1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wahesh, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Hacky McAxe

Hacky McAxe Immortal Gilded

I'm deliberately avoiding the new movie. I watched the original so many times and absolutely loved it. Even though the sick sister gave me nightmares. Seriously, that was the part of the movie that got me the most. Great movie though and I don't want to ruin it by watching a terrible remake.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wahesh

Wahesh The Forefather of The Kennel

Oh I understand. You "streamed" it right? ;) wink wink nudge nudge

3. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Immortal Gilded

Saw Beautiful Boy the other day (seemed the best option on my flight).

it's based on the best-selling pair of memoirs from father and son David and Nic Sheff. Basically the son Nic (played by rising star Timothée Chalamet) gets addicted to meth and other things, as his father David, played brilliantly by Steve Carrell does everything he can as a loving father. Maura Tierney plays Carrell's wife.

It's a movie that really gets you in the feels, as you feel the father's pain in trying to get his head around it all. It also reminds us that addiction can happen in any family.

Giving it an 8/10.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Immortal

Underneath his crazy raw comedy style, which I enjoy. Steve Carell is a fantastic actor, very underrated in non comedic genre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Immortal Gilded

To be fair, he does have an Oscar nomination (Foxcatcher). He plays a straight guy in a comedy well (Little Miss Sunshine, The Big Short).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The_Chimpster

The_Chimpster Kennel Enthusiast

unnamed.jpg

A group of young Muslim men living in Sheffield decide to wage jihad, and they hatch an inept plan to become suicide bombers. Omar (Riz Ahmed) and Waj (Kayvan Novak) have a brief, disastrous run at a Pakistan training camp, while Faisal (Adeel Akhtar) works on an unlikely scheme to train birds to carry bombs. Their ill-conceived plan culminates at the London Marathon with their bumbling attempts to disrupt the event while dressed in outlandish costumes.

I was surprised this got past censorship considering the plot, good to see some people still have a sense of humour.
    What really worked in this movie was the writing and dynamic between the characters, you feel like your actually there taking part on the action resulting in a very well made black comedy that I found hilarious.

8/10

7. Some doggies supporter

Some doggies supporter Participant

Anyon where watched Godzilla 2? It’s a pretty fun action romp with somewhat confusing writing but the actors get you emotional invested within the story. Plus who doesn’t like gojira? Overall I recommend it if you have some free time

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hacky McAxe

Haven’t seen it yet but plan to watch it sometime this week. I enjoyed the first movie and the King Kong movie

9. Hacky McAxe

@ASSASSIN @south of heaven

The Deadwood Movie is now out on HBO in the US and will be on Foxtel tomorrow at 8:30pm.

Reviews are saying that it's near perfection.

• Best Post Best Post x 2
  10. Wahesh

A mate gave me that to watch back in 2012. I haven't gotten around to it yet lol. It sounds like a fun movie to watch though, hopefully it's on Netflix.

11. ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN The Bearded Crusader Premium Member Gilded

I'll open a can of peaches......cocksucka

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wahesh

Beverly Hills Ninja

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118708/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

[​IMG]

Haru is a white orphan boy who is found by a clan of ninjas as an infant in an abandoned treasure chest and is raised by them.

Haru never quite conforms to their culture and never acquires the skills of a ninja, but is nonetheless good-natured, and persevering in his personal ambitions. His first mission brings him to Beverly Hills to investigate a murder mystery.

This movie is part of the golden age of action-comedy films in the 90s. I can't believe it took me 22 years to finally watch it. It is hilarious and one of those comedies where you just don't know what will come next and what will make you laugh.

@The_Chimpster Nicolette Sheridan... my goodness this woman was in her prime in this film.

By far, the funniest scene in this movie was the strip-club.

7/10

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  13. Wahesh

Do you review comedy movies? I'm interested in one for The Hitman's Bodyguard if you've done it :grinning:

14. Neil Peart

Neil Peart Forum Regular

Really liked it. I wanted Dan Dority to wreak some final havoc but he seemed semi-retired. The nigger general (for any pc cunt out there not familiar with the show, that's the show's words, not mine) hairstyle was classic. The very last line in the movie from Al is a classic.

• Love Love x 1
  15. MatstaDogg

MatstaDogg The Bearded Baker Premium Member

Fuck I knew they were making it didn't realise it was out. Hopefully they repeat it on Foxtel I need to see it. I absolutely loved the show might have to rewatch the series again before I watch the movie.

Also, i fucking love Al Swearengen as a character!!

16. Wahesh

17. Wahesh

American Assassin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1961175/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

[​IMG]

After the death of his girlfriend at the hands of terrorists, Mitch Rapp is drawn into the world of counterterrorism, mentored by tough-as-nails former U.S. Navy S.E.A.L. Stan Hurley.

Overall, this movie was average. It had some good scenes in it, however a lot of the scenes were questionable at best and somewhat cringe-worthy. I usually like action movies that involve a coach/mentor, however this wasn't one that worked very well for me.

6/10.

18. Wahesh

@The_Chimpster - don't go cold on us with your reviews my friend.

19. The_Chimpster

The_Chimpster Kennel Enthusiast

Here you go wahesh

unnamed.jpg

The submarine U.S.S. Manta had a perfect record until the mysterious death of its captain. The next-in-command, Lt. Richard Brice (Bruce Greenwood) is determined to steer his disheartened crew back to safety. But after three battle survivors board the sub, bizarre and frightening things begin to happen. As the tale unfolds, and crew members begin to disappear, Ensign Douglas O'Dell (Matthew Davis) must piece together the puzzles of the submarine's past before it is too late to resurface alive.

Solid acting, nice pacing and competent direction raise this one slightly above the standard submarine flick, found the script a bit derivative and the ending a bit of a cop out but all on all, not bad

3/5

images (1).jpeg

Six adventurous strangers travel to a mysterious building to experience the escape room -- a game where players compete to solve a series of puzzles to win $10,000. What starts out as seemingly innocent fun soon turns into a living nightmare as the four men and two women discover each room is an elaborate trap that's part of a sadistic game of life or death.

Watched this based on a recommendation, the guy who recommended it must not get my taste in movies.

Not a bad late night movie to watch if you can't sleep, wouldn't strongly recommend it though, found nothing particularly great about this one, it was just a meh from me.

2/5

images (2).jpeg

Soon after losing his salvage job, former naval officer Robinson (Jude Law) assembles a misfit crew of unemployed sailors for a risky mission: Find a sunken Nazi U-boat, rumored to contain a fortune in gold. Promising each man an equal share, Robinson leads the mixed British and Russian crew to comb the depths of the Black Sea. Before long, greed takes hold of a crew already divided along language and cultural lines -- and the fewer men that make it back alive, the more gold to go around.

Was quite impressed by this one. Reminded me of triple frontier, but done much better.

The character devolment was fantastic with arguably only one likable character, smart direction, interesting plot and an overall great flick make this one i recommend.

4/5

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Wahesh

Murder Mystery

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1618434/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

[​IMG]

On the Weekend Today Show, they said that 30,000,000 people watched this movie in it’s opening week on Netflix… so I thought why not.

A couple go away on a holiday to Europe and are invited to attend a nuptials party on a billionaires yacht. He tells everyone there that he will leave his entire estate you his young trophy wife (who just happens to be an Australian/Japanese actress)… and just before he signs the contract, the lights go off… and he is killed in the darkness. Then the hunt for his killers begin. Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston’s characters are of course framed, and they go on the run from the law trying to find the real killer(s) in the process.

This is a typical Adam Sandler comedy movie. I find that there is a lot more comedy in this than most of his recent films. There are a lot of twists and turns that you don’t see coming, and those are the types of movies that I like. I’m not a Romantic Comedy person, but I watched this one with nothing to lose, and came watching a movie that was better than I expected.

7/10