Official Members Q&A

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actros in another thread claiming thommo on way out due to salary cap....they will burn down belmore if true and ask for goulds head
Thommo continues to improve but like Hetherington he has issues with defence - personally i think Thommo has the attacking skills and atitude to thrive with better players around him

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty brazen move
taking credit for something that happened beforeyou start your first day at a new role lol
Fuck up
What have you got in your coffee Cappuccino ? :grinning:
I've always said Lewis is not a 1/2 or 5/8 not an organizer but has the heart of a Lion.
I wish the rest of the team had the same...We wouldn't be in this predicament !
We all know how well The Skinny Prince tackles...Just ask Sam Burgess :grinning:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When Gus took over Penny they were in far better shape than this shit show

He then cleaned house there

What do you think he’s going to do here?

He’s going to go at this with a flame thrower

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When Gus took over Penny they were in far better shape than this shit show

He then cleaned house there

What do you think he’s going to do here?

He’s going to go at this with a flame thrower
I'm hoping he cuts Featherington :hearteyes:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I take from Gus' interview is that we need to focus on:

Stability

Development

Trust

That means recruiting talent from within our own junior development; allowing them to stay together so we get the stability within the team, where everyone knows what their role is, and how their team mates will act in defence and attack. That builds confidence on the field, and cuts down errors.
It also means keeping the coaching role stable - not changing coaches every year.

Then, they need the trust from the club that they will be looked after, and develop the best of their potential.

This formula can be seen working with the players from the Panthers, who have played together from park football, right through. They have an instinctual approach to how they play, because they know each other well. Compare that to the Dogs, where we don't know who is next week's halfback.

What Gus is proposing is a long term solution, so don't expect miracles in 2022, where he has had no say over current recruitment and salary cap.
We may have to accept that it will be a long road, but one that shows improvement beginning next season.

Five wins out of forty games is a low bar to start from.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bit simple to say it is because thee players played together so they will be effective - it is all about player ability, work ethic and attitude. Of course two or three players who are talented and have played together through the grades are more likely to be successful - but it is because of their ability - natural n developed - not that they were in sgball etc together

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get this Penrith blue print. They haven’t won anything and they are literally the only team to be afforded the luxury of playing together their whole life. I’d rather take the Melbourne, Souths and Roosters approach. Good coaching, big signings in key positions and developing here and there. Seems a lot quicker and easier.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t get this Penrith blue print. They haven’t won anything and they are literally the only team to be afforded the luxury of playing together their whole life. I’d rather take the Melbourne, Souths and Roosters approach. Good coaching, big signings in key positions and developing here and there. Seems a lot quicker and easier.
i agree - Gould will be a positive BUT it still comes down to the players n coaching. I also dont agree with 5 year plans

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thommo continues to improve but like Hetherington he has issues with defence - personally i think Thommo has the attacking skills and atitude to thrive with better players around him
I like Thommo and his charges into the line but when you take a close look at him defensively, he really is quite ineffective.

He is not one to really drive his shoulder into an opponent and stop them in their tracks, he is more of a grabber and really struggles to get the opposition to ground.

If Thommo is on the alleged big $$ thrown around in here then Gus could well be looking at his value for money and he might be one of the players throwing our salary cap out of whack

For me, I hope he can work on toughening up his defence because I love the aggresiveness in his runs and he is our only go forward guy, but does his salary cap $$ provide the greatest value in that position?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like Thommo and his charges into the line but when you take a close look at him defensively, he really is quite ineffective.

He is not one to really drive his shoulder into an opponent and stop them in their tracks, he is more of a grabber and really struggles to get the opposition to ground.

If Thommo is on the alleged big $$ thrown around in here then Gus could well be looking at his value for money and he might be one of the players throwing our salary cap out of whack

For me, I hope he can work on toughening up his defence because I love the aggresiveness in his runs and he is our only go forward guy, but does his salary cap $$ provide the greatest value in that position?
I was a little more diplomatic but i agree with you - in defence of his defence - the individual members of the team seem to lack trust in the defence around them so they dont commit fully to the tackle, also the better player thommo n Jackson are being left on the field far too long resulting in extreme fatigues n defensive errors n weakness

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was a little more diplomatic but i agree with you - in defence of his defence - the individual members of the team seem to lack trust in the defence around them so they dont commit fully to the tackle, also the better player thommo n Jackson are being left on the field far too long resulting in extreme fatigues n defensive errors n weakness
Yeah that could be it, there seems to be a distinct lack of committment and intensity in our defence as a whole. Every opposition team makes easy metres through our ruck every game.

I just wish Thommo had the same aggresiveness and effectiveness in his defence as he has in his charging runs. If he could occasionally intimidate with his defence I think he would definitely be in the top batch of props in the NRL and be value for money

Hopefully we change our defensive coaching/structure and he becomes a better defender

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

He's a great player and we haven't had the team, or gameplan, to use him right. He wants FR I believe but he is more suited to lock or edge in NRL...or if Vaughan can turn into our Walmsley who he used to run off.

At present he is not playing at $750k standard IMO and is not our new Jimmy Graham in defence.

But he def has the ability if we can structure around his strengths.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's a great player and we haven't had the team, or gameplan, to use him right. He wants FR I believe but he is more suited to lock or edge in NRL...or if Vaughan can turn into our Walmsley who he used to run off.

At present he is not playing at $750k standard IMO and is not our new Jimmy Graham in defence.

But he def has the ability if we can structure around his strengths.
Thompson will never be as good as James Graham defensively or as a leader but the potential is there to be more of an attacking threat.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
My prediction - I reckon there's no way Elliott, Jackson and Waddell all see out the remainder of their contracts. One (maybe 2) will be shipped before the end of next season.
Jackson may retire.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah that could be it, there seems to be a distinct lack of committment and intensity in our defence as a whole. Every opposition team makes easy metres through our ruck every game.

I just wish Thommo had the same aggresiveness and effectiveness in his defence as he has in his charging runs. If he could occasionally intimidate with his defence I think he would definitely be in the top batch of props in the NRL and be value for money

Hopefully we change our defensive coaching/structure and he becomes a better defender
Our defence reminds me of other teams in the bottom eight; and the common thread is lack of possession. Our own errors and infringements result in the opposition usually having a 70% share of the ball in the first half, while we defend ourselves to a standstill. By the second half they are fresh and charging into us hard, and we are tiring and making more errors. It's not just the Dogs it is happening to.

When we get a better than even share of the ball, our defence is much better.

Watching the three games just played, I saw incidents let go that would have guaranteed one of our players seeing time in the bin - and we seem to have someone binned almost every game. Losing a player for ten minutes really buggers the defence for the rest of the game, as everyone has to lift, then has nothing left to give.