News NRL 2021: Bulldogs talk to Josh Hodgson after stepping down as Raiders co-captain

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why would Canberra want Sione?

They have Starling who is a gun. Havili can even play back up
They should take Hoppa for rest of the year

ElMagic92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Get 2-3 years out of him and mentor Danny Ghantous who is captaining our SG Ball Team or we find another young hooker.

I feel Brandon Smith is a gun but we lack leadership and experience as well as another bloke that'll come in with a strong work ethic. It may be me judging him off social media but B Smith appears to be too much of a larrikin and is the perfect guy to have at your club when you've got a defined culture. We need to start developing ours!
The Cheese would run through a brick wall for his team mates.

You can see in the field he gives his everything.

Off field not too bad. While he seems like a larrikin, on field he is a gun. At least he’s not banging chicks in a bathroom or vomiting in the streets like some others.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs officials have confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that Hodgson was considered as a short-term solution.

However, the Raiders quickly rejected the overtures, believing Hodgson was vital to their own premiership campaign.

The Dogs interest in Hodgson beyond this season would depend on the club’s first focus, which is believed to be Smith, who they can’t negotiate until November 1.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs officials have confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that Hodgson was considered as a short-term solution.

However, the Raiders quickly rejected the overtures, believing Hodgson was vital to their own premiership campaign.

The Dogs interest in Hodgson beyond this season would depend on the club’s first focus, which is believed to be Smith, who they can’t negotiate until November 1.
The last part is not correct though he has(or had)been given permission to negotiate for '22 subject to a suitable replacement, have not seen that directive rescinded anywhere?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The last part is not correct though he has(or had)been given permission to negotiate for '22 subject to a suitable replacement, have not seen that directive rescinded anywhere?
I think you have to go through Storm first, not Smith or his manager. Barrett already spotted (apparently, reportedly) in Melbourne talking with Smith (I think Barrett also quoted).

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I could see a rotation of B. Smith starting and Hodgson off the bench (who is 32 this year) with the added benefit of Smith being able to play as a running forward
Yeah. Hodgson can also spend time as a playmaking Lock.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the problem with Hodgson is the reported $800K a season salary

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs talk to Josh Hodgson after stepping down as Raiders co-captain

The Bulldogs have made inquiries to prise Josh Hodgson out of Canberra.

In a further development surrounding the immediate playing future of the English international, Raiders management fielded a call from representatives of the Bulldogs two weeks ago.

The Raiders were asked if they would let Hodgson go for the remainder of the 2021 season.

The Bulldogs have their long-term targets set on Storm dummy-half Brandon Smith, but believed Hodgson would prove dynamic in transitioning the club through a tough season this year.

Canterbury have also used a high rotation of dummy-halves due to injuries in the position including Sione Katoa, Jeremy Marshall-KIng and Brad Deitz.

Hodgson on Tuesday relinquished his role as the Raiders’ co-captain.

Hodgson’s decision two weeks ago came as a shock to some at the Raiders and raises huge questions about his long-term future in the nation’s capital.

Hodgson explained his decision to relinquish the captaincy, “I’ve made the decision to stand down as club Captain and I informed the team of this a couple of weeks ago,” the veteran hooker said on a statement issued via the Raiders website.

“I’ve been out injured for the past two games and I’ve been working hard on getting myself back on the training field. I’m confident I’ll be ready to play again when we play the Bulldogs next weekend.

“I can assure everyone that I remain fully committed to the club and I’m looking forward to getting myself back to 100% fitness and helping the team get their season back on track.”

And in another stunning development it has emerged that Hodgson has been at the centre of talks in Brisbane about the potential of trying to lure him to the Broncos next season.

The Hodgson development is intriguing given the debate this season about whether the Raiders play better with Tom Starling as the starting hooker.

The Raiders also have an outstanding prospect rising through the ranks with former Kirwan High hooker Adrian Trevilyan rated a future star.

In fairness to Hodgson, he is returning from an ACL knee injury that ruined his last year but in 2019 was one of the most dominant players in the competition.

Neither coach Ricky Stuart or Hodgson wanted to make comment on Tuesday night but a club statement is expected on Wednesday.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have to go through Storm first, not Smith or his manager. Barrett already spotted (apparently, reportedly) in Melbourne talking with Smith (I think Barrett also quoted).
I think Barrett would have been professional enough to let Melbourne know he was going to catch up with Smith.