Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know if we are now working on getting him here for 21, assume that's the plan
After thinking about what we heard last night from both Club's CEO's I believe the answer is yes, we are keen to get him here for 21.

However, Panthers CEO Fletcher is expecting us to offer something heavily in favour of Penrith to get the deal done.
Whilst on our side, Hill said that if Penrith would entertain Burton's early arrival then the Bulldogs are all ears in terms of listening to what they have to say.

I'd say that originally Burton's management tried for an early release themselves but were knocked back which caused the delay in our announcement. It's now up to us to give something in return which wasn't our preference.

The one thing we do know is that Penrith are under Salary cap pressure and are looking for some relief.

Therefore, I believe rather than just give them coin as a transfer fee, it would be more favourable to Penrith if we took one of their contracted players whom they don't want off their books.

Obviously as stated by Penrith, Josh Mansour is not wanted. And I find it a little strange that he still hasn't committed to the Tigers as it was a said done deal. Perhaps he's holding out to come to us??? I don't know, & I don't know if he is a preference for us.

Other possibilities may include Whare & maybe Naden, but it would have to be somone on decent coin who's not in their long term plans.

It's hard to imagine that TBaz will take a player he doesn't want but I'm sure it will be sorted out before Christmas & Burton will be with us soon.

Here's hoping anyway.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They probably want cap relief...so ideally they'd want us to take a Whare or Mansour off their hands.
I don’t think it would be worth taking either. I’d say Mansour’s going to the tigers and Whare isn’t anything great anymore plus both are on huge money for their abilities now. Rather wait a year if that’s the case

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
if the panthers need a back up half why not take benji
I've heard a few Panthers fans throw that option up but I'm sure Benji wants to play week in and out.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it would be worth taking either. I’d say Mansour’s going to the tigers and Whare isn’t anything great anymore plus both are on huge money for their abilities now. Rather wait a year if that’s the case
I'm in two minds about it I'm not keen on Mansour or Whare but it would be a massive investment in the future having Burton and Flange getting a extra year together under their belts.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in two minds about it I'm not keen on Mansour or Whare but it would be a massive investment in the future having Burton and Flange getting a extra year together under their belts.
Yeah it’s hard but I would hate to do that and lose a roster spot for someone who might become available that would be perfect for our team. Or promote doorey instead to hopefully keep him. He deserves to be there

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After thinking about what we heard last night from both Club's CEO's I believe the answer is yes, we are keen to get him here for 21.

However, Panthers CEO Fletcher is expecting us to offer something heavily in favour of Penrith to get the deal done.
Whilst on our side, Hill said that if Penrith would entertain Burton's early arrival then the Bulldogs are all ears in terms of listening to what they have to say.

I'd say that originally Burton's management tried for an early release themselves but were knocked back which caused the delay in our announcement. It's now up to us to give something in return which wasn't our preference.

The one thing we do know is that Penrith are under Salary cap pressure and are looking for some relief.

Therefore, I believe rather than just give them coin as a transfer fee, it would be more favourable to Penrith if we took one of their contracted players whom they don't want off their books.

Obviously as stated by Penrith, Josh Mansour is not wanted. And I find it a little strange that he still hasn't committed to the Tigers as it was a said done deal. Perhaps he's holding out to come to us??? I don't know, & I don't know if he is a preference for us.

Other possibilities may include Whare & maybe Naden, but it would have to be somone on decent coin who's not in their long term plans.

It's hard to imagine that TBaz will take a player he doesn't want but I'm sure it will be sorted out before Christmas & Burton will be with us soon.

Here's hoping anyway.
Mansour wants 3 years and Tigers offering 2 apparently is why it's taking time to do a deal.

Panthers have shopped Whare around with no takers so if Dogs offered that you'd be a very good chance to get what you want with Burton. So a little pain for a gain.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Mansour wants 3 years and Tigers offering 2 apparently is why it's taking time to do a deal.

Panthers have shopped Whare around with no takers so if Dogs offered that you'd be a very good chance to get what you want with Burton. So a little pain for a gain.
Isn't Whare on like 400k?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. All depends on the finances I guess.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If so, and if its only for 2021, get Panthers to fork out 200k if it means we get Burton for 2021.

Upside of Whare is that he is excellent in defence but offers SFA in attack. We could deal with him for a year
I think so too, not like we haven’t had worse in the centre’s over recent years and still doesn’t sound like we are at capacity yet in terms of cap space. And still leaves a squad spot open to secure some one else before June 30.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s hard but I would hate to do that and lose a roster spot for someone who might become available that would be perfect for our team. Or promote doorey instead to hopefully keep him. He deserves to be there
I'd be tempted to do it even if we waste a roster spot I just think there is much more upside in having Burton here for 2021.

Doorey is good player don't get me wrong but if it was a choice between him being in the top 30 and wasting a roster spot on Whare to get Burton then I'm wasting the spot on the Whare.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Isn't Whare on like 400k?
Something like that. It's not ideal but our CEO said "heavily in our favour" so it'll have to be something dogs probably aren't overly keen on but can stomach if it gets them Burton 12 months early.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘Away they go’: Panthers fuming at unfair reality of their own success
NRL PREMIERSHIP

• November 26, 2020 10:56am
  • by ANDREW JACKSON
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Matt Burton is joining Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
Matt Burton is joining Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)Source: AAP
It is no secret that the foundation of Penrith’s premiership charge has been built off a nursery of local talent.
Along with the Brisbane Broncos, the Panthers are responsible for producing the most current NRL players in the competition.
Built not bought is the mantra used by the club, featuring prominently in a video where Penrith reflected on the path to the 2020 finals series and the potential premiership beyond.

Matt Burton is off to the Bulldogs. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
Matt Burton is off to the Bulldogs. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
That of course did not eventuate but it is still worth noting of the 17 who ran out onto ANZ Stadium, 13 made their NRL debuts at the foot of the mountains.
Five played in the 2015 premiership-winning NYC side.
But as was also highlighted in that video through vision of Braidon Burns among others running around in a Souths jersey is the fact that Penrith can’t keep them all.
Matt Burton is the latest to leave and the Panthers are frustrated - they want something in return.

For the hours spent developing players not only from Western Sydney but all the way up the Great Western Highway to Dubbo, where Burton played for the Western Rams and Dubbo CYMS.

Knights nab Clifford

Knights nab Clifford
0:31

“You get no compensation for it,” Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher told Channel Nine.
“Other clubs just come and make a big offer for them and away they go. All the hard work has been done by the coaching staff at the Panthers.
“I think you should (get compensation). I think if somehow along the line, if he’s paid X amount of dollars to go there, part of that to the first year should go back to the club that developed him.”
The Panthers and Broncos both have the advantages of a wide geographic nursery to draw upon, complicating any attempt to compensate clubs for internal development.
In saying that, Burton is the perfect example of Penrith’s committment to develop players from the central west of NSW, having established that corridor themselves.
TRANSFER WHISPERS: Foxx spotted in Belmore, Widdop offered up to QLD club
TRANSFER CENTRE: Barrett lands another star as Bulldogs confirm fifth signing

Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)
Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)Source: AAP
One potential proposal has been per cent discounts on the salary cap awarded to clubs depending on how many players have come through the Harold Matthews Cup, SG Ball and under-20s.
The Panthers face a serious fight to keep all of their local talent with a host of big names off contract at the end of next year.
Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo have already been offered new deals while the future of Stephen Crichton also remains up in the air.
What Penrith are adamant on is keeping Burton for this upcoming season along with soon-to-be Tiger Daine Laurie.
MORE NRL NEWS
RESOLUTION: Suaalii stand-off finally over with Bunnies to release gun teen to rival
DONE DEAL: Panthers lose another star as young gun playmaker joins Dogs

Daine Laurie is another Panther who got away. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
Daine Laurie is another Panther who got away. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Fletcher told Nine News that would only change for one specific reason and Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill is not shying away.
“An exception would only be made if a compromise highly in favour of Panthers was agreed to between the two clubs,” Fletcher said.
“But at this stage he will be playing with the Panthers next year, and he understands that.”
An agreement is something Hill is willing to entertain.
“If Penrith wanted to come to us we would certainly be all ears,” he added.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
‘Away they go’: Panthers fuming at unfair reality of their own success
NRL PREMIERSHIP

• November 26, 2020 10:56am
  • by ANDREW JACKSON
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Matt Burton is joining Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
Matt Burton is joining Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)Source: AAP
It is no secret that the foundation of Penrith’s premiership charge has been built off a nursery of local talent.
Along with the Brisbane Broncos, the Panthers are responsible for producing the most current NRL players in the competition.
Built not bought is the mantra used by the club, featuring prominently in a video where Penrith reflected on the path to the 2020 finals series and the potential premiership beyond.

Matt Burton is off to the Bulldogs. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
Matt Burton is off to the Bulldogs. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
That of course did not eventuate but it is still worth noting of the 17 who ran out onto ANZ Stadium, 13 made their NRL debuts at the foot of the mountains.
Five played in the 2015 premiership-winning NYC side.
But as was also highlighted in that video through vision of Braidon Burns among others running around in a Souths jersey is the fact that Penrith can’t keep them all.
Matt Burton is the latest to leave and the Panthers are frustrated - they want something in return.

For the hours spent developing players not only from Western Sydney but all the way up the Great Western Highway to Dubbo, where Burton played for the Western Rams and Dubbo CYMS.

Knights nab Clifford

Knights nab Clifford
0:31

“You get no compensation for it,” Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher told Channel Nine.
“Other clubs just come and make a big offer for them and away they go. All the hard work has been done by the coaching staff at the Panthers.
“I think you should (get compensation). I think if somehow along the line, if he’s paid X amount of dollars to go there, part of that to the first year should go back to the club that developed him.”
The Panthers and Broncos both have the advantages of a wide geographic nursery to draw upon, complicating any attempt to compensate clubs for internal development.
In saying that, Burton is the perfect example of Penrith’s committment to develop players from the central west of NSW, having established that corridor themselves.
TRANSFER WHISPERS: Foxx spotted in Belmore, Widdop offered up to QLD club
TRANSFER CENTRE: Barrett lands another star as Bulldogs confirm fifth signing

Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)
Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)Source: AAP
One potential proposal has been per cent discounts on the salary cap awarded to clubs depending on how many players have come through the Harold Matthews Cup, SG Ball and under-20s.
The Panthers face a serious fight to keep all of their local talent with a host of big names off contract at the end of next year.
Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo have already been offered new deals while the future of Stephen Crichton also remains up in the air.
What Penrith are adamant on is keeping Burton for this upcoming season along with soon-to-be Tiger Daine Laurie.
MORE NRL NEWS
RESOLUTION: Suaalii stand-off finally over with Bunnies to release gun teen to rival
DONE DEAL: Panthers lose another star as young gun playmaker joins Dogs

Daine Laurie is another Panther who got away. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
Daine Laurie is another Panther who got away. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Fletcher told Nine News that would only change for one specific reason and Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill is not shying away.
“An exception would only be made if a compromise highly in favour of Panthers was agreed to between the two clubs,” Fletcher said.
“But at this stage he will be playing with the Panthers next year, and he understands that.”
An agreement is something Hill is willing to entertain.
“If Penrith wanted to come to us we would certainly be all ears,” he added.
Panthers are carrying on like they're the only team that loses juniors to other teams. Every team goes through it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Happens to every club. Stop the fkn whinging and move on. We want a better competition let the best players play not hold em back.
Yeah it’s way over to top they are whinging about not being able to stockpile talent. They couldn’t offer the kid the money or playing time in his preferred position so what do they expect?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it’s way over to top they are whinging about not being able to stockpile talent. They couldn’t offer the kid the money or playing time in his preferred position so what do they expect?
I liken this to us losing JT, it has the same feeling only that this time we are the beneficiaries. Burton is special, no doubt about it :grinning: He is a down to earth kid with a HUGE upside talent wise.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Happens to every club. Stop the fkn whinging and move on. We want a better competition let the best players play not hold em back.
Exactly right. U could even say Knights poached Klemmer off us. At time he was Australian prop. Parra raped our stars years ago, this shit happens to everyone. Roosters stole our players too after our GF win in 04.