Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ha ha - fair enough mate. Love the positivity!
I can get as negative as most on here, I'm borderline bipolar when it comes to the dogs.

I just love when we sign good players. It's like dropping some Prozac lol.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I can get as negative as most on here, I'm borderline bipolar when it comes to the dogs.

I just love when we sign good players. It's like dropping some Prozac lol.
At least there's some salvation for you mate. Can't say that for everyone here...:-)

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's important to see how we stack up against the other NRL clubs in regards to attracting talent. This situation isn't all clear tho as the Rabbitohs signed Arrow and the Titans signed Tino a while ago now (I would of preferred both of them as players as they're more proven). Saying that it's still a good signing (depending on the $ but we don't know so can't really use that). I'm not going to get carried away tho and act like it's a marquee signing when it isn't. It's a good start but I don't think it's going to have that much of an impact regarding other top NRL players wanting to play with us.

We should at least be having conversations with every player which is how you determine if they fit what we're looking for (as a player, person and money). We also can't always say something bad about a player we've missed out on to justify him not joining us (that is where fans are being tricked by "Bulldogs DNA"). Napa one of our own for e.g. said the the media and what people were saying about Latrell isn't true (literally nothing wrong with testing your worth on the market either).
There is a fine line between being a pessimist and a realist..
You stated earlier that you know nothing of him and have never watched him play..
So how can you state now that he isn’t a ‘marquee signing’?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From a mate who is Scouse and a big Saints man. He was devo when Graham left them.

View attachment 12955
I think your Scouse friend is pretty spot on from what we've seen of Thompson. It's rare for anyone to have the aggression, recklessness and physicality of Graham. The dude is wired differently and a true throwback fearless forward.

Thompson seems way more athletic though and has more attacking upside due to his footwork and speed. If rumours of Graham joining the coaching ranks next year are true and he can help Thompson develop the same soft hands and passing game Jammer had, then Thompson will go to new heights as a player.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still remember a RLW mag in 93 that had McCracken and Connoly on front cover with the title ‘Axe & Smash’
Then they signed Timu from Rugby after that. Our club was quite progressive then in scouring Rugby and English players and hopefully the signing of Thompson is a sign that we're headed back in that direction.

Canberra have proved that it's a wise strategy as you have to overpay so much for established NRL players and half the time they're not worth the money..

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still remember a RLW mag in 93 that had McCracken and Connoly on front cover with the title ‘Axe & Smash’
I wonder if that was in reference to the WWF Tag Team Demolition who were around at that time. Their wrestling names where Axe & Smash.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow man good memory! Connelly was a gun in the UK but never hit his straps with us over here and eventually went back after only one season I’m pretty sure.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your Scouse friend is pretty spot on from what we've seen of Thompson. It's rare for anyone to have the aggression, recklessness and physicality of Graham. The dude is wired differently and a true throwback fearless forward.

Thompson seems way more athletic though and has more attacking upside due to his footwork and speed. If rumours of Graham joining the coaching ranks next year are true and he can help Thompson develop the same soft hands and passing game Jammer had, then Thompson will go to new heights as a player.
Are they solid rumours of him joining the staff? I thought it was in his contract to join dragons staff

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow man good memory! Connelly was a gun in the UK but never hit his straps with us over here and eventually went back after only one season I’m pretty sure.
I was 12 but my older brother bought the RLW every week since NZ started stocking them (prob 1989)

Wednesday was my fav day of week run home from school and read it and do the photoclue and crossword [emoji23]

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Then they signed Timu from Rugby after that. Our club was quite progressive then in scouring Rugby and English players and hopefully the signing of Thompson is a sign that we're headed back in that direction.

Canberra have proved that it's a wise strategy as you have to overpay so much for established NRL players and half the time they're not worth the money..
J Davies went pretty good as well aye...91?
One season scored some tries kicked goals

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He looks like a solid unit and I can’t wait for 2021. But, I haven’t seen Thompson play at all. does anyone know what his strengths are? Can he offload? Some say he is a tolman replacement but I see him as a Klemmer upgrade if he can offload and ball play.
He’s a lot more explosive then tolman and klemmer put together. Has a motor can run for a big guy and has a offload game aswell. Loves breaking tackles and runs great lines aims for the gaps.