Official Matt Burton on his way

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely got a vibe about it that he doesn’t wanna leave hopefully we lock him up I remain to be convinced he can be a star half behind our forward pack let’s hope so

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Think it’s a totally appropriate post on his part.
Not burning any bridges, sure, but a pre season bonding with his new team, as THE man, is a new challenge and something he’d be looking forward to.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Definitely got a vibe about it that he doesn’t wanna leave hopefully we lock him up I remain to be convinced he can be a star half behind our forward pack let’s hope so
He's only leaving to play in the halves, if the spot was open at Penrith he probably would've stayed there for less than we offered.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's only leaving to play in the halves, if the spot was open at Penrith he probably would've stayed there for less than we offered.
Have no doubt, but hopefully that changes to our benefit over next few years and others need to pay more to get him to leave the Dogs. Making him feel welcome and having a team that can show his skills will be the first step. I can see Burton being chosen as the NSW bench utility next year if he starts the year in decent form and improves as the year progresses. A platform to grow with and an opportunity for premiership glory in a few years should be enough to keep him with the Dogs.

As has been said if Panthers hadn't won, he would have been hungry for a premiership and may not be as patient as he needs to be for the Dogs to be in that position. He has one ring now he can be part of a re-build and more premiership glory over the next several years. It will mean more to him when he is the one controlling the team rather than just a cog in the machine.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely, as he cemented a spot in the 17. We nabbed him at the right time and hopefully we tie him up to a long term deal. Definitely a player to build around.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have no doubt, but hopefully that changes to our benefit over next few years and others need to pay more to get him to leave the Dogs. Making him feel welcome and having a team that can show his skills will be the first step. I can see Burton being chosen as the NSW bench utility next year if he starts the year in decent form and improves as the year progresses. A platform to grow with and an opportunity for premiership glory in a few years should be enough to keep him with the Dogs.
He seems to a person of integrity, if he is treated well at the dogs, he will quickly feel that he belongs, and want to give back in return. Having a doubting fanbase, or fans who turn on him the moment he makes a mistake, won't help.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He seems to a person of integrity, if he is treated well at the dogs, he will quickly feel that he belongs, and want to give back in return. Having a doubting fanbase, or fans who turn on him the moment he makes a mistake, won't help.
Silly threads like "will he be the worst ever signing" won't help. If he saw that, without knowing the Bulldogs fan base humour and/or negativity, won't help :grinning:

Thankfully 99% positive and welcoming reaction from our fans at him joining us :grinning:

He will feel the love with his first run and line break, then pass to Fox for our first 2022 try.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
At least he’s leaving Penrith with no unfinished business. I reckon he would have found it bloody hard to leave if they hadn’t won it.
Definitely. That’s why I was holding my nose snd cheering for them all finals series. Not to mention the added confidence it will have given him.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Silly threads like "will he be the worst ever signing" won't help. If he saw that, without knowing the Bulldogs fan base humour and/or negativity, won't help :grinning:

Thankfully 99% positive and welcoming reaction from our fans at him joining us :grinning:

He will feel the love with his first run and line break, then pass to Fox for our first 2022 try.
How sweet will that be....Burton makes a break and offloads to the Fox who runs around the fullback to score...bring it on!! :grinning:

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When I went to the Penrith v Melbourne preliminary final in Brisbane, I felt like yelling out to Matt to come over to the sideline to give him a bulldog welcoming hug and thank him for coming to our club...I'm hoping he is our next Terry Lamb and stays with us till his retirement...All the very best Matt and welcome to our club!!!

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Turner, of you read this, make sure you ask if he's ready to rip in with the Bois, thanks.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Steve Turner, of you read this, make sure you ask if he's ready to rip in with the Bois, thanks.
Are you seriously picking on Zappy for his communication skills :tonguewink:

Always a Bulldog