Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great singning but fuck I hate player options. If the player is in shit form & getting overs then ofcourse he will take up the option. If he is in good form then why would he take up the option, he will negotiate a new contract for more money. They are of no benefit to the club, lets hope this doesn't become a trend otherwise we could end up like Broncos who have a few flops like Milford and Bird on player options for massive sums.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was always between us and Penrith, he wasn't going to the other clubs mentioned.

He gets to play in his preferred position with us where Penrith want to try and make him into something else.

It's the first time in a long time we've been able to attract some decent players, well done to the board, Trent and Laundy who no doubt did his best to help with the signing.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can't believe were going to have two young halves that have the potential to be our long term halves partners for many years to come.
It's an absolutely perfect combo. The Flange with his organisation at 7 and then Burton at 6 with his running game. We've been waiting for this for years. If Burton lives up to his potential which I have no doubt he will, this could be the best buy in the halves since Baa in 1984
Fuck Yair

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
add a prop (Hetherington), a second rower (Waddell), an outside back with Origin experience (Cotric) and we are talking to Ado-Carr... whatever happened to the lethargic Bulldogs admin i used to know and loathe
I just couldn't understand what the hell the other admin were waiting for when it came to recruiting potential stars.
But in saying that, most definitely TBAZ is the main reason these players are coming.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Young gun Matt Burton set to earn big bucks after leaving Penrith for Canterbury
Penrith young gun Matt Burton is set to earn more than $1 million after signing a two-year deal with the Canterbury Bulldogs from 2022 that includes a third year in the player’s favour.

Burton, who is contracted with the Panthers until the end of season 2021, will partner former Rooster Kyle Flanagan in the halves for the Bulldogs.
The two-year contract is believed to be worth in excess of $900,000, which could be higher if the third year is taken up.

Burton told his Penrith teammates on Tuesday that he was leaving to join former Panthers assistant Trent Barrett at the Bulldogs.
Young gun Matt Burton set to earn big bucks after leaving Penrith for Canterbury. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images

He also informed the Cronulla Sharks of his decision after the Sharks expressed interest in his services.
It’s a big payday for a rookie half who has only played six games since making his NRL debut in 2019.
Burton is considered one of the best young playmakers in the game but at Penrith is stuck behind grand final halves pairing Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai.

The St Johns Dubbo junior is one of 12 players at Penrith, including five-eighth Jarome Luai, who are off contract at the end of season 2021.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just heard on the radio he has definitely been denied a release for 21, apparently from Penrith CEO, but who knows.

There'll need to be a plan B for 2021 which hopefully doesn't involve Lewis.