Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Lukejms15

Waterboy
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have continued to add the right pieces to their squad for the future with the signing of talented Penrith half, Matt Burton, for three seasons with the 20 year-old arriving at Belmore in 2022.

Burton has been in much demand as one of the best young talents in the NRL and made a spectacular rise through the ranks in 2019, after starting in the Panthers Jersey Flegg squad before moving through the Canterbury Cup into an NRL debut against the Sharks. That season Burton also represented New South Wales at U20 State of Origin level and scored two tries in an outstanding individual performance.

Burton continued his development in 2020, making five NRL appearances for a Panthers side that made the Grand Final.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill was delighted to have added someone of Burton's ability and potential to the squad for 2022:

"Having someone of Matt's ability want to be part of what we are building here at Belmore is exciting for everyone involved at the club and all our Members and fans.

Matt is a great talent and someone that was highly sought after, so we are delighted that he has chosen to join our club and be part of what we believe to be a new beginning for the Bulldogs.

With a new coaching staff that is working extremely hard with our players this pre-season and the addition of several new faces we believe that Matt's signing for 2022 is another massive step forward for this club."

Last edited by a moderator:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If Hooper can be believed (and that’s a BIG if), that’s $400k/year which is probably ‘around’ (to use the Chrome Dome’s words) the same as The Flange when you consider what the Chooks are allegedly chipping in for the first year. So that’s about right - no major disparity. Hell of a pay rise for young Burton - now for the Pennies to release him given they can unlikely compete. The question is, if that’s the offer for 2022, and he does get a release for 2021, I bet his salary for 2021 is a lot less - and that’s how they fit him under the cap, pay him fairly whilst he’s being blooded into the top grade and increase his value for 2022.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What it really comes down to is will Penrith offer a two year contract extension worth close to our offer. Or even can they? Sure there is the enticement of playing more first grade sooner, but if he has loyalty to Penriff it will really be whether or not they can match our offer for 2022-23 that decides it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's not official if it's being reported by Hooper or anyone else. I'll wait til an official announcement. The most important thing is signing him. I'm more worried about that then the length or value of the contract.

Lukejms15

Waterboy
Reaction score
What it really comes down to is will Penrith offer a two year contract extension worth close to our offer. Or even can they? Sure there is the enticement of playing more first grade sooner, but if he has loyalty to Penriff it will really be whether or not they can match our offer for 2022-23 that decides it.
They are looking to get rid of Josh Mansour’s 500k contract, that’s for Staines development though I’m guessing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I believe it's pretty certain he's coming, just a matter of when. Penrith may be more willing to let him go now if we're willing to take Mansour off their hands and pay the bulk of his wage.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton is a big fella. Penrith have ambitions of playing him in the forwards. I'm sure he'd rather play in the halves and not waste his talents

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
400k for 2 years is a great for all parties really: the Bulldogs are getting a solid five eight with great potential, knows Barret, not over-paying and not tied up to a huge long term contract and Burton will be getting a big pay increase with a first grade spot.

Looks like this deal is going to get done, and i've got a feeling we will have him for 2021:
Panthers looking to free up cap space for 2021 (told Mansour he's free to look elsewhere) and they've got Tyrone May as cover for the halves so it would make sense for them to release Burton (even if he is on peanuts) as not only does it provide them abit of extra money but another spot in their top 30. Realistically, why would they want to give Burton game time and development in 2021 if he's going to leave the next year, surely they would be better off giving that opportunity to another of their development halves.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton is a big fella. Penrith have ambitions of playing him in the forwards. I'm sure he'd rather play in the halves and not waste his talents
Even then, which forwards does he start ahead of? Kikau? Martin? Yeo? I can't see him playing prop so it would have to be second row/lock and they're stacked with young talent there.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even then, which forwards does he start ahead of? Kikau? Martin? Yeo? I can't see him playing prop so it would have to be second row/lock and they're stacked with young talent there.
No doubt it's Penrith making out like he'll get a start somewhere. Just like manly saying they might play foz at hooker. They're only saying it to not get their juniors offside

Reactions: rfs

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The only reason they said that was because they already have their halves.
He is a deadset half and he will be a asset when he comes to us