Official Matt Burton on his way

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you're right.....but success here isn't a foregone conclusion with Barrett at the helm and if we aren't winning, I can't see him staying long term. The club and Gus need to watch Trent very closely next year, IMO. We can't afford to get this rebuild wrong. And we already got it wrong with Elliott. No more mistakes!
We’ll agree to disagree on Elliot,but Trent I’m not convinced he’s a first grade coach,look at the likes of Flanagan averilo wakeham none of them have shown any great improvement,actually has any player improved under him.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thought he was always on his way.!!!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We’ll agree to disagree on Elliot,but Trent I’m not convinced he’s a first grade coach,look at the likes of Flanagan averilo wakeham none of them have shown any great improvement,actually has any player improved under him.
I think a lot of players have actually gone backwards. I'm really hoping Gus shadow coaches the team next year. I don't think Baz has a clue.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hope you're right.....but success here isn't a foregone conclusion with Barrett at the helm and if we aren't winning, I can't see him staying long term. The club and Gus need to watch Trent very closely next year, IMO. We can't afford to get this rebuild wrong. And we already got it wrong with Elliott. No more mistakes!
Wrong with Elliot my arse!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think a lot of players have actually gone backwards. I'm really hoping Gus shadow coaches the team next year. I don't think Baz has a clue.
I'm certainly not sold on Barrett. Not sold on his assistant coaches either. Our attack was probably a touch better at times, but our defence was piss poor even before we copped mountains of harsh refs calls and had to supplement poor decisions with fatigue as well.

If Barrett shows early that he isn't up to it at least our roster should attract moderately more successful coaching quality.

As far as Burton's post goes it just seems like he's giving a professional fairwell and thank you to the club that got him to where he is. I highly doubt that Cleary senior was going to give him an open run at becoming the key playmaker at Penrith any time soon. He'll get the chance to forge his own future with us as the dominant half IMO. Not expecting miracles from day one. But he's definitely a talent.

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t want to be a negative Nancy but the constant comparisons to Freddy and Thurston are really leading this to one thing and that’s people saying in 12 months time, “Burton couldn’t perform amongst a shitter crop of players.”

Just take it easy guys, contain that excitement and recognise that the guy has played just a couple of seasons of footy none with consistency in the same position.

He doesn't have to be the next Thurston for us to make the 8.
Agree 100%,too much pressure doesn't do anyone any good at his age and experience level,like running in an engine,just gotta take it a bit easy for a while before you get right into it. I'm sure Matt will warm to the task in no time but patience is a virtue.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His running game improved out of sight in 2021
I think Asiata and himself could prove a handy combo with Asiatas skill in the ruck opening holes on the edge.
The real question is who will be on the right side? I think Avirello should have first crack and with a full pre season in the position could grow into it, he has a handy kicking game pace to burn Barrett needs to spend time teaching how to control an edge and get the team to positions to help Burton.

Biondi-Odo and Wakeham can be the back ups
Hopefully NSW cup is back next year and these guys can develop. I thought Wakeham had some potential.

If Sherwin is the halves coach he needs to have plenty of time with them. I do think having Matthew Johns doing a few sessions would not go astray. Let Matty have his 5 min of comedy for his show (this would be another media gain for us)

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope u realise that this is a first,we actually agree on something.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree 100%,too much pressure doesn't do anyone any good at his age and experience level,like running in an engine,just gotta take it a bit easy for a while before you get right into it. I'm sure Matt will warm to the task in no time but patience is a virtue.
Even if fans temper expectations, the media will hype Burton, Fox, TPJ and the others up all offseason. Especially Burton.. That's just the way the media is. And it's ten times worse in the offseason.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would have liked something to the effect of "Excited for what the future holds" or "looking forward to a new opportunity " etc lol

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shit…. If text could talk, his words would be on the verge of tears.

It may be hard to leave, but you’re doing it at the right time, Matt. Another year snd the dickhead eoukd have started seeping into your skin.
One year earlier and he would have had to deal with Elliott trying to rail his Mrs.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They all post emotional shit these days when leaving

Speaking of which where was Elliott's post? :smirk::smirk::smirk:

Call my cynical I still won't believe Burton is ours until i see him run out in our jersey in round 1.
You're cynical.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would have liked something to the effect of "Excited for what the future holds" or "looking forward to a new opportunity " etc lol
pretty sure you'll see something soon. that message was saying goodbye...