Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The longer this drags on, the less likely it will happen IMO.

IF Burton has already agreed to terms with us starting from 2022 onwards then it would make sense to me to come out & announce the signing asap. There is no benefit for the Dogs or the Burton camp not to announce it, if of course they have agreed to terms. Announcing it would only put more pressure on the Panthers for an early release.

By it not being announced makes me think that no deal for 2022 has yet been reached. It also tells me that the Panthers are most likely telling Burton that they won't release him for 2021. But in return, instead of him only earning his minimum wage for 21 (for eg $150k) we will now pay you say 350k for 2021 & for the following 2 years after that if you agree to our terms. Otherwise your stuck here for 2021 on $150 and you don't get the extra 200k - as an example.

So, if he has agreed with us for 2022, JUST BLOODY COME OUT & ANNOUNCE IT FFS!!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
not sure if anyones posted this already but these article writers are making up figures as they go or they're just on crack...

"According to reports, The Dogs have offered Burton a $1.6 million deal for 2022 and 2023 - and are hoping the Panthers will grant him an early release to join Canterbury for the 2021 season."

source: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/r...m_campaign=EditorialSB&utm_source=news.com.au
Yeah, that's been posted. They've miss read the other rumours and thought it was 800k for 1 season instead of 2.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

IF Burton has already agreed to terms with us starting from 2022 onwards then it would make sense to me to come out & announce the signing asap. There is no benefit for the Dogs or the Burton camp not to announce it, if of course they have agreed to terms. Announcing it would only put more pressure on the Panthers for an early release.

By it not being announced makes me think that no deal for 2022 has yet been reached. It also tells me that the Panthers are most likely telling Burton that they won't release him for 2021. But in return, instead of him only earning his minimum wage for 21 (for eg $150k) we will now pay you say 350k for 2021 & for the following 2 years after that if you agree to our terms. Otherwise your stuck here for 2021 on $150 and you don't get the extra 200k - as an example.

So, if he has agreed with us for 2022, JUST BLOODY COME OUT & ANNOUNCE IT FFS!!!
Maybe we want a 100% answer from the Panthers for 2021 before announcing. It might be dependent on who they're re-signing/signing.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Even if you were right, the issue for Burton is not his wage but the fact that he doesn't have a clear path to FG - especially in his preferred starting position of 6. So even if Penrith matched our offer of $400K a season, he'd either be playing at 6 but in CC or he'd be playing FG but at centre

The advantage we have is we can offer him the $400K and the 6 jersey.

I agree its frustrating this is taking so long. If he has signed it should have been announced immediately. Even the Tigers announced the signing of Laurie for 22 even though they're hoping to get him an early release.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe we want a 100% answer from the Panthers for 2021 before announcing. It might be dependent on who they're re-signing/signing.
Maybe we should really rock the boat & table a big deal to Luai & really piss the Panthers off.... they can't keep them all.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe we should really rock the boat & table a big deal to Luai & really piss the Panthers off.... they can't keep them all.
Luai would laugh at you and carry on. Him and Cleary are about as close as brothers and he'll get an upgrade from us.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luai would laugh at you and carry on. Him and Cleary are about as close as brothers and he'll get an upgrade from us.
I got no doubt you guys would offer him an upgrade, but I don't think he would laugh at an 800k per year contract tabled in front of him. That's not saying he'd except it but I doubt he'd laugh at it.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he meant doing it as a way to get Burton. That's the issue that Burton has - the fact Clearly and Laui are such close mates, Burton has no chance of getting either jersey.

I think Burton is the only player we'll get from Penrith. Leniu would be nice but if he has a clear path to FG he'll stay (and he should stay for less). Chricton is just a fantasy.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I got no doubt you guys would offer him an upgrade, but I don't think he would laugh at an 800k per year contract tabled in front of him. That's not saying he'd except it but I doubt he'd laugh at it.
Yeah you're right I'm using exaggerated language to make the point but the tactic wouldn't work due to the personal connections.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Penrith will have to offer him $800K anyway - he's an origin calibre 6. If Ben Hunt is on $1.2M, then FMD Luai should be on more than that. That's why they're under cap pressure because some of their players are going to demand huge pay increases

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Penrith will have to offer him $800K anyway - he's an origin calibre 6. If Ben Hunt is on $1.2M, then FMD Luai should be on more than that. That's why they're under cap pressure because some of their players are going to demand huge pay increases
Hunt on 1.2m is a joke, as was Foz on a 1m. Good clubs will laugh if mangers try to use that to some how milk more $$$ from them.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunt on 1.2m is a joke, as was Foz on a 1m. Good clubs will laugh if mangers try to use that to some how milk more $$$ from them.
I can understand a club paying overs to get a star player but Hunt at 7 is worth $700K max so to pay a $500K premium is a joke - but because it's the Dragqueens I like this joke so suck shit to the Dragons.

The sooner we forget about Foz the better

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right, the clubs will laugh - but the player manager's will use it as leverage to drive their price up where they really want to play.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he meant doing it as a way to get Burton. That's the issue that Burton has - the fact Clearly and Laui are such close mates, Burton has no chance of getting either jersey.

I think Burton is the only player we'll get from Penrith. Leniu would be nice but if he has a clear path to FG he'll stay (and he should stay for less). Chricton is just a fantasy.
Or maybe nothing has been agreed or signed!
Im thinking Burton is the Kennels fantasy that will never happen.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Or maybe nothing has been agreed or signed!
Im thinking Burton is the Kennels fantasy that will never happen.
If it was fantasy he wouldn't be weighing his options. The dogs have to be at least tempting to him. If that wasn't the case he would've been announced for Panthers by now.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If it was fantasy he wouldn't be weighing his options. The dogs have to be at least tempting to him. If that wasn't the case he would've been announced for Panthers by now.
Personally, if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on him leaving the Panthers. If he really wanted to stay and the conditions were what he wanted he would've signed on for the Panthers by now.

The fact that he's actively looking at the Dogs, which can't be denied, and apparently now he's looking into the Sharks as well it seems like he's more than just contemplating leaving your guys.

The problem for the DOgs is that they haven't wrapped it up already, which clearly means we haven't offered him enough or the conditions he's looking for. He may well sign on still, but it is concerning from a Dogs side of things that things are still being drawn out.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally, if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on him leaving the Panthers. If he really wanted to stay and the conditions were what he wanted he would've signed on for the Panthers by now.

The fact that he's actively looking at the Dogs, which can't be denied, and apparently now he's looking into the Sharks as well it seems like he's more than just contemplating leaving your guys.

The problem for the DOgs is that they haven't wrapped it up already, which clearly means we haven't offered him enough or the conditions he's looking for. He may well sign on still, but it is concerning from a Dogs side of things that things are still being drawn out.
What if the hold up is the conditions WE are looking for? Say, an instant release for 2021? Or a release before June 30? Or some of his payments are TPA’s and he has to sign seperate contracts for them, before he signs the NRL contract with us? Maybe his lawyer is working on the small print? Maybe his parents are inspecting a new Laundy hotel that they are going to part own?

It doesn’t have to be Burton himself that’s causing the delay, if there really is one, it could be many other factors.

Go Dogs

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What if the hold up is the conditions WE are looking for? Say, an instant release for 2021? Or a release before June 30? Or some of his payments are TPA’s and he has to sign seperate contracts for them, before he signs the NRL contract with us? Maybe his lawyer is working on the small print? Maybe his parents are inspecting a new Laundy hotel that they are going to part own?

It doesn’t have to be Burton himself that’s causing the delay, if there really is one, it could be many other factors.

Go Dogs
This is true. Just seems strange to me the reports that the Sharks have now entered the fray ... Of course, that depends on whether we belief the press on this but I hate to say it but a few people have said it.

Get what you're saying though, and I guess we'll never really know. HOpefully in the coming week or so things become clearer?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I remember people said similar about Freddy