Official Matt Burton on his way

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let’s hope he continues to excel in our colours and we can all look back with fond memories on a potential Bulldogs legend.

TB has a big job ahead of him as do our forwards who need to aim up and dominate to provide Matt a Platform… Thompson, Vaughan, TPJ and Hetherington should do a decent job. We are probably one Prop short of where our pack needs to be, but if Patolo gains some confidence from last year and steps up, he could be the surprise packet go forward we need. Be interesting to see how Max King goes and what Cook can offer in the #9.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He cried when he was told he wouldn’t be re-signed, I believe. Not when he left.

I’m not saying Burton won’t be happy here in the long run…. Just getting the impression from May shitposting about back flipping on social media and from his emotional post that he may feel a bit bummed to be leaving.

Hopefully he buys onto our culture and starts to feel like he belongs with this club pretty quickly.
They all post emotional shit these days when leaving

Speaking of which where was Elliott's post? :smirk::smirk::smirk:

Call my cynical I still won't believe Burton is ours until i see him run out in our jersey in round 1.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He cried when he was told he wouldn’t be re-signed, I believe. Not when he left.

I’m not saying Burton won’t be happy here in the long run…. Just getting the impression from May shitposting about back flipping on social media and from his emotional post that he may feel a bit bummed to be leaving.

Hopefully he buys onto our culture and starts to feel like he belongs with this club pretty quickly.
U read into a lot of things,he will b fine has a good support group around him,and I’m sure he was up to the challenge,and remember Penrith had the opportunity to keep him,and only offered $300ka season for him,and no excuse about their salary cap because they signed other players after letting him go.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There will always be doubt, that's normal in any decision anyone makes. However Penrith will always be Clearys team, Burton has a chance to make Canterbury his team and that will be the winner!

Welcome to the dogs Matt.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
U read into a lot of things,he will b fine has a good support group around him,and I’m sure he was up to the challenge,and remember Penrith had the opportunity to keep him,and only offered $300ka season for him,and no excuse about their salary cap because they signed other players after letting him go.
Hope you're right.....but success here isn't a foregone conclusion with Barrett at the helm and if we aren't winning, I can't see him staying long term. The club and Gus need to watch Trent very closely next year, IMO. We can't afford to get this rebuild wrong. And we already got it wrong with Elliott. No more mistakes!

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t want to be a negative Nancy but the constant comparisons to Freddy and Thurston are really leading this to one thing and that’s people saying in 12 months time, “Burton couldn’t perform amongst a shitter crop of players.”

Just take it easy guys, contain that excitement and recognise that the guy has played just a couple of seasons of footy none with consistency in the same position.

He doesn't have to be the next Thurston for us to make the 8.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
They all post emotional shit these days when leaving

Speaking of which where was Elliott's post? :smirk::smirk::smirk:

Call my cynical I still won't believe Burton is ours until i see him run out in our jersey in round 1.
The fact Elliott didn't trash talk the club who let him down on his way out shows where his heart lies. A true clubman to the end. Whichever team picks him up will be very lucky and destined for big things.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don’t want to be a negative Nancy but the constant comparisons to Freddy and Thurston are really leading this to one thing and that’s people saying in 12 months time, “Burton couldn’t perform amongst a shitter crop of players.”

Just take it easy guys, contain that excitement and recognise that the guy has played just a couple of seasons of footy none with consistency in the same position.

Great talent, but you're not wrong. If we aren't performing in the first half of next year, many will turn on him very quickly.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Great talent, but you're not wrong. If we aren't performing in the first half of next year, many will turn on him very quickly.
Some will defend him to the death, some will say he's overrated, others will say he's a centre, etc. It's almost like different people have different opinions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

You're right that people will turn on him if he starts off slow or has a bad game. We saw it with Penrith even in the first half of a game with our fans calling him overrated and then he scores two tries in the second half and all of a sudden he's the saviour again. That's just how overreactionary our fans can be.

Ordinarily I'd agree that the hype is out of control but at least in this instance I think he's a special player who has a good head on his shoulders who has shown he can handle the pressure. I think he will live up to the hype. But if he starts off slow, I won't lose any belief or faith in him at all because he's one of the best talents in the comp and eventually he'll show his class.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Some will defend him to the death, some will say he's overrated, others will say he's a centre, etc. It's almost like different people have different opinions.
Lol sounding a little bit sarcastic there, mate.

The point is that some people's opinions change very quickly.....one might even say prematurely.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There is still time. lol
He won't be wanting to sit out the season, and will, if he reneges, unless that escape clause is in his contract. Can't see it :grinning:

The guy is 100% professional and ethical.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done Matt.
Now it’s time for a major step up and to be the leader and marquee at a bigger club with a bigger fan base and a chance to spear head us back to the top.
We’re all with you mate.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hope you're right.....but success here isn't a foregone conclusion with Barrett at the helm and if we aren't winning, I can't see him staying long term. The club and Gus need to watch Trent very closely next year, IMO. We can't afford to get this rebuild wrong. And we already got it wrong with Elliott. No more mistakes!
Have you tried therapy? You sound very depressed.