Moses Suli agrees to part company

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Possibly. I think he probably lacks the drive to be an NRL footballer at this stage. Everything came easy to him and he probably grew up with everyone telling him how great he was..now when a little hard work was required he just couldn't step up. Injuries also don't help i guess.
I agree
It’s a combination of what you said about hard work (lack thereof) and what Mr I said regarding physiological damage

I hope he gets the help he needs

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The kid was on $400k a year as a 19 year old. Must pay the school leavers a fair bit in NZ if that is underpaid. His problems have nothing to do with footy nor his employment. The NRL has a duty of care to those in the system not those who decide to walk away.
That's true. From all reports he was given ample assistance in dealing with the problems he encountered when his Dad died and both clubs exercised due diligence in dealing with him then and now . Unfortunately when one does not want to really be helped what can you do?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This kid is probably suffering from depression. It’s not unheard of with young football players. Some time away will do him some good, better than him offing himself like others have in the past. It’s a huge opportunity he’s throwing away but you can’t put a price on your health.

Still I’d like to see some stats on whether this was the quickest turnaround between a player being signed and released. (Not just reneging)

Couple of years ago when his Dad died he was very troubled, understandably so. Efforts were made to help him deal with it by the Tigers but he just could not get himself set straight. He just seems to not be able to deal with injury at the moment. He came to us injured and could not bring himself to be a 'team player' apparently leaving the ground after he had done his allotted rehab and then a weights session on his own, when the requirement was for him to stay and complete the said weight session with team mates. The club moved him to the Belmore house so it was easier to be prompt to training but he decided that he would rather continue to go back home to Mum in Fairfield which meant travel was an issue as he does not have a licence. Confused young lad who maybe might be better off without the pressure of footy and the responsibilities that go with it.

Mikehnz

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just been reading the latest (9 hours ago) Suli article on Fox.. where on earth do they get their reporters? Have a look at the assault on the English language..

"While his teammates left for a bite to eat, Suli approach trainer Tony Grimaldi to ask if he could do his weights program now so he could leaving training earlier."

Regardless of what happened, don't mind the club giving him a chance.. any logical thoughts would have been along the lines of that he would get his act together after being released by the Tigers.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like who? Holland?
We dont have those type of players on the verge of fitstgrade.
Like reimis smith, bergamin, carr, lewis to name a few.
Im not suggesting we stake our future on these guys, but rushing out to sign someone now may be premature if one of these guys has a breakout year.
Reimis smith has been on the verge for quite a while. Hell even hasbeen played him in fg.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reimis smith needs to learn to tackle first
Turnstile is an understatement

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mark Hughes used to our recruitment manager and brought to the club many young talents including Jonathon Thurston and Sonny Bill Williams. Mark was fond of reciting a quote from former US President Calvin Coolidge as to what separated his three star recruits from other talented schoolboys: Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The same thing in my job (real estate) talent is the least important thing,the most important thing and what separates the guns from the average is grit/heart and work ethic,this applies to everything in life

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/troubled-teen-moses-suli-could-end-up-at-manly-20180302-p4z2it.html

Troubled teen Moses Suli could end up at Manly

Manly could become Moses Suli’s third club in just over a month after the Sea Eagles entertained the prospect of throwing the troubled teen a lifeline.

Suli and his manager were spotted in negotiations with Manly officials at Narrabeen on thursday morning. The parties discussed the prospect of the former Tigers and Bulldogs centre joining Trent Barrett’s roster for 2018.

The Sea Eagles still have money remaining in their salary cap, but have been hamstrung in the recruitment stakes due to the salary cap investigation hanging over the club. The Silvertails missed out on the signatures of Mitchell Pearce and Trent Hodkinson because they were unable to spend their funds until a determination is reached.

Suli made headlines after signing a rich $1.3 million contract at Wests Tigers before he had even played an NRL game. He went on to play 16 NRL games and was chosen as part of Brad Fittler’s emerging Blues squad during the offseason. However, the 19 year old has been struggling with the pressures of professional football and has been released from two clubs in the space of 27 days. The Tigers moved him on after showing a lack of commitment, including missing several training and rehab sessions.

It was hoped a change of scene would help and he was quickly snapped up by Canterbury, where he reunited with recruitment boss Warren McDonnell. However, the Tongan three-quarter slipped into old habits and was released after receiving three warnings from the Bulldogs hierarchy.

It was feared Suli’s promising career could be over just as it began, but the Sea Eagles interest raises hopes he will be able to fulfil his undoubted potential.

It’s understood Suli is close to several young Manly players he had previously played with and this will hopefully create an environment that will bring out his best.

Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary said his club had done everything possible to help Suli through a difficult period.

“Moses was a long process and we feel comfortable we did everything we could,” Cleary said.

“We offered him the support he needed in a whole range of different areas. He’s a young guy who has struggled to come to grips with different areas and the commitment that’s required.”

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im never going to get to use my "C parts the Moses" now. If there was ever a pic of Jackson and the 2 Moses either side. :sleepy:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/troubled-teen-moses-suli-could-end-up-at-manly-20180302-p4z2it.html

Troubled teen Moses Suli could end up at Manly

Manly could become Moses Suli’s third club in just over a month after the Sea Eagles entertained the prospect of throwing the troubled teen a lifeline.

Suli and his manager were spotted in negotiations with Manly officials at Narrabeen on thursday morning. The parties discussed the prospect of the former Tigers and Bulldogs centre joining Trent Barrett’s roster for 2018.

The Sea Eagles still have money remaining in their salary cap, but have been hamstrung in the recruitment stakes due to the salary cap investigation hanging over the club. The Silvertails missed out on the signatures of Mitchell Pearce and Trent Hodkinson because they were unable to spend their funds until a determination is reached.

Suli made headlines after signing a rich $1.3 million contract at Wests Tigers before he had even played an NRL game. He went on to play 16 NRL games and was chosen as part of Brad Fittler’s emerging Blues squad during the offseason. However, the 19 year old has been struggling with the pressures of professional football and has been released from two clubs in the space of 27 days. The Tigers moved him on after showing a lack of commitment, including missing several training and rehab sessions.

It was hoped a change of scene would help and he was quickly snapped up by Canterbury, where he reunited with recruitment boss Warren McDonnell. However, the Tongan three-quarter slipped into old habits and was released after receiving three warnings from the Bulldogs hierarchy.

It was feared Suli’s promising career could be over just as it began, but the Sea Eagles interest raises hopes he will be able to fulfil his undoubted potential.

It’s understood Suli is close to several young Manly players he had previously played with and this will hopefully create an environment that will bring out his best.

Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary said his club had done everything possible to help Suli through a difficult period.

“Moses was a long process and we feel comfortable we did everything we could,” Cleary said.

“We offered him the support he needed in a whole range of different areas. He’s a young guy who has struggled to come to grips with different areas and the commitment that’s required.”
He's really going to make it training on time at Manly lol

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's really going to make it training on time at Manly lol
The only way would be to put him up in the weights room, but even that may be a stretch to get there on time.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reimis smith needs to learn to tackle first
Turnstile is an understatement
Correct - turnstyle offers more in defence - it easy to come up with names to replace other names but anyone who has watched regular NSW cup can see the obvious limitations in some players games. Smith improved through last year BUT his defence - his reads were like Brenko L and physical commitment like Abbeys.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Considering they had to offload players already this year to get under the cap, I can't see how they can even fit him in their Top 30.

The NRL won't even allow them to sign players at the moment will they?

Sounds more like Tartak trying to drum up business and not lose his cut.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apparently Moses Suli has been signed by MANLY JUST NOW ...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Apparently Moses Suli has been signed by MANLY JUST NOW ...
How so .. NRL have frozen Manly out from making any signings at present, until the Salary Cap probe into them is resolved. Maybe he's signed an MOU but NRL will not register a contract for a Manly player till the cap issue is done and dusted (assuming it doesn't end up in court).

There's every likelyhood they will face a heavily reduced cap as a result.

That's why they've settled for Croker instead of chasing Carney hard.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
MOSES Suli was in his mid-teens when he found his father dead on the garage floor.

The youngest of five boys with a young sister who grew up in Fairfield, Suli arrived home alone when he discovered his father had suffered a heart attack during a weights workout.

Suli tried desperately to revive him but is said to still suffer personal guilt for not being able to do more.

It sounds completely heartless to tell this story a day after the richest teenager in NRL history was sensationally sacked from his second club in just 27 days.

Moses Suli’s journey has not been simple. (Mark Evans)
Just as it sounds callous to reveal that one of his brother’s was diagnosed with a brain tumour last year as the then 18-year-old was struggling to come to terms with his rapid rise in the NRL.

And that during his final two years at Westfields Sports High, Suli never once played footy with the kids at school because he had stress fractures in his back followed by a serious syndesmosis ankle injury.

It limited his playing time to two under-20s Holden Cup appearances before he was signed on a lucrative $1.3 million contract over three years.

People ask: How could a kid with the world at his feet squander such a wonderful opportunity?

“What people don’t understand is that there is a lot of good about this kid,” a friend close to Suli during his teenage years told The Daily Telegraph, opening up to put some balance and perspective to what has been a vicious fallout.

“I think to myself, bloody hell, if half of you had to go through the same shit as this kid has you might think differently.

“I’m not saying he doesn’t have some issues he has to deal with — and he has to be the one who admits to that — but all I am seeing at the moment from the outside is that there are a lot of people with opinions who don’t know the true story.

“Moses’ mum was left to bring up five boys and a daughter. You can imagine what it was like for them.

“So yeah, the story is never told. But there is always an underlying issue.”

Canterbury chair Lynne Anderson could not be contacted but Ivan Cleary conceded at Thursday’s Wests Tigers’ season launch his club could not have done more to help Suli deal with his problems: “No, I don’t feel sorry for him.”

Moses Suli as an 11-year-old star. Picture: Glenn Walker.
While that might sound tough, anyone who knows Cleary as an NRL coach and as a father understands that he would have done everything in his power to find a solution.

There just wasn’t a solution at this point in time.

Respected NRL wellbeing and education manager Paul Heptonstall added that while it was understandable to feel sympathy for Suli: “Ivan is probably right. Sometimes you learn more from pain, don’t you?

There is no doubting the teenager’s talent. (Gregg Porteous)
“As a dad, you hate to see your kids feel pain. But you know they have to feel some pain to learn.

“I have a young fella next to me in the car, he is in a wheelchair. And I am thinking, he lives resilience every single day.”

And there is the fame and fortune. While some can handle it, most don’t.

“Every case is so individual and it is very hard to try and come up with a blanket solution for everything,” Heptonstall said.

Suli as an eight-year-old for Mounties. Picture: Nick Andrean.
“All I know with my wellbeing hat on is very few young kids play first grade without some repercussions later on.

“When you get things too early I don’t think there is an appreciation as much of having to have worked for it.”

Suli met with his manager Mario Tartak on Thursday and said he still wanted to play rugby league. The question will be when he is ready.

“I agree, he has to show someone that he wants it bad enough for those people to be able to help him,” his friend said.

“But right now he needs to be treated as a 19-year-old. Not as a superstar.

“That’s what people need to understand.”

Status
Not open for further replies.