Matty Johns: The must-have recruit who could spark Bulldogs attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Matthew Johns is an idiot. I've seen potatoes which offered better insights into the game. I'd much rather see how Mbye goes at the back than chase RTS. I think Mbye could be very good there...and he's a more creative player with ball-playing ability.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
why not try and get barba for cheap this year put him at fb and put mbye at 6

silva

Utility
Reaction score
hes got a point we are still missing one quality half..frawleys terrible

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only thing with I’m worried about with Mbye playing fullback, and this is very important, is will he be willing to put his body on the line in certain situations!
I’ve seen him put his body in front of some big fellas by himself when defending in the line

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still cannot understand why ppl call Matty Johns a RL legend, what has he done!? Also cannot believe ppl hire him and write what he believes as this dude does not know squat!!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait until what happens first, sick of experts advising the Bulldogs what is best for the Bulldogs, Mbye is pretty quick over the quarter mile and will be working on diffusing the high ball like Barba had to, black men can jump.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Still cannot understand why ppl call Matty Johns a RL legend, what has he done!? Also cannot believe ppl hire him and write what he believes as this dude does not know squat!!!
So a premiership winning, international, SOO player and host of a footy show who is a halves coach for a number of NRL sides doesn't know squat......mmm interesting. Pretty sure he knows a bit about the game and as he is paid to say stuff sometimes we are not going to like it. Sometimes we are.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article lost me at putting mbye back in the halves! Matty Johns is a clown

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
why not try and get barba for cheap this year put him at fb and put mbye at 6
Because Mbye doesn't have a kicking game and could be sensational at the back, while Barba has an attitude problem, has burned our club before.....got second and third chances and screwed them up as well and is past his best. Why would the club even consider going for Barba. I'm sure it hasn't....and shouldn't

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Because Mbye doesn't have a kicking game and could be sensational at the back, while Barba has an attitude problem, has burned our club before.....got second and third chances and screwed them up as well and is past his best. Why would the club even consider going for Barba. I'm sure it hasn't....and shouldn't
Mbye had some pretty awesome games at 6..with Foran there he could be anything. End of the day with Barba at 1 and Mbye at 6, we are a much bigger title threat then Mbye at 1 and Frawley at 6

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Mbye had some pretty awesome games at 6..with Foran there he could be anything. End of the day with Barba at 1 and Mbye at 6, we are a much bigger title threat then Mbye at 1 and Frawley at 6
.....unless Barba derails our entire team again as he did in 2013. Still a big no from me. Too much of a liability/ risk IMO.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I think he is the only one that calls himself a legend lol

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Mbye could be a complete dud at FB, but can't be worse than what hes shown in the halves... what a handful of great games, the rest he has been missing

have to try something else, and we have all called for him to get a crack there

if it doesnt work, maybe Matty is right and we go all out for RTS (i personally would if Mbye fails)

but i hear he is off to Union regardless

we should of got Tedesco but someone stuffed that

silva

Utility
Reaction score
.....unless Barba derails our entire team again as he did in 2013. Still a big no from me. Too much of a liability/ risk IMO.
I don't like him..but if we could get him for cheap on a 1 year deal then why not

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don't like him..but if we could get him for cheap on a 1 year deal then why not
Because I think we're on the verge of something without him....and he could easily derail that, mess up team harmony and make things worse for us as he did in 2013. The club is on the way to being successful without him. I just think the risks would outweigh any potential benefits.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Johns is a dribbler who thinks a 46 year old man can get away with wearing a flat brimmed cap.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
MATTHEW Johns has urged Canterbury to go hard at recruiting off-contract Warriors star Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to reignite the attacking flame that was doused by Des Hasler.

With a new board and a new coaching staff, a new era is dawning at the Bulldogs in 2018.

But it remains to be seen whether the off-field changes translate to on-field performance, which has been lacklustre for the best part of 18 months and ultimately cost Hasler his job.

Much of their woes have come with ball in hand.

With that in mind, rookie coach Dean Pay has shifted Moses Mbye to fullback and he will form a new-look spine alongside recruit Kieran Foran.

But that’s just a short-term fix, according to Johns, who sees Tuivasa-Sheck as the sparkplug the Bulldogs need to challenge for a premiership once again.

Watch every NRL premiership game live in 2018 on Fox Sports. Sign up here to stream for free on a two week trial >

“They’ve got to be in the business of bringing in some creative players. I’d look at Roger Tuivasa-Sheck,” Johns told Triple M’s The Grill Team.

“They need that sort of player, the Bulldogs. Roger would be someone that would give them an enormous lift.”

Tuivasa-Sheck is off contract this year and one of the hottest properties in the game.

He’s being pursued by New Zealand rugby, while a number of NRL rivals, headlined by the Wests Tigers, are also interested in luring the fullback away from the Warriors.

‘GOOD THING’: Sheck’s bizarre take on contract speculation

DOG GONE: Bulldogs board ousted in landslide election

A move to Belmore would allow Mbye to jump back into the halves or even hooker, drastically strengthening the spine and adding a dimension to the team’s attack.

But Pay has got to make the most of what he’s got right now.

Johns believes Mbye can be a success in the No.1 jersey if he’s allowed to play to his strengths.

David Klemmer of the Bulldogs looks dejected after a loss.
“He’s a really good player Moses and I think if Kieran Foran plays good and leads the side around the park then that will allow Moses to do what he does best and that’s just run the football,” Johns said.

“Play simple, run the football, do what you do well. Watching Moses sometimes last year when he was forced to wear that No.7 jersey and push the side around the park, it just didn’t work for him.

“He looks his best when he gets the ball in his hands and just runs.”

The Bulldogs missed finals last year to end a horror season under Hasler.

And despite the new coach and handful of roster changes, Johns can’t see the club climbing back into the top eight in 2018.

“If Dean Pay can get them into the finals he has done a remarkable job,” he said.

“They’re a club that I think will arrest the slide but not enough to make the finals this year. I don’t see them as a finals team.”
We not only need Roger, we also NEED Matty Johns, the guy has a very good eye

Status
Not open for further replies.