Mick Potter

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only thing more disgraceful is this club conceding this season already by fukin around with the Coaching job.
Potter is on a hiding to nothing as interim but at least he is willing to try Avo at 1 when over 3 seasons Pay and Barrett didn’t.

He shouldn’t be in this position as Gould should have replaced Barrett straight away and not carry on this charade for over half a season.

I would prefer Potter is kept on with his own choice of assistants 1,000,000 times before he hires bare foot yoga yuppie.

I will be on gardening leave for as long as Fittler and Gould remain at the club if he is appointed.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Potter is on a hiding to nothing as interim but at least he is willing to try Avo at 1 when over 3 seasons Pay and Barrett didn’t.

He shouldn’t be in this position as Gould should have replaced Barrett straight away and not carry on this charade for over half a season.

I would prefer Potter is kept on with his own choice of assistants 1,000,000 times before he hires bare foot yoga yuppie.

I will be on gardening leave for as long as Fittler and Gould remain at the club if he is appointed.
Agree with Avo comment for sure.

I'm only just hanging on now so if Fitler does come on and he can't Coach as expected then can't see me sticking around. Too much damage and too many years and too much lost. Not sure how much of the club I love/d is left tbh.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What even is defense coaching? Like surely there isnt that much fucking technical shit involved. Fucking make your tackles and stay switched on? That should cover 90% of shit, no? Coaching attacking structures ok requires some technical shit. But defence, come on, its attitude and these players have none.

Snackdoogie

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think one key measurable for Potter and his tenure this year at the Bulldogs is whether or not he is able to play players in their best positions. For example giving Averillo a go at FB.

Maybe TPJ at prop. If he can test players in their best positions that is good enough for the rest of this right off of a season.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What even is defense coaching? Like surely there isnt that much fucking technical shit involved. Fucking make your tackles and stay switched on? That should cover 90% of shit, no? Coaching attacking structures ok requires some technical shit. But defence, come on, its attitude and these players have none.
Not totally. Sliding or up and in like we once did are just 2 examples. The best teams these day control the ruck thru wresting and putting players on thier backs, but also use speed off the line to cut down the distances gained and momentum.

Fitness both physical and mentally are paramount to good D, and then if you can intimidate and hurt, you own them.

Great defence destroys confidence in the opposition and creates confidence, time and space for your attack. Defence is attitude but you need all the ingredients including structure.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not totally. Sliding or up and in like we once did are just 2 examples. The best teams these day control the ruck thru wresting and putting players on thier backs, but also use speed off the line to cut down the distances gained and momentum.

Fitness both physical and mentally are paramount to good D, and then if you can intimidate and hurt, you own them.

Great defence destroys confidence in the opposition and creates confidence, time and space for your attack. Defence is attitude but you need all the ingredients including structure.
I guess i was mainly talking goal-line defence, where we have leaked main points. This is surely all attitude and fitness (both we hv none). Plodders like thompson waddell dufty etc who just let players through.

Agree that wrestling is a fine art that if done well makes a big difference. But thats also where rhe 6 again rule gets abused without proof.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We don’t have a coach atm. We are a park football team and burton and Addo carr are getting together and scheming how they can score points. Flanagans a pussy **** and couldn’t run a bath. We need Flanagan sr in asap

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I am gonna pinpoint something for you all . We have hardly had any sessions under Potter since he took over. First week they trained once due to the flu. This week Gus confirmed we only got one session in due to short turn around. So on that basis Potter has probably had about 5 sessions total with the team . So his influence will have been very minimal to date and it's hard to undo the damage that has been created the last 3 seasons in 5 sessions . I really like some of the changes though to our attack . Ie no more Jackson at first reciever. He had the balls to punt Dufty and put Avo there. These are positives . Frankly we scored enough points in all 3 games under Potter to win the games.
I honestly can't see why Harry is a problem. He is basically doing a favour for a mate. He has shit assistants around him and plenty of shit on the field disguised as FGers.

We should be happy that someone actually stepped into this shit show, even as an interim.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would actually keep potter.
he is a bulldog.
doesn’t appear to have issue with Gould.
has experience being coach, top grade and lower grade and as a assistant.

can see he is willing to try things live Avo fullback and this last game I finally saw burton play like a real 5/8.
he inherited a basket case mid season so results are a hiding yo nothing

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Potters cheering anyway
Imagine getting a phone call that comes with a 200k pay day with 0 expectations on him. He'd be loving it with no long term commitment too

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I would actually keep potter.
he is a bulldog.
doesn’t appear to have issue with Gould.
has experience being coach, top grade and lower grade and as a assistant.

can see he is willing to try things live Avo fullback and this last game I finally saw burton play like a real 5/8.
he inherited a basket case mid season so results are a hiding yo nothing
He said from the start he wants the interim job and nothing more.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that potter took over this shit show is super impressive. He clearly has let burton and foxx do what they want in attack. If he can fix the defence and wants a role with the club next year he should have an opportunity, maybe not head coach but we will see

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The fact that potter took over this shit show is super impressive. He clearly has let burton and foxx do what they want in attack. If he can fix the defence and wants a role with the club next year he should have an opportunity, maybe not head coach but we will see
Even Burton said he is playing eyes up footy when asked about the early kick for the JAC try. More than Baz let him and JAC do.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He said from the start he wants the interim job and nothing more.
Why does everyone take what players/coaches tell the media so literally?

Mick would love nothing more than to win a bunch of games this year and be back in contention for a full time head coaching gig at any club. His comment was nothing more than blunting expectations.

Just like everyone here getting a massive chub on for TPJ after his throwaway comment declaring he wants to lead us to premiership glory. In reality, he’s more likely to be playing for another club next year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Even Burton said he is playing eyes up footy when asked about the early kick for the JAC try. More than Baz let him and JAC do.
Was clearly "off the cuff" footy and I think that could be translated to, "No other c#nt was going to come up with anything so JAC and I just went with it".

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Mick would love nothing more than to win a bunch of games this year and be back in contention for a full time head coaching gig at any club. His comment was nothing more than blunting expectations.

Just like everyone here getting a massive chub on for TPJ after his throwaway comment declaring he wants to lead us to premiership glory. In reality, he’s more likely to be playing for another club next year.
Exactly how coaching aspirants should talk to the media. Give them nothing.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

I dont think it would have been fair to sack baz at the end of last year considering the side he had wasn't improved at all by then. He was always getting a free pass last year.

Take hindsight out of it. I would have spewed if we had sacked him that soon since the previous coach had lost the job after being handed a shit side and no money to spend. Would have been 2 coaches in a row who weren't given a fair chance.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

He was asked if he wants the tigers job and rushed and answered of course he would go back.

Probably more realistic than the Dogs job.