Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I am talking about 2021.
Carr, xerri, fifita.
Who would rather let go , Elliott and tolman, and get fifita.??..thats a no brainer for most on the kennel.

Rumour has it the league's clubs grant to the football club will be reduced by 1 million bux this year and beyond
As well as both boards do not see eye to eye.
Any truth to this?
I would have thought that the dnb would have power over the league's club board?
For whatever reason if true, one would think this would put a major dent in the finances, so we don't care about a major sponsor right?
Doesn't make sense.
I repeat there will be no Fifita now that Thompson is coming and doubtful he was ever an option anyway - he's staying in Brisneyland.
I think it's probably unlikely the other two will be retained but I wouldn't rule at least one of them out for 2021 in a different role.

Both boards have almost NEVER seen eye to eye - no newsflash there!
Not sure what you mean about who has the power - the footy club board runs the footy club/team and leagues club board run the leagues club and finances - isn't that obvious?
As for reduction of grant I don't buy it. Where is that one coming from?
I never said we don't care about a major sponsor - of course we do - it goes a long way to meeting to cost of running the footy club.
What I said was the PLAYERS don't care and it makes no difference to attracting talent (cap space does) because the NRL grant is 130% of the salary cap.
Selecting reading Teddy!

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Look at us spending big money in the past on "potential" with Mbye and where did that get us. We know as a club we can't afford to spend large money on potential at this point as we need a few experienced players to help us go forward. Thommo is definitely one piece of the puzzle that we needed. As you said his credentials speak for themselves. He may not have been tested in the NRL arena yet, but I am sure he will be up to the task.
Nice to see someone gets it mate! :-)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So if the numbers don't matter how come you've spent many months talking about paying overs and quoting these huge salaries? We spent nowhere near $500k on Liccha (thank God). As for Ponga - would you say Newcastle have got bang for buck? I wouldn't.
Actually we spent close to 500k for Lichaa. I'd say Knights have got bang for buck... he's only on 650k... when I talk about paying overs it's the principle the amount I give is irrelevant but there needs to be a significant difference for a player to accept. I think that's common sense.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
With all due respect Brady, how on earth do you feel more comfortable throwing money at a player completely unproven at first grade level, over a man regarded as the best prop in England? Especially when you consider the recent form reference of premium English props transitioning to NRL (Graham, Burgess etc).

Comparing this with the Knights signing Ponga is not a fair one. Ponga saw a little bit more first grade prior than Grant has and showed outstanding, freakish talents.
For what we need. I have Grant in the same boat as Haas, Fifita, Ponga, Staggs, etc. I'm sure you would of said the same thing regarding all those players. Haas got 600k basically before playing one NRL game.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Actually we spent close to 500k for Lichaa. I'd say Knights have got bang for buck... he's only on 650k... when I talk about paying overs it's the principle the amount I give is irrelevant but there needs to be a significant difference for a player to accept.
Over 2 years maybe. If you're trying to tell me Liccha was on anywhere near $500k a season that's just so wide of the mark..

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Actually we spent close to 500k for Lichaa. I'd say Knights have got bang for buck... he's only on 650k... when I talk about paying overs it's the principle the amount I give is irrelevant but there needs to be a significant difference for a player to accept.
Dude, seriously shut the fuck up.

You dont win comps by paying overs in a salary cap competion, however you can buy a comp in a non-salary cap competition

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dude, seriously shut the fuck up.

You dont win comps by paying overs in a salary cap competion, however you can buy a comp in a non-salary cap competition
How do you attract players to win the competition? It isn't 1990 anymore Rooney. It's rough I know.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The year is 2021.
Twin turbo reckons we should have over 4M to spend
And a bunch of that will be on upgrades and extensions to the existing squad. If you believe a number close to that will be solely for new recruits then I don't know what else to say.
Apart from Thompson we are possibly looking at 5 more recruits. You've got 30 players to pay and 19 of those spots are already filled for 2021.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Over 2 years maybe. If you're trying to tell me Liccha was on anywhere near $500k a season that's just so wide of the mark..
When we first signed him he was on a big contract (he was one of the best hooker's coming through AND we were also in a good position back then). I'm not talking about when we re-signed him the second time round when no one wanted him.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually we spent close to 500k for Lichaa. I'd say Knights have got bang for buck... he's only on 650k... when I talk about paying overs it's the principle the amount I give is irrelevant but there needs to be a significant difference for a player to accept. I think that's common sense.
Lichaa was on 330k for memory. Long way short of 500k

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When we first signed him he was on a big contract (he was one of the best hooker's coming through AND we were also in a good position back then). I'm not talking about when we re-signed him the second time round when no one wanted him.
So we were prepared to pay $500k for Liccha but were not prepared to meet Cook's request of an extra $50k on top of his salary at the time (which is what happened and why he left) - a decision made by the same management?
I assure you, even on his first contract - Liccha was on nowhere near $500k/season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So we were prepared to pay $500k for Liccha but were not prepared to meet Cook's request of an extra $50k on top of his salary at the time (which is what happened and why he left) - a decision made by the same management?
I assure you, even on his first contract - Liccha was on nowhere near $500k/season.
Yes Lichaa was rated more highly than Cook at the time. That's due to age and potential. Cook was turning into a bit of a journeyman.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lichaa was signed on a 3 year deal at a total of 1m.

Do you need a calculator?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought bullfrog or maybe it was McIntyre ensured the representation at league's club board would be made up of more dnb members than league's club board members to ensure balance of power was always with the football club.
This is what I mean.
If that is the case then I could not see them reducing the grant unless of course a there was a valid reason.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Where are you getting 1m/3 years from? I don't need a calculator thanks for offering Rooney.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes Lichaa was rated more highly than Cook at the time. That's due to age and potential. Cook was turning into a bit of a journeyman.
A journeyman?? We were his SECOND club after spending ONE year at St. Merge. How could you have concluded that at the time?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
A journeyman?? We were his SECOND club after spending ONE year at St. Merge. How could you have concluded that at the time?
He didn't have a position locked down. He was played Fullback and Wing for e.g. he played for other clubs that weren't in the NRL beforehand. He left us at 23? There wasn't enough there to suggest he'd become what he did. I had zero issue in him leaving at the time just the person who we signed was a dud. Any signing you make in theory can be a dud.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

I think Brady’s calculator needs a service. Every figure he produces seems to have an extra 35% tacked onto it. Gotta be a glitch in the machine.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can recruit better players than what we have, we need to do it.
A bunch of the current lot need to earn their extensions. obvious point right
And a bunch of that will be on upgrades and extensions to the existing squad. If you believe a number close to that will be solely for new recruits then I don't know what else to say.
Apart from Thompson we are possibly looking at 5 more recruits. You've got 30 players to pay and 19 of those spots are already filled for 2021.