Movie Discussion

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Silence

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7315484/

When the world is under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, 16-year old Ally Andrews (Kiernan Shipka), who lost her hearing at 13, and her family seek refuge in a remote haven.

What happens is a group of geologists crack open a cave 1000 feet underground and these creatures escape. The best way to describe the vesps is a hybrid form of bats/reptiles/aliens/mutant hybrids (screen still below) and these little freaks, while they're blind, they hunt based on sounds. By their flocks, they eats humans. The family of 5 try to escape the catastrophe by heading north to a colder climate where these creatures cannot survive. On their way, they find a farm house. The loud-mouthed owner gets eaten to death when she see's the family trying to quietly enter her property, and she tries to get them off. After managing to enter the house, the mother who has been bitten gets infected. In order to battle the infection, the father and daughter head into town to find a pharmacy, and even though everything is closed down, they find one and get the antibiotics for her. Then you see a creepy cult leader trying to recruit them. They decline. Towards the end they open the door and find a little blonde girl standing there and they bring her in. At this stage, everyone is still being quiet because the freaks are all around. The little girl has a strap of phones hidden. Ringing them will alert the little beasts. The phones start ringing and all hell breaks lose.

The best part of this movie was when the little freaks, attracted to sound, hear wood chipper going on, and they flying in their droves to their demise :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: - it's worth seeing just for that.

6/10

Only somewhat positive feedback I've heard about this one is it's not completely terrible if you don't think, use a bit of your brain and it's unbearable

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Only somewhat positive feedback I've heard about this one is it's not completely terrible if you don't think, use a bit of your brain and it's unbearable
I love horror movies to laugh at them. The scene were the stupid freaks fly directly into their demise via that wood-chipper is downright hilarious :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Silence

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7315484/

When the world is under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, 16-year old Ally Andrews (Kiernan Shipka), who lost her hearing at 13, and her family seek refuge in a remote haven.

What happens is a group of geologists crack open a cave 1000 feet underground and these creatures escape. The best way to describe the vesps is a hybrid form of bats/reptiles/aliens/mutant hybrids (screen still below) and these little freaks, while they're blind, they hunt based on sounds. By their flocks, they eats humans. The family of 5 try to escape the catastrophe by heading north to a colder climate where these creatures cannot survive. On their way, they find a farm house. The loud-mouthed owner gets eaten to death when she see's the family trying to quietly enter her property, and she tries to get them off. After managing to enter the house, the mother who has been bitten gets infected. In order to battle the infection, the father and daughter head into town to find a pharmacy, and even though everything is closed down, they find one and get the antibiotics for her. Then you see a creepy cult leader trying to recruit them. They decline. Towards the end they open the door and find a little blonde girl standing there and they bring her in. At this stage, everyone is still being quiet because the freaks are all around. The little girl has a strap of phones hidden. Ringing them will alert the little beasts. The phones start ringing and all hell breaks lose.

The best part of this movie was when the little freaks, attracted to sound, hear wood chipper going on, and they flying in their droves to their demise :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: - it's worth seeing just for that.

6/10

I honestly forgot the movie existed. It was just boring. I remember bird cage 'cause that was overhyped trash. But I honestly can't remember much of The Silence other than the fact that it was boring.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I love horror movies to laugh at them. The scene were the stupid freaks fly directly into their demise via that wood-chipper is downright hilarious :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
This is still the greatest wood chipper scene

Wahesh

Reaction score
Final Girl

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2124787/

A man teaches a young woman how to become a complete weapon. Later she is approached by a group of sadistic teens who kill blonde women for unknown reasons. The hunting season begins.

The movie appears to be set in the 1950s given that the men all wear tuxedo's and there's not a phone to be seen - not to mention the classic look on the cars. A group of 4 men charm blonde women to joining them on a evening out - and this turns out to be in the woods. The play some truth or dare, then they hunt the girl when she's given a 'die' dare. That happens, however this girl, Veronica, has been trained to be an elite assassin. She pretends that she's scared just as they tell her what's going down, and after she runs away to make the most of her 5 minute headstart, she waits for the men to come and get her... and suddenly the hunters become the hunted.

Not a bad movie, fairly short (80 mins), but the action scenes are pretty cool. It's always good to get a movie which takes you back to what life was like in the 50s.

7/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Torque

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329691/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A biker returns from Thailand to set things straight with his girlfriend. One gang leader wants him for delivery of 2 motorbikes filled with crystal meth and another gang leader wants him for murdering his brother.

I would also like @The_Chimpster's review on this one. I first came to know about this movie after I saw the trailer in the cinemas way back in late 2003/early 2004, and it seemed like, from the ad, it was a very serious movie and was trying to compete with Biker Boys. Boy was I wrong. Now that it's on Netflix, I watched this movie and it's like they're trying to out-do Fast & Furious on bikes. The amount of comedy in this movie is astounding, and I mean actual comedy that will get you laughing. Then there's the action scenes that are so ridiculous, it's impossible to think anyone can take them seriously. At one stage it appeared like the 2 girls in the movie were using their bikes like swords. Yes - it got that ridiculous. This movie should've been a parody movie however given how overdone it was. Now this movie was also released at a time when the F&F movies weren't as over-done as they are now, and a well known cast at the beginning consisting of Ice Cube, Christina Milian, Jaime Pressly, Fredro Starr, and Matt Schulze (from Fast & Furious) made me really want to see it, but it fell so bad on so many levels, that I can understand IMDb's 4.1 rating.

4/10

Last edited:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Torque

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329691/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A biker returns from Thailand to set things straight with his girlfriend. One gang leader wants him for delivery of 2 motorbikes filled with crystal meth and another gang leader wants him for murdering his brother.

I would also like @The_Chimpster's review on this one. I first came to know about this movie after I saw the trailer in the cinemas way back in late 2003/early 2004, and it seemed like, from the add, it was a very serious movie and was trying to compete with Biker Boys. Boy was I wrong. Now that it's on Netflix, This movie is like they're trying to out-do Fast & Furious on bikes. The amount of comedy in this movie is astounding, and I mean actual comedy that will get you laughing. Then there's the action scenes that are so ridiculous, it's impossible to think anyone can take them seriously. At one stage it appeared like the 2 girls in the movie were using their bikes like swords. Yes - it got that ridiculous. This movie should've been a parody movie however given how overdone it was. Now this movie was also released at a time when the F&F movies weren't as over-done as they are now, and a well known cast at the beginning consisting of Ice Cube, Christina Milian, Jaime Pressly, Fredro Starr, and Matt Schulze (from Fast & Furious) made me really want to see it, but it fell so bad on so many levels, that I can understand IMDb's 4.1 rating.

4/10
I remember when it came out a bunch of us went to see it, I refused to spend money on it based on the fact I knew it would suck arse and watched club dread alone instead.

And I'm glad I did as club dread was awesome!!

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember when it came out a bunch of us went to see it, I refused to spend money on it based on the fact I knew it would suck arse and watched club dread alone instead.

Well if Comedy Horror is what you like I'd like to hear your thoughts on Deadly Detention :D

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

You made the right choice there my friend.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Reliant

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6105774/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Economic collapse causes widespread rioting and social unrest, leaving a lovesick 19-year-old girl struggling to care for her siblings in a stretch of woods bordered by lawless anarchy, wondering why a good God would let this happen.

Another movie is America in chaos. It starts off with a man who is involved in a car accident bringing his daughter into hospital. Fast forward 7 years and now we see Kevin Sorbo's character (the father) take his son out to buy ammo for the gun he got him for his 21st birthday. The eldest daughter starts protesting as she's against guns. The movie is pretty emotional, and one of the rare movies that involves the main antagonist turning into a pretty likable protagonist as the movie progresses. You need to watch the movie to watch the character evolve as the story develops. It has a mix of glorifying America's 2nd amendment while also showing us how God works in mysterious ways (this is displayed in the bad guy turning good as well as many Christian references in the movie), so it's kind of weird that both things are central to this story.

Watching the kids survive in the woods is also demonstrated throughout, and yes, it is a pretty emotional movie. It can be tear-jerker to ladies, but I found it quite an enjoyable movie, particularly when the riots break lose and the father races to get home. Good new movie to Netflix worth watching.

8/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Fast and the Furious

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0232500/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Los Angeles police officer Brian O'Conner must decide where his loyalty really lies when he becomes enamored with the street racing world he has been sent undercover to destroy.

Here we go. What better entry to review next than the one that kicked things off for my favorite movie franchise. Approaching 20 years now, this film is everything when it comes to street racers. In the opening race, you'll see stacks of modified cars lining up the streets for the sprint. These cars and the people who turned up were not paid actors. They were people who were given an open invitation to attend and dress how they would for a street meet, and come with their tuned cars. That's what added to the realism. Of course the inside story is that there's a crew who's hijacking trucks and stealing the electronic equipment they're transporting, and selling them on the black market. Brian O'Connor must decide to go with his heart or his brain while working undercover to infiltrate the operation, and starts ruffling feathers without intending to do so.

Some minor goofs in this movie, but overall it's hard to fault them considering this movie was likely to be a one-off likely, however, exploded into a billion dollar franchise which also boasts prequels, spin-offs, tv shows, collectible diecast cars, toys, video games, and Universal theme park attractions.

10/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
Dangerous Lies

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10183816/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

When a wealthy elderly man dies and unexpectedly leaves his estate to his new caregiver, she's drawn into a web of deception and murder. If she's going to survive, she'll have to question everyone's motives - even the people she loves.

It's quite simple really. An old man with no living relatives or next of kin dies, and his caregiver is given his estate in his will. While all this is happening, there is a pesky real estate agent trying to buy the place, and for some reason, people who are involved with either the couple of investigation of the elderly mans death keep popping up and never really give this couple a chance to settle down. It actually gets to the point where it's so confusing, that you lose track of who's who, and how certain things happened.

How this movie, which should be a midday mystery movie, is #1 in Australia on Netflis beyond me.

4/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Tomorrow, When the War Began

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456941/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

When their country is invaded and their families are taken, eight unlikely teenagers band together to fight.

Well this movie starts out as classic Aussie cinema. A bunch of teens from a rural town go camping and when they come home, they find everyone has disappeared. An Asian country (not specifically named) has taken over and keeps all the locals prisoners. The teens must fight back, or at least find a way to survive with everything that's happening. They become targets to the invaders and must stick together to survive and do the best they can to take back their land and their freedom.

It's hard to see something like this actually happening in Australia, and at times the acting is pretty ordinary, but not bad for an Aussie film which usually action.

6/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
One foe the Money

upload_2020-5-6_10-29-55.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598828/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Unemployed and newly-divorced Stephanie Plum lands a job at her cousin's bail-bond business, where her first assignment puts her on the trail of a wanted local cop from her romantic past.

If you want to talk about a movie the never gets off the ground and can't be taken seriously, this is it. In what world would a company employ a woman as a bounty hunter to get their most wanted? Stephanie is out of work and stands to make $50,000 by landing someone she was once romantically linked to who also happens to be a cop. I don't want to waste anymore time reviewing this movie as it was as horrid as they come, and... well I'm not even sure if it can be classed as a chick flick (at first I thought it was action-comedy).

3/10

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

Farcical take on the Sherlock Holmes stories, which proposes that the world's greatest detective is merely the fictional creation of Dr Watson, the real crime-solving genius. However, the doctor has a problem, in that he needs an actor to appear as Holmes, and the best he can turn up is clueless ham Reginald Kincaid. To cap it all, the ill-matched pair find themselves the victims of the villainous Moriarty.

Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley were absolutely perfect in their respective roles with a decent supporting cast. Blended with a good script that contains some very funny material and makes the finished product all the more appealing.

4/5