one before changing a rule that has been a cornerstone of the game since it's inception. What the f*ck is wrong with the NRL, soon we won't even be able to have international games as they won't even be the same game anymore

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
How about roll back the 6 again rule or the 0 tackle 20m restart one before changing a rule that has been a cornerstone of the game since it's inception. What the f*ck is wrong with the NRL, soon we won't even be able to have international games as they won't even be the same game anymore
We'll have play to the international rules, and they'll cream us.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
How about they instead just penalise 'wrestling' like they should have from day one (thanks Storm)? We wouldn't even need the 6 again rule if they did that (go watch 80s/90s league and it's fast enough ffs).

E.G.

A)
2+ in the tackle? Check
Player in posession on ground? Check
Player being flipped onto their back/side after being put on ground? Check

= Penalty

B)
2+ in the tackle? Check
Tacklers hands pulling/ripping at the ball resulting in lost ball? Check

= Penalty

C)
2+ in the tackle? Check
Ball players movement stopped, opposition player attacks the legs? Check

= Penalty

If they're really desperate to 'speed up the game', change the 'kick for touch' option to a quick tap if penalty is given in opposition half.

Regarding head highs, they need to split it into two categories, intentional, not intentional... intentional = 10 in the bin/player sent off on the rare/terrible shots, not intentional (no serious injury) = penalty conceded, player fine.

The rule is that a player is tackled the instant his forward progress is halted. So why do referees allow them to stand, struggle and try to get the ball away? There'd be no reason for strips, crushers, or failure to release the player, if the rule was applied properly.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck they look to change one more rule and the kennel suggests 15 others changes lol.

They did it straight after the Manly game i reckon or it was the catalyst, because Manly literally scored 6 or 7 tries on the bounce with the Tits not getting the ball more than once or twice in that whole roll on of 25 odd minutes.It was an obliteration like nothing i've ever seen before i actually felt sorry for the Titans..reckon the beancounting mungs did too.
Not sure i agree with it BUT it allows the team who are getting annihilated in this case the Titans to at least get an opportunity to handle the ball, though i dont recall the time when it was changed briefly during SL or how it went.
Has been the same way forever so maybe it should be left alone AND...

As said calm down on the 6 agains, the idea to make them only when in their attacking 20 has merit or go back to blowing penalties which reduces the speed/roll on the team with ball in hand has at present.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this goes ahead, I’m done with the game.

Will always support the Bulldogs, but the game itself will become unwatchable.
I think some clubs including ours should look at the possibility of breaking away and forming another comp and have nothing to do with the NRL and their masters CH9 and News Ltd.
If necessary their is enough brains around to develop a High Bred game, it is not as difficult as it might seem, and with the current state of RL, I've no doubt fans would flock to it.
Also their are other Channels who would buy rights to it.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A band aid solution for a festering sore. Vlandys is changing the fundamentals of the game in a chase for bums on seats. Rugby league is more than just spectacular tries. The flogs at the top will only address the situation properly if the game goes into decline.
I've always found arm wrestles much more entertaining.