Michael Maguire questions the Dogs last TRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've met Madge in person and he is one of the nicest person you can meet, but come on was he serious about this article? What about our first TRY that was dis allowed, this was a TRY for all money, Morris did NOT disrupt anyone's line in defence! I guess in the end it's called Karma as the Video referee finally came to terms that Sutton was not impeeded and tried to milk that penalty!

[h=1]Michael Maguire has questioned the video referees’ call to award Canterbury a vital try[/h]

• 2 HOURS AGO APRIL 18, 2014 10:00PM

Souths coach Michael Maguire has questioned the video referees’ call to award Canterbury a vital try. Source: News Corp Australia

BY his own admission, Michael Maguire rarely complains publicly about referees.

There’s been just one instance since he began coaching the Rabbitohs two years ago, and it was only provoked when star fullback Greg Inglis was dropped on his head twice in one match.
But after watching his team lose in heartbreaking fashion, Maguire could not contain himself over the video referees’ call to award Canterbury winger Corey Thompson a vital try in the 68th minute.
The four-pointer was referred upstairs because of suspicion Bulldogs decoy Josh Jackson had impeded Souths skipper John Sutton. Replays appeared damning, with Sam Perrett receiving the ball on Jackson’s inside shoulder before passing to Thompson.

[h=3]South Sydney Rabbitohs press conference5:05[/h]

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire laments his side's late slip as they suffered a one-point defeat at the hands of the Bulldogs.

After being tangled with Jackson, Sutton made a desperate attempt to stop the rookie flanker but could not arrive in time.
“That try, I’m not sure how they’re interpreting the obstruction rule,” Maguire said.
“I don’t usually say anything about the referees, but if John Sutton doesn’t get impeded he probably stops it.”
While opposite coach Des Hasler lauded the decision for its “common sense” Maguire will most likely seek an explanation from the NRL ahead of Friday night’s trip to Brisbane.

South Sydney's Greg Inglis tackles Bulldogs Trent Hodkinson. Source: News Corp Australia

How many fit bodies Maguire will have it his disposal will be the big question, with up to half a dozen Rabbitohs set to face a fitness battle.
While George Burgess and Ben Te’o will return from suspension, there are sure to be doubts over Joe Picker (ribs), Kyle Turner (concussion), Apisai Koroisau (shoulder) and David Tyrell (concussion), all of whom were forced-off before halftime.
Koroisau didn’t return, while Picker was needed a painkilling injection to make it back.

James Graham runs the ball for the Bulldogs Source: News Corp Australia

Star duo Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis could also face a week of re-hab. Burgess appeared to twinge his hamstring while trying to stop Thompson from scoring, while Inglis went down midway through the second half with a lower back complaint. Both players had significantly less impact afterwards.
“It was a real game effort, we got beaten up there,” Maguire said. “There was a lot going on the sideline.
“It’s disappointing when you have commitment like that and don’t get the result.”
Souths had a golden chance to seal the game with an entire set on Canterbury’s line inside the final four minutes. But instead of attempting an early drop goal, Sutton and Burgess both went for the tryline. On the fifth play halfback Adam Reynolds was out of position, leaving winger Nathan Merritt as the unlikely go-to man.
Merritt’s shot went wide, giving Canterbury a seven tackle set that ended with Trent Hodkinson winning the match.
“We could have controlled that better,” Maguire said. “We practice for moments like that but we couldn’t take it. We’ll learn plenty from that.”

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone agrees the first no try was the wrong call. Opposition fans, commentators etc. and most reckon the one they gave was wrong, so either way we deserved at least one.

If they had of given the first like they should've, I believe we actually win a lot easier. We dominated early with field position and got the ball back thrice from bombs, one for the no try. If it was ruled correctly we probably would t have been headed.

I also reckon Sutton was fouled technically because our player ran into him, however Sutton got across to the wing in time to tackle Thommo, but like the other Souths derps, he was evaded (credit to Thommo his step was glorious). I think the ref must have seen it the same way.

Like I said, we deserved one at least so the result was fair.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still can't believe the first try was a no try. At the stadium, no one could understand what was going on. I then go home to hear the video ref's explanation... simply that Morris ran behind his own player. There's no such thing as the shepherd rule anymore. They're lucky it was at the start of the game and didn't cost us the win.

The last try surprised me to be honest. I still thīnk it was a try, but after their first decision I was expecting a no try.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still can't believe the first try was a no try. At the stadium, no one could understand what was going on. I then go home to hear the video ref's explanation... simply that Morris ran behind his own player. There's no such thing as the shepherd rule anymore. They're lucky it was at the start of the game and didn't cost us the win.

The last try surprised me to be honest. I still thīnk it was a try, but after their first decision I was expecting a no try.

S

Shermy

The rule states you cannot take advantage by running behind your own - advantage is a pass or kick which Morris threw a 30m cutout. Technically correct, in reality a silly call.

AndrewRyan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sutton ran passed Thompson in the end. Can't have been too impeded if he can over run it.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He should question why in the last 12 minutes when his side was in field goal position, they opted for 3 plays out on their left leaving Reynolds in a pretty different position to have a crack. There were a few questionable calls in the game but it was for the most of it an arm wrestle between the 2 best defense teams in the comp.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I didn't even know there was people calling that last try as a no try until I just opened up the forum. Usually I would notice something wrong in a play straight away and I have no idea what this idiot is going on about. Sutton is a known diver, helps the lazy pr*ck not do his job properly. For me and if I was Maguire I would shut up, looks stupid getting a blatant favourable call on that first try then whinge later on when your not given another wrong call. Thompson stepped back inside all the defence so they had a chance to tackle him.

bleedblue&white

go the berries
Reaction score
The rule states you cannot take advantage by running behind your own - advantage is a pass or kick which Morris threw a 30m cutout. Technically correct, in reality a silly call.
NO it doesn't!!!
check the rule book!!!
-OBSTRUCTION is the illegal act of impeding an opponent who does not have the ball. That's it and that's all. all the other shit you hear is just commentator bullshit

bleedblue&white

go the berries
Reaction score
NO it doesn't!!!
check the rule book!!!
-OBSTRUCTION is the illegal act of impeding an opponent who does not have the ball. That's it and that's all. all the other shit you hear is just commentator bullshit

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sutton made it to Thompson he was just to slow to tackle him

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NO it doesn't!!!
check the rule book!!!
Exactly. The shepherd rule no longer exists.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He can't be serious after a refereeing performance like that and they still lost? Sutton wasn't impeded, he had his chance to make the tackle but he didn't do anything and just got lazy to try and sell the obstruction. Maguire said Sutton would of stopped the try well he didn't and he had the moment too but still didn't do it.

He is finding excuses for the loss because he knows his team should of won with much of the stats going their way lol...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I didn't even know there was people calling that last try as a no try until I just opened up the forum. Usually I would notice something wrong in a play straight away and I have no idea what this idiot is going on about. Sutton is a known diver, helps the lazy pr*ck not do his job properly. For me and if I was Maguire I would shut up, looks stupid getting a blatant favourable call on that first try then whinge later on when your not given another wrong call. Thompson stepped back inside all the defence so they had a chance to tackle him.

Malla

Reaction score
It's a try because Perrett caught the ball outside the line of where Sutton got hit so it can't be deemed as an obstruction

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Madge can question the depth of my foot in his ass, **** off dickhead.

Not our fault your team is full of marshmallow bunnies who can't make it through a full game, led around by a 'prodigy' halfback who goes missing when it counts.

Pride of the housing commission.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Raysie how do you think the Cowboys feel today? They were cheated big time! As far as I am concerned there was nothing wrong with our first try or our last. Watching last nights highlights Perrett could have stopped Sam from scoring and Reynolds could have easily stopped Sutton from scoring, but it wasn't meant to be. All in all a good win by our boys.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor Michael McDonalds. He's full of fast food tactics that won't win you semi finals.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Awww it seems all it took was a year in England to convert him into a whinging pom.

If you want to look at something, look at why your side was:
a) constantly offside the entire game.
b) wanting to work the knee/elbow players in the face.

If it makes him feel any better I've got a 4c per L coupon off fuel I can mail him to share amongst the fanbase.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Raysie how do you think the Cowboys feel today? They were cheated big time! As far as I am concerned there was nothing wrong with our first try or our last. Watching last nights highlights Perrett could have stopped Sam from scoring and Reynolds could have easily stopped Sutton from scoring, but it wasn't meant to be. All in all a good win by our boys.
I hadn't realised the Sea Eagles had won the game with a clear obstruction play until after I'd posted. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.