No one outside the club wants to play under pay

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Every...fucken...thread.
This place has gone to shit.
Another 5 page shit fight between 4 or 5 people.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You don’t know shit lol, the club is not exempt of criticism just because I’m a supporter
I know I don't know shit. And again you're doing the same thing as you and others like you always do. Twist words.

Of course critise the club. Shit. I've said plenty negative about Pay. The board. Our approach. Board. Plenty.

But I don't come on here every day, starting new threads constantly drumming in negative. Again. And again. And again. And again.

No one is saying "Don't critise." No one has said that. What you're doing is going way beyond this.. Wish you'd admit to it ...

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another impediment to recruitment at the moment, at least from the position of clubs is that not only is the actual salary cap not confirmed but also the number of players allowed to be contracted is also up for discussion - suggestions that it will be reduced to 28 or 26.

Im sure players will be keen to get their futures sorted if there are going to be less opportunities for full time employment clubs may be hesitant to commit.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres nothing wrong with criticism. However, such criticism needs to be constructive.
I think that element is sadly missing in a lot of posts on here.
I wonder if theres a difference between critics of the club and trolls.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Another impediment to recruitment at the moment, at least from the position of clubs is that not only is the actual salary cap not confirmed but also the number of players allowed to be contracted is also up for discussion - suggestions that it will be reduced to 28 or 26.

Im sure players will be keen to get their futures sorted if there are going to be less opportunities for full time employment clubs may be hesitant to commit.
As far as I know the 2021 ($9.9m) and 2022 Caps ($10.0m) were confirmed when the new broadcast deal was signed, source https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...for-2021/1dbf4a63-0474-46d5-81f7-b6b9b2f4df66
"The NRL salary cap should remain at $9.9 million for next season, ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys says. Despite fears that big-money salaries could be slashed in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, V'landys has told The Sunday Mail that they should be maintained thanks to a new broadcast deal."

If the cap is confirmed then it would be extremely unlikely that the number of players would be changed as there would be no reason to do so.

Go Dogs

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score

If that happened. The Dogs would be in the best position to steal a whole lot of players off other clubs given what we have coming off contract.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the problem in not signing players has to do with Pay. It is more whether will he be coach next year and if not who will be. Players want certainty on who the coach will be before signing.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As previously discussed player decision factors in order may well be :
1. Money
2. Daylight
3. Pussey whipping (what does the other half want)
4. Location (can I live in a nice suburb and commute easily to training)
5. Playing position (if they pay me enough I don't care where I play)
6. Club (can they afford to pay me every pay day)
7. Coach (they come and go and I have no control over it)

Go Dogs

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the 2021 ($9.9m) and 2022 Caps ($10.0m) were confirmed when the new broadcast deal was signed, source https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...for-2021/1dbf4a63-0474-46d5-81f7-b6b9b2f4df66
"The NRL salary cap should remain at $9.9 million for next season, ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys says. Despite fears that big-money salaries could be slashed in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, V'landys has told The Sunday Mail that they should be maintained thanks to a new broadcast deal."

If the cap is confirmed then it would be extremely unlikely that the number of players would be changed as there would be no reason to do so.

Go Dogs
Thats what has been said "should be maintained" "intend to maintain" as opposed to has been maintained - semantics yes but on top of the time delays due to covid etc and the prospect of reduced full time player numbers there is a degree of uncertainty greater than most years which will impact recruitment across the code.

The discussion re the numbers of full time players - i dont know how that can change without at least a couple of years allowed for implementation.

Uncertainty around Second tier contracts, part time developement contracts n junior programs n competitions all add to the uncertainty.

Having said that clubs with a good leadership n management will know the type of players they require and be planning accordingly - with multiple options n scenarios. Reactionary clubs will take whats left.

Time will tell

Last edited:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As previously discussed player decision factors in order may well be :
1. Money
2. Daylight
3. Pussey whipping (what does the other half want)
4. Location (can I live in a nice suburb and commute easily to training)
5. Playing position (if they pay me enough I don't care where I play)
6. Club (can they afford to pay me every pay day)
7. Coach (they come and go and I have no control over it)

Go Dogs
Money is the key!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Just updating the DT is reporting as of Friday Vlandys is now saying the NRL are no where near finalising a cap figure for next year - who knows!

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just updating the DT is reporting as of Friday Vlandys is now saying the NRL are no where near finalising a cap figure for next year - who knows!
Well how the he'll can clubs go and recruit when they don't know the salary cap figure

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well how the he'll can clubs go and recruit when they don't know the salary cap figure
Thats my point - the current situation is a challenge for clubs in ensuring they manage their cap n numbers without knowing what the final numbers will be. It is also difficult for players seeking contracts, seeking job security etc particularly for those who are not being able to play n showcase their talent.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive noticed most ex players/commentators break down play. Slater/Gus/Cronk/Thurston/Ricky Stuart/ even Ennis just to name a few.
Whenever Pay is asked 'what will your team be looking to do today' or after a game, 'where do you think you went wrong' we get 'completion/effort/young/defense/we just have to be better etc... Sometimes he'll feed off the back of something thats been suggested to him by the interviewer.
Ive never heard analysis from Pay. There is nothing to suggest he is a tactician.
I beleive we need a different coach next year if we are to be contenders. You can spend all the $$ you want, but if the ship is rudderless....
You cant expect blokes to play off the back of their given talent alone to win a premiership.
Effort and playing for your coach is one thing but if we want to be a consistent top 4 team, a threat to other teams, I just cant see Pay getting us there.
It might sound cold. He's had a tuff gig and I commend him for that. Someone else mentioned that when players under perform they get dropped. Family club, DNA yes but its a job aswell and the goal is to win premierships.
If I was young and good enough to be shopped around, the coach of a club would be of major consideration.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ive noticed most ex players/commentators break down play. Slater/Gus/Cronk/Thurston/Ricky Stuart/ even Ennis just to name a few.
Whenever Pay is asked 'what will your team be looking to do today' or after a game, 'where do you think you went wrong' we get 'completion/effort/young/defense/we just have to be better etc... Sometimes he'll feed off the back of something thats been suggested to him by the interviewer.
Ive never heard analysis from Pay. There is nothing to suggest he is a tactician.
I beleive we need a different coach next year if we are to be contenders. You can spend all the $$ you want, but if the ship is rudderless....
You cant expect blokes to play off the back of their given talent alone to win a premiership.
Effort and playing for your coach is one thing but if we want to be a consistent top 4 team, a threat to other teams, I just cant see Pay getting us there.
It might sound cold. He's had a tuff gig and I commend him for that. Someone else mentioned that when players under perform they get dropped. Family club, DNA yes but its a job aswell and the goal is to win premierships.
If I was young and good enough to be shopped around, the coach of a club would be of major consideration.
It's unrealistic to think we'll be contenders next year even if we had Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson as our coach. We're going to have a top eight roster and I'd predict we're going to be predicted to finish in or around the eight. If we get everything right we'll be realistic contenders in ~2024. Regardless, we do need a better coach (as Pay is a rebuild coach, no top coach would touch us at the time Pay took over as it's a potential career killer) when that better coach is available and at the moment there isn't one. It's always going to be hard for the board to remove Pay when he's technically overachieved (you can say whatever you like to this but you're wrong).

The coach (and more so expected success) is a consideration but money is the most important thing. Knights were able to rebuild from a worse position than us with Nathan Brown (lower win % than Pay and Brown had a competitive roster in his last year) as their coach. The Knights 2018 season is our 2021 season (and we have a lot more money to spend in our first year). Go do some research for your own sake.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly!! That and the fact there was no contracts being approved during the corona lay off. That’s what a few of us have been saying for months. People need to be patient

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's unrealistic to think we'll be contenders next year even if we had Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson as our coach. We're going to have a top eight roster and I'd predict we're going to be predicted to finish in or around the eight. If we get everything right we'll be realistic contenders in ~2024. Regardless, we do need a better coach when that better coach is available and at the moment there isn't. It's always going to be hard for the board to remove Pay when he's technically overachieved (you can say whatever you like to this but you're wrong).

The coach (and more so expected success) is a consideration but money is the most important thing. Knights were able to rebuild from a worse position than us with Nathan Brown as their coach. The Knights 2018 season in our 2021 season (and we have a lot more money to spend in our first year). Go do some research for your own sake.
Your right, it is unrealistic to think that we will win a premiership next year, I didnt say that.
Your wrong. Over achieved? That is your opinion based on zero facts and dont bother, Ive read it from you a million times. Your entitled to your opinion that is why Ive never said anything but its a bit rich telling people they are wrong.