Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The reported 800k would be steep. Hopefully it's closer to 700k. But considering his pedigree, he'd ultimately prove to be worth the extra money if that's what he's on..

Either way it's a great signing and a statement of intent by the club.
Well that explains it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How is it a miss when someone stays at their own club? If he signed with the Eels I might understand your point, but I’m afraid with retention I don’t at all.
If we offered him enough I don't think he would of stayed. At the time he had no guarentee for playtime in 2020 (and he still doesn't unless the Tigers swap deal goes through). He wouldn't be on that much at the Storm. We need a hooker pretty badly and there's not much available is what I'm getting at. Turpin was another one who did reject us (probably due to a low ball offer) I'm not sure if we even had discussions with Grant.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If we offered him enough I don't think he would of stayed. At the time he had no guarentee for playtime in 2020 (and he still doesn't unless the Tigers swap deal goes through). He wouldn't be on that much at the Storm. We need a hooker pretty badly and there's not much available is what I'm getting at.
Who said money was his only motivator? It isn’t for all...even I’ve been offered jobs for nice coin but I wasn’t prepared to move to a certain place at the time for other reasons. There could be a plethora of reasons why he stayed in Melbourne and I bet the Dogs being ‘unattractive’ wasn’t one of them.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who said money was his only motivator? It isn’t for all...even I’ve been offered jobs for nice coin but I wasn’t prepared to move to a certain place at the time for other reasons. There could be a plethora of reasons why he stayed in Melbourne and I bet the Dogs being ‘unattractive’ wasn’t one of them.
I find it hard to believe a QLD'er (In Melbourne) that earns 200-300k wouldn't accept around a 500k offer (yes I'm making up the figures but you get the point). That's a big difference. Just fight with Teddy we've been here before (and this e.g. is in the past anyways) :P

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, I lost some weight in that cameo performance, and some brain cells as well by the looks of it.
Nonetheless it was a good laugh.
Best you give me a party blower at the next party.
What did josh Maguire say, winners have party's, only losers have meetings?
Well Mate, we haven't won anything.
We are cracking champagne bottles ( horse) at winning a couple of games and staying off the bottom of the ladder, or getting the party blowers out for not signing Curtis Scott.
Phuck imagine what would happen if we just made the top 8?? Something we did on a very regular basis which was just the norm for the dogs and the long suffering supporters..

Again I ask you, who will score our points? We cannot score points?

Give me xerri, carr and fifita and a major frickin sponsor and we are well on the way to the street party's at belmore.

No one can party better than us dogs supporters. ( but sorry your party sounds boring right now)
Geez you’d be fun at parties Teddy.
Steaks overdone, people boring, weather crap - and apart from that, it sucked.

Not sure how you get 1/20 when there’s only 11 spots available for the 2021 squad, at least 5 of which I think will be retained from the existing squad so let’s call it 1/6 (it never was 20 remember). Plenty of time for the ABC (Awesome Board of Canterbury) to get another 5 players in the next 12 months.

PS: Hope you enjoyed starring in your own movie and your popcorn after your main course of humble pie :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe a QLD'er (In Melbourne) that earns 200-300k wouldn't accept around a 500k offer. That's a big difference.
Again you’re speculating with numbers. I’d like to know how many clubs would drop half a mil on a bloke who hasn’t played much in the top grade. My guess is very few if any. And even if his current coin is close to what you say that’s great coin for a kid his age. Maybe he’s got personal reasons for staying not to mention his own career ambitions once Cameron Smith is gone. I bet there’s more to the story...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Again you’re speculating with numbers. I’d like to know how many clubs would drop half a mil on a bloke who hasn’t played much in the top grade. My guess is very few if any. And even if his current coin is close to what you say that’s great coin for a kid his age. Maybe he’s got personal reasons for staying not to mention his own career ambitions once Cameron Smith is gone. I bet there’s more to the story...
The numbers don't matter it's the principle! We did with Lichaa... Knights did with Ponga... there are a few e.g's. I would of been more comfortable throwing that money at Grant than Thompson but if that's only me then it's only me! We'll see how Grant progresses.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Geez, I lost some weight in that cameo performance, and some brain cells as well by the looks of it.
Nonetheless it was a good laugh.
Best you give me a party blower at the next party.
What did josh Maguire say, winners have party's, only losers have meetings?
Well Mate, we haven't won anything.
We are cracking champagne bottles ( horse) at winning a couple of games and staying off the bottom of the ladder, or getting the party blowers out for not signing Curtis Scott.
Phuck imagine what would happen if we just made the top 8?? Something we did on a very regular basis which was just the norm for the dogs and the long suffering supporters..

Again I ask you, who will score our points? We cannot score points?

Give me xerri, carr and fifita and a major frickin sponsor and we are well on the way to the street party's at belmore.

No one can party better than us dogs supporters. ( but sorry your party sounds boring right now)
No worries, bleaters aren't invited to my parties anyway :-)
Yes, making the 8 was the norm. Something we haven't been able to do for very obvious reasons that don't need to be repeated for the 500th time and something I think is a very good chance of changing this year.
We have more points in us now than we had 12 months ago and we've still got time to add more quality for 2021. 2020 we still have restrictions - I just don't understand how you don't see or if you do see don't accept that.
~10% of our cap is sitting on the sideline for most of the year and another few percent is tied up in rich back-ended deals. And you want to be able to go after the Addo-Carr's of the world for 2020? It's unrealistic mate.
There will be no Fifita now that we've got Thompson.
Sponsors don't bring points and don't matter to the playing group anyway because that's funded by the NRL grant.
I'm afraid we're just going to have to continue to agree to disagree Teddy. Enjoy your party - I will mine - it starts on 12 March.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The titans did it as well with the storm forward.
You pay on potential and if your a good recruiter and can see something special in that player well you go for it.
The numbers don't matter it's the principle! We did with Lichaa... Knights did with Ponga... there are a few e.g's. I would of been more comfortable throwing that money at Grant than Thompson but if that's only me then it's only me! We'll see how Grant progresses.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So if the numbers don't matter how come you've spent many months talking about paying overs and quoting these huge salaries? We spent nowhere near $500k on Liccha (thank God). As for Ponga - would you say Newcastle have got bang for buck? I wouldn't.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
With all due respect Brady, how on earth do you feel more comfortable throwing money at a player completely unproven at first grade level, over a man regarded as the best prop in England? Especially when you consider the recent form reference of premium English props transitioning to NRL (Graham, Burgess etc).

Comparing this with the Knights signing Ponga is not a fair one. Ponga saw a little bit more first grade prior than Grant has and showed outstanding, freakish talents.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You pay on potential and if your a good recruiter and can see something special in that player well you go for it.
If you have the salary cap room maybe - we didn't. Again the facts intrude Teddy!
And you may well end up with a dud. At least Thompson has proven himself. 150+ games in the top grade and representing your country at 24 shows you he's got the goods.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
So if the numbers don't matter how come you've spent many months talking about paying overs and quoting these huge salaries? We spent nowhere near $500k on Liccha (thank God). As for Ponga - would you say Newcastle have got bang for buck? I wouldn't.
Newcastle got no bang for their bucks between Ponga and Klemmers big pay. Just finished ahead of us because of for and against and didn't make the 8.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
They also rolled the dice by throwing big money at Leilani Latu.

Do you see how there’s a fair element of risk involved in such signings?

Our club has been in no position to break the bank on unproven commodities.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am talking about 2021.
Carr, xerri, fifita.
Who would rather let go , Elliott and tolman, and get fifita.??..thats a no brainer for most on the kennel.

Rumour has it the league's clubs grant to the football club will be reduced by 1 million bux this year and beyond
As well as both boards do not see eye to eye.
Any truth to this?
I would have thought that the dnb would have power over the league's club board?
For whatever reason if true, one would think this would put a major dent in the finances, so we don't care about a major sponsor right?
Doesn't make sense.
No worries, bleaters aren't invited to my parties anyway :-)
Yes, making the 8 was the norm. Something we haven't been able to do for very obvious reasons that don't need to be repeated for the 500th time and something I think is a very good chance of changing this year.
We have more points in us now than we had 12 months ago and we've still got time to add more quality for 2021. 2020 we still have restrictions - I just don't understand how you don't see or if you do see don't accept that.
~10% of our cap is sitting on the sideline for most of the year and another few percent is tied up in rich back-ended deals. And you want to be able to go after the Addo-Carr's of the world for 2020? It's unrealistic mate.
There will be no Fifita now that we've got Thompson.
Sponsors don't bring points and don't matter to the playing group anyway because that's funded by the NRL grant.
I'm afraid we're just going to have to continue to agree to disagree Teddy. Enjoy your party - I will mine - it starts on 12 March.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The year is 2021.
Twin turbo reckons we should have over 4M to spend

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have the salary cap room maybe - we didn't. Again the facts intrude Teddy!
And you may well end up with a dud. At least Thompson has proven himself. 150+ games in the top grade and representing your country at 24 shows you he's got the goods.
Look at us spending big money in the past on "potential" with Mbye and where did that get us. We know as a club we can't afford to spend large money on potential at this point as we need a few experienced players to help us go forward. Thommo is definitely one piece of the puzzle that we needed. As you said his credentials speak for themselves. He may not have been tested in the NRL arena yet, but I am sure he will be up to the task.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am talking about 2021.
Carr, xerri, fifita.
Who would rather let go , Elliott and tolman, and get fifita.??..thats a no brainer for most on the kennel.

Rumour has it the league's clubs grant to the football club will be reduced by 1 million bux this year and beyond
As well as both boards do not see eye to eye.
Any truth to this?
I would have thought that the dnb would have power over the league's club board?
For whatever reason if true, one would think this would put a major dent in the finances, so we don't care about a major sponsor right?
Doesn't make sense.
@buzzrothfield, @dweidler

Here is your scoop for this week.

Canterbury Leagues club and football board dont see eye to eye.

Article verified by big bad teddybear

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but horse, tell me

Would you throw 650k at xerri?

They also rolled the dice by throwing big money at Leilani Latu.

Do you see how there’s a fair element of risk involved in such signings?

Our club has been in no position to break the bank on unproven commodities.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jokes aside is it true?

We need to be united
@buzzrothfield, @dweidler

Here is your scoop for this week.

Canterbury Leagues club and football board dont see eye to eye.

Article verified by big bad teddybear