Matty Johns: The must-have recruit who could spark Bulldogs attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogboom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
MATTHEW Johns has urged Canterbury to go hard at recruiting off-contract Warriors star Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to reignite the attacking flame that was doused by Des Hasler.

With a new board and a new coaching staff, a new era is dawning at the Bulldogs in 2018.

But it remains to be seen whether the off-field changes translate to on-field performance, which has been lacklustre for the best part of 18 months and ultimately cost Hasler his job.

Much of their woes have come with ball in hand.

With that in mind, rookie coach Dean Pay has shifted Moses Mbye to fullback and he will form a new-look spine alongside recruit Kieran Foran.

But that’s just a short-term fix, according to Johns, who sees Tuivasa-Sheck as the sparkplug the Bulldogs need to challenge for a premiership once again.

Watch every NRL premiership game live in 2018 on Fox Sports. Sign up here to stream for free on a two week trial >

“They’ve got to be in the business of bringing in some creative players. I’d look at Roger Tuivasa-Sheck,” Johns told Triple M’s The Grill Team.

“They need that sort of player, the Bulldogs. Roger would be someone that would give them an enormous lift.”

Tuivasa-Sheck is off contract this year and one of the hottest properties in the game.

He’s being pursued by New Zealand rugby, while a number of NRL rivals, headlined by the Wests Tigers, are also interested in luring the fullback away from the Warriors.

‘GOOD THING’: Sheck’s bizarre take on contract speculation

DOG GONE: Bulldogs board ousted in landslide election

A move to Belmore would allow Mbye to jump back into the halves or even hooker, drastically strengthening the spine and adding a dimension to the team’s attack.

But Pay has got to make the most of what he’s got right now.

Johns believes Mbye can be a success in the No.1 jersey if he’s allowed to play to his strengths.

David Klemmer of the Bulldogs looks dejected after a loss.
“He’s a really good player Moses and I think if Kieran Foran plays good and leads the side around the park then that will allow Moses to do what he does best and that’s just run the football,” Johns said.

“Play simple, run the football, do what you do well. Watching Moses sometimes last year when he was forced to wear that No.7 jersey and push the side around the park, it just didn’t work for him.

“He looks his best when he gets the ball in his hands and just runs.”

The Bulldogs missed finals last year to end a horror season under Hasler.

And despite the new coach and handful of roster changes, Johns can’t see the club climbing back into the top eight in 2018.

“If Dean Pay can get them into the finals he has done a remarkable job,” he said.

“They’re a club that I think will arrest the slide but not enough to make the finals this year. I don’t see them as a finals team.”

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This gives me confidence, knowing if Mbye puts in, he could be better than RTS (I know it’s a big call), Mbye has massive potential, and if it works out with him at fullback, I can’t see why we can’t give the comp a shake this year! This could be the year of the dog!!! Go DOGGIES!!!

Last edited:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is a fair point in that IF Mbye does fail at fullback (I think he should go well - but noone can be certain) then we must make a big play gor RTS..

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing with I’m worried about with Mbye playing fullback, and this is very important, is will he be willing to put his body on the line in certain situations!

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If M'bye fails at fullback and we went after RTS for next season, I'd say that for 2019 M'bye would be likely to get shoved into the centres until his contract is up. With the Morris boys gone, it will be somewhere that we can stash him until his massive contract finishes.

Anyway, speculation based on nothing. I don't expect we would make a big play for RTS... we have gotta hope that M'bye pans out.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The only thing with I’m worried about with Mbye playing fullback, and this is very important, is will he be willing to put his body on the line in certain situations!
If that's your concern then you have nothing to worry about. The kid has plenty of ticker. He might be a bit rough positionally early on but he will blitz the FB job. So much so that we won't even consider TVS as an option.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that's your concern then you have nothing to worry about. The kid has plenty of ticker. He might be a bit rough positionally early on but he will blitz the FB job. So much so that we won't even consider TVS as an option.
I hope so OD!! Looking forward to watching him play in that position, we could be on to something special!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If M'bye fails at fullback and we went after RTS for next season, I'd say that for 2019 M'bye would be likely to get shoved into the centres until his contract is up. With the Morris boys gone, it will be somewhere that we can stash him until his massive contract finishes.

Anyway, speculation based on nothing. I don't expect we would make a big play for RTS... we have gotta hope that M'bye pans out.
Read the third last line where Johns says if we get RTS we can move Mbye back to the halves, REALLY Mathew haven't you seen Mbye play in the halves before.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree with Mbye to replace Morris in centres.

I’d be going all out for rts right now regardless.

If we sit and wait and Mbye flops then what?

If he kills it we have a good headache and at worst rts eats Eastwood’s contract lol

berriesfan

Waterboy
Reaction score
This really is rubbish journalism. ..." I’d look at Roger Tuivasa-Sheck,”

“They need that sort of player, the Bulldogs. Roger would be someone that would give them an enormous lift.”

How is that urging the Bulldogs? Having a average opinion is not urging anyone.

Everything Johns says has an ulterior motive. I have never heard him try to help the Bulldogs in anyway. He is probably trying to get them to put Mybe back in the halves, maybe it has something to do with Cogger.
I have only seen Johns interest with the Knights and whomever sucks his cock.

It's so hard to find new, real and information on the Canterbury these days as there is so much sifting through all the crap. Thank god for the Kennel

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I have always said fullback looks to be Mbye’s best position. I think knowing his career is on the line and finally just getting to play what’s in front of him, I’m sure he’ll shine and make fools of a few people. Good luck to him.

Reactions: DT

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’ve got to be in the business of bringing in some creative players. I’d look at Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Is RTS even considered a creative Fullback? I thought he was more about power and speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.