Movie Discussion

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

A troubled musical prodigy and a new star pupil embark down a sinister path.

Another Netflix original, great performances all round, (plus I think I'm in love with Allison Williams) :hearteyes:
and solid direction. Overall I thought the opening half hour was great, building towards a great second act, but the story ultimately falls apart at the seams.
It tries to be to clever for its own good, the writers really should have just kept things simple with this one.

2/5

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 10439
A troubled musical prodigy and a new star pupil embark down a sinister path.

Another Netflix original, great performances all round, (plus I think I'm in love with Allison Williams) :hearteyes:
and solid direction. Overall I thought the opening half hour was great, building towards a great second act, but the story ultimately falls apart at the seams.
It tries to be to clever for its own good, the writers really should have just kept things simple with this one.

2/5
I was worried about this. I keep putting it off as I'm worried it'll be terrible. I think I'll still watch it eventually.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tracers

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401097/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Wanted by the Chinese mafia, a New York City bike messenger escapes into the world of parkour after meeting a beautiful stranger.

This is not a bad movie. I wasn't sure what to expect when I put this on, but it's pretty good. The actors are very athletic, and you good almost pluck some of the scenes from "People are Awesome" videos on YouTube. A lot of stunts are involved and you just don't know when they are going to end. The sub-plot of the movie was ok, but it was the parkour stunts themselves that were awesome.

Highly recommend this movie to @Hacky McAxe & @The_Chimpster and also for anyone wanting to watch something different, or for people who are adrenaline junkies.

8/10.
Been planning to watch this for a while. Was a little put off by Taylor Lautner though

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
less than 2 months to go :grinning:

Final trailer

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
less than 2 months to go :grinning:

Final trailer

In the words of chasey lain

"I would rather slurp rancid tuna salad out of my own arse, or scourer my boobies off with a rusty SOS pad, or hump a piece of splintered wood"

Than watch that movie.

But that's just me.
Sorry Wahesh :tongueclosed:

Wahesh

Reaction score
In the words of chasey lain

"I would rather slurp rancid tuna salad out of my own arse, or scourer my boobies off with a rusty SOS pad, or hump a piece of splintered wood"

Than watch that movie.

But that's just me.
Sorry Wahesh :tongueclosed:
I love mindless action films lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Alita: Battle Angel

This is one of those movies that I held off watching because I didn't want to be disappointed. I loved the anime of Alita Battle Angel and wasn't sure if this could do it justice.

When it first came out I watched the reviews and there generally seemed to be your usual anime to movie adaptation review issue. Half the people rate it badly because they have white actors portraying characters from a Japanese comic, and the other half praise it because they just want to counter the left wing people who complain about white washing.

In other words, it was very hard to judge if it would actually be good based on reviews.

After watching it I have to say that it is kind of crap. It's a very mixed bag. They have some really decent actors and excellent CGI, but the script is absolute crap. There's no structure to it, it's messy, it feels like there's large amounts missing, and overall it's just not interesting in any way.

This could have been really good but the poor writing just ruined it. I would suggest avoiding it unless you have nothing better to do.

Worst part I forgot to point out and it's kind of a spoiler but not really....

... There's no ending. Seriously. It's basically "to be continued" and you know full well that they'll never make a sequel.

5/10

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Wrong Babysitter

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6145232/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

A recent kidnapping has single mom Susan worried about leaving her daughter Christy at home for an out-of-town trip - until neighbor Teri offers to "babysit," looking in on Christy and spending the night. But Susan rushes home when Christy goes missing, and she'll have to open the past wound of her husband's death in order to rescue the only family she has left.

The mistake I made with this film was continuing to watch it when they expected us to believe that a woman in her early 30s would pass as being the High School Principal. You know those cringe-worthy day-time movies you see on channel 7? This is one of them. It shouldn't be on Netflix.

4/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Kill Ratio

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5020372/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

An attack on the new President of a fledgling Eastern European democracy pits an American covert operative against the country's ruthless military leader determined to seize control of the government.

This is an action movie where 1 CIA agent posing as an American employee of a company operating in Europe can take on the entire army of an evil dictator who escapes from jail in the hopes of reclaiming power. Mindless action flick if you're bored.

5/10.

Attachments

Wahesh

Reaction score
Shaft

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4463894/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

John Shaft Jr., a cyber security expert with a degree from MIT, enlists his family's help to uncover the truth behind his best friend's untimely death.

No, this isn't Shaft from 1971. No, it's not Shaft from 2000. It's Shaft from 2019. Like the previous 2 movies, this one 3rd movie in the trilogy, and all 3 movies have the same name. This movie shifts gear slightly from being an action flick, to action-comedy. The links from the previous movies in the trilogy are evident with Samuel L. Jackson AND Richard Roundtree both returning for this film. It's not a bad movie, very enjoyable, and has a strong Samuel L. Jackson feel about it.

Put it this way... if you liked The Hitman's Bodyguard, you'll like this too.

7/10.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Shaft

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4463894/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

John Shaft Jr., a cyber security expert with a degree from MIT, enlists his family's help to uncover the truth behind his best friend's untimely death.

No, this isn't Shaft from 1971. No, it's not Shaft from 2000. It's Shaft from 2019. Like the previous 2 movies, this one 3rd movie in the trilogy, and all 3 movies have the same name. This movie shifts gear slightly from being an action flick, to action-comedy. The links from the previous movies in the trilogy are evident with Samuel L. Jackson AND Richard Roundtree both returning for this film. It's not a bad movie, very enjoyable, and has a strong Samuel L. Jackson feel about it.

Put it this way... if you liked The Hitman's Bodyguard, you'll like this too.

7/10.
Technically this is the 5th movie, as Richard Rountree had a trilogy of Shaft films:

Shaft (1971)
Shaft's Big Score (1972)
Shaft in Africa (1973)

Then there's also the Shaft Tv Series in '73/'74 also starring Richard Rountree which lasted for 7 episodes before being axed.

Side note, we had a 1970s theme party and I went as Shaft. Whenever someone asked me who I was I said, "Shaft, can you dig it?" and each time they replied "Who's that?". Except for one guy who said "Oh, yeah. The Samuel L. Jackson movie. But that wasn't from the 1970s"

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Technically this is the 5th movie, as Richard Rountree had a trilogy of Shaft films:

Shaft (1971)
Shaft's Big Score (1972)
Shaft in Africa (1973)

Then there's also the Shaft Tv Series in '73/'74 also starring Richard Rountree which lasted for 7 episodes before being axed.

Side note, we had a 1970s theme party and I went as Shaft. Whenever someone asked me who I was I said, "Shaft, can you dig it?" and each time they replied "Who's that?". Except for one guy who said "Oh, yeah. The Samuel L. Jackson movie. But that wasn't from the 1970s"
Did you go full blackface? :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Did you go full blackface? :grinning:
Nah. I had to walk through some pretty heavily left wing areas. I would have been Antifa'd if I tried that.

I did go the full black wig, black eye brows and fake black moustache though.

Funny side story. Was heading out the other weekend and in the middle of the day there's this kid on the other side of the road obviously going to a fancy dress party or something. He's wearing a full Nazi uniform just standing there waiting to be picked up. He looked so awkward so I gave him a quick, "Nice uniform brother. For Deutschland!"

He turned green before he realised that I was joking.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

After returning to his childhood home, a disgraced children's puppeteer is forced to confront his wicked stepfather and the secrets that have tortured his entire life.

A very very slow dark character study about an abused boy who grows into a rather disturbing individual. This one that relies heavily on ambience, an extremely dreary color pallette and imagination to tell its story. The lead actor Sean Harris did a tremendous job with the material he was given to work with.

This is definitely not for everyone with an 85 minute runtime that felt like two hours, not a bad flick but would have worked a lot better as a short imo. (the standout being the acting and the puppet)

3/5

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I consider it hair appropriation. Just like full haired guys that shave their head. It's hair appropriation.