Murray Hip Drop

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Doesnt a hip drop actually require you to have hold of their hips first?
Nope. Just hold on, leave your feet and let your body weight fall onto the back of their legs. Done.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All three of the Key indicators are realised in the Murry tackle none in the Preston tackle.
The NRL Key indicators for Hipdrop are;
1 the defender has a grip and swings nearest hip away from the body landing on lower limbs
2 lowers body weight hits the lower limbs
3 Lands Limbs on foot or weight on lower limbs

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nope. Just hold on, leave your feet and let your body weight fall onto the back of their legs. Done.
Hold on where?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let’s see the NRL come out and defend this. Demetriou came out like a sook saying it’s on the players. Maybe he needs to have a chat with his captain. This is more the traditional hip drop opposed to Preston’s BS excuse of a sin bin.
Preston even winced in pain after that tackle.. I thought he was gone.

There seems to be an issue with these injuries and its stemming from blokes wrapping themselves around a waist and using there body to take out the legs. If its not a hip drop then its a tackle just as bad tbh.

Last edited:

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Preston even winced in pain after that tackle.. I thought he was gone.

There seems to be an issue with these injuries and its stemming from blokes wrapping themselves around a waist and using there body to take out the legs. If its not a hip drop then its a tackle just as bad tbh.
I honestly believe that these tackles have been around for a hundred years ... and most are accidents.

Pretty hard to think i'm going to do a hip drop whilst making a tackle.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly believe that these tackles have been around for a hundred years ... and most are accidents.

Pretty hard to think i'm going to do a hip drop whilst making a tackle.
I disagree to a certain degree... I reckon it has become more prominent due to the neccesity to bring a man down and slow down the ruck. Greg Alexander blamed the storm for it and you can see why, it is a form of wrestle in order to win the ruck.

I honestly think the only way to stop it from happening is the ref needs to call held earlier. Once the momentum in the tackle is done then call held... there is no need what so ever to give the defending team a leg up by letting the man get to the ground at all costs.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Max 2
I disagree to a certain degree... I reckon it has become more prominent due to the neccesity to bring a man down and slow down the ruck. Greg Alexander blamed the storm for it and you can see why, it is a form of wrestle in order to win the ruck.

I honestly think the only way to stop it from happening is the ref needs to call held earlier. Once the momentum in the tackle is done then call held... there is no need what so ever to give the defending team a leg up by letting the man get to the ground at all costs.
1. Max of 2 in the tackle and ref calls held asap after forward momentum stopped.
2. 6 agains can then be abandoned with faster ptb.
3. Absolutely no attacking player to get involved in tackle re rolling ruck aka Campbell's actions bc tacklers have momentum of 2 guys strength in tackle to contend with.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The joke of it is the inconsistency. Reaching I know, but who’s to say Murray gets binned, we score 1-2 tries and jump out to a lead.

And who was in the bunker yesterday? How do they review the Preston one, but not this one?

Has the charge sheet come out? Seems like Preston hasn’t even been charged.
Why wasn't the nut grab on Reynolds by Burgess cited by the NRL? It was in plain sight, and on tape.

So, the low act by Burgess, and "Classic hip drop" by Murray go unpunished, and we have a man binned for nothing.

Don't tell me that the refereeing wasn't lopsided.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“We don’t practice it. There is no way that would happen at training. I can’t stress that point enough. It does not happen at training."
“Coaches and teammates would not let that happen, so I don’t know why that we are accepting that is OK on the field.”
“Look, I don’t think any player is going out there to do it intentionally. This is not me having a crack at anybody in particular or Canterbury."

Thats nice to know - no wonder Murray looked like his missus was gobbing off at a poly bouncer during the presser.
The club and Preston should contest the charge, and if allowed use the Murray one as an example in Presto defence.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The club and Preston should contest the charge, and if allowed use the Murray one as an example in Presto defence.
The Murray one should be referred to the NRL judiciary. Souths blew up big time defending the Preston binning, saying that the NRL needs to crack down on that sort of play - well let's see them do it.

Also with the Burgess dog act on Reynolds. We should learn to take the big dive and roll around in fake agony to milk penalties like the top sides do.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let’s see the NRL come out and defend this. Demetriou came out like a sook saying it’s on the players. Maybe he needs to have a chat with his captain. This is more the traditional hip drop opposed to Preston’s BS excuse of a sin bin.
That makes me white hot with fury, after hearing the holier than thou comments from Demetriou.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He wasn’t charged or fined he got sent off for nothing
There is something seriously disturbing when these frivolous penalty sin bins happen, where a team is effectively rendered no chance of competing bc of defending 10 mins one man down...then later player and fans have it confirmed that the sin bin was totally unjustified.

Meanwhile a fully dedicated, loyal, 100% effort rookie player who gives his heart and soul to his club, team mates and supporter base is treated like dirt, dismissed from the field of play and accused by both the bunker official and the loudmouth opposition coach of being a cheating scumbag out to destroy and hurt his fellow NRL players by tackling illegally.

I hope Preston isn't shaken up too much by the whole farce. He looked devastated last night.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The Murray one should be referred to the NRL judiciary. Souths blew up big time defending the Preston binning, saying that the NRL needs to crack down on that sort of play - well let's see them do it.

Also with the Burgess dog act on Reynolds. We should learn to take the big dive and roll around in fake agony to milk penalties like the top sides do.
Thats what its come down too.

Reactions: ATT