Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Now I can get back to my normal life and stop checking TK every 3min for updates haha. Great signing for the club, another step in the right direction to take us back to the business end of the season.

Lakas

Waterboy
Reaction score
Penrith know they are going to lose Cleary to Origin and Luai was in the squad also this year.

If I was them I would hold onto him as well. They are probably in a premiership “window” and holding onto him will only increase there chances next year.

I hope I am wrong though. The thought of starting next year with Averillo in the 1, and a halves combo of Flanagan and Burton is exciting.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unfortunately mate we have always played nice and continually released good players early with the goodwill never being reciprocated. Can’t see him being released for 21
We've gotten a few things go our way over the years, and it will be interesting to see what happens re Strom and JAC. Also, it may be that Penrith feel they've already given plenty of good will in terms of not getting in the way of TBaz signing with us, but we just don't know the real story as to what happened behind the scenes.

Regardless, if Burton doesn't come over in 2021 and instead ends up spending the year on the sidelines or playing a few games out of position, I'd say it would be fair enough to play hard ball the next time they want a favour...

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Hansen said that he was in talks with the Bulldogs for a while, before they stood down. They got rid of the cap issues, they signed Barrett, they got Cotric, Flanno was in the plans for 2022, Addo Carr was a target way back in August. It seems to have just fallen into place naturally after the season.

In saying that, Im not complaining at all. I do like the new direction the club has taken in communicating and including fans.
If that was the case I'll say it was TB who initiated the talks with Hansen and not the old admin. The only good signing the old admin did was TB. TB has been driving this since he signed and has done more positive rebuilding in 4 months than Des and Pay did in 9 years.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Knights did not release Cogger to us when he signed
Yeah there have been a few but I don’t think any of the ones mentioned actually asked for a release so he makes a good point. Not many that actually ask for a release get knocked back these days. Look at Aloiai from tigers. If you want a release just stop going to training.

I don’t think it’s official as to whether he has actually asked yet. He may want to show loyalty to them

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that was the case I'll say it was TB who initiated the talks with Hansen and not the old admin. The only good signing the old admin did was TB. TB has been driving this since he signed and has done more positive rebuilding in 4 months than Des and Pay did in 9 years.
Exactly, so cant really definitively say that none of this wouldve happened if they were still in charge here.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we somehow were able to secure Grant then it would be one of the best Xmas' ever. We would also be setting ourselves up for another golden era by securing an amazing talented young spine.

Please Cameron Smith play on another season and if we get Grant, I'll always include 'GOAT' after your name when mentioning you on The Kennel.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great singning but fuck I hate player options. If the player is in shit form & getting overs then ofcourse he will take up the option. If he is in good form then why would he take up the option, he will negotiate a new contract for more money. They are of no benefit to the club, lets hope this doesn't become a trend otherwise we could end up like Broncos who have a few flops like Milford and Bird on player options for massive sums.
yep don't like player options...but if he takes up a player option doesnt it have to be the for the same amount as the original contract that he signed? ie if we signed him for 400k for 2 years and he takes up plater option in his 3rd year then doesn't that mean he can only receive 400k ?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I really doubt we sign him if Pay was still coach. Pay was a hindrance to making signings no one wanted to come here and play for him it looks like Tbaz is the opposite.
Signings have been a problem even going back to Hasler. He either signed the wrong players or paid overs. The last decent recruiting would be under Moore/Mulholland.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith know they are going to lose Cleary to Origin and Luai was in the squad also this year.

If I was them I would hold onto him as well. They are probably in a premiership “window” and holding onto him will only increase there chances next year.

I hope I am wrong though. The thought of starting next year with Averillo in the 1, and a halves combo of Flanagan and Burton is exciting.
agreed... the only downsides for the Panthers in keeping Burton for next year would be in developing him as a player further for the benefit of us from 2022 onwards

i also wonder what impact Burton getting a prolonged stint in FG at the Panthers next season and excelling would have on their squad... imagine he stars and then keeps Luai out of the team only for Burton to leave at season's end

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the bottom of that article....
"That said, Matt remains fully committed to Panthers for the upcoming season and we’re excited to see what the team will achieve in 2021."
Yeah I read that and it’s what I’ve been saying. Not sure if you replied to the wrong message but [emoji52]