News NRL 2021: Bulldogs talk to Josh Hodgson after stepping down as Raiders co-captain

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brandon Smith wouldn't come unless playing hooker. Why would you want Hodgson to teach Smith? Smith's already won a grand final, and beat (dominated) Australia playing @ hooker.
Smith isn’t off contract until 2023

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I rate Hodgson when healthy but he's played 50 games over the past four seasons due to numerous injuries... If he's signed because we miss out on Cheese, you'd hope it was a cheaper, short term deal and you'd want to sign or find another hooker to have a reliable backup.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
are people really saying "no" to hodgson, like he's another lichaa? I'd happily take him on a 2 yr deal. At some point you need some Experience, and he would be a MASSIVE improvement on what we have now. Look at the broncos, all the talent in the world, and they're kinda rudderless out there

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what’s plan B if Smith doesn’t eventuate, another year of JMK and Katoa. Sign Hodgson up, not every player we sign can be a long term player.
100% agree we need some experience in the spine

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Stuart is reaching his expiration date at the Raiders, something definitely not right there...

He‘s an intense guy and that alone can wear thin year after year....not sure if he’s ever really had that tactical nous as a coach also.
Spot on .... as an emotional coach rather than a tactical coach he's good for about 2 sometimes 3 seasons, then it all goes south - his track record shows that. Origin is where a coach like Stuart really thrives as it's high emotion and intensity for 3 big games.