Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke Thompson has decided to move on from the club when his contract expires at the end of the 2020 season.
Saints Chairman Eamonn McManus stated:

“We were informed last week that Luke has decided to join Canterbury Bulldogs next season.

“We accept and totally respect Luke’s decision and wish him nothing but success in his career and in his life. We are absolutely sure that he will be absolutely committed to the Club and to his teammates for the rest of this season.

“There’s no hiding from the fact that this is a bitter disappointment to all of us as Luke has been connected to the Club since the age of 11 and has developed into an absolute top player at 24 years old.

“If ever he decides to return to England and to Super League then there would be a red carpet waiting for him at St.Helens.”

Thompson is a product of the Saints Academy having been at the club since the age of 11.

The 24-year-old has made 158 appearances for the Saints scoring 25 tries and has won three League Leaders’ Shields in 2014, 2018 and 2019 as well as two Super League Grand Final rings in 2014 and more recently in 2019 – in a game which he took home the Harry Sunderland Trophy.

He will look to add to that record in 2020 as he sees out the final year of his contract with the club

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like it. It can only be a positive!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Great news. I'm not sure about his leadership qualities but hopefully he can have an impact on the team similar to Graham (as a player). It's hard to judge exactly how good he is since he's in the Super League (I haven't watched him at all too be fair) but looking at his statistics and the hype around him (I think he was in the Super League team of the year) hopefully he can deliver in the NRL. A target of ours we've been able to sign (I'm not sure what other clubs were linked, I know Rabbitohs were at one stage but they've signed Arrow). If anyone has some extra information or some highlights I wouldn't mind hearing/watching (as you do when you sign someone new).

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Great news. I'm not sure about his leadership qualities but hopefully he can have an impact on the team similar to Graham (as a player). It's hard to judge exactly how good he is since he's in the Super League (I haven't watched him at all too be fair) but looking at his statistics and the hype around him (I think he was in the Super League team of the year) hopefully he can deliver in the NRL. A target of ours we've been able to sign (I'm not sure what other clubs were linked, I know Rabbitohs were at one stage but they've signed Arrow). If anyone has some extra information or some highlights I wouldn't mind hearing/watching (as you do when you sign someone new).
He’s a hard runner, has abit of pace for a big fella.
Claimed as the best prop in the world.(not proven) hopefully he comes to the doggies and makes a huge impact.

Killara DogStat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You Beauty! Need an English prop 24 years old in his prime!!! Graham/ Burgess 2.0 version hopefully!!!

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke Thompson to leave St Helens for NRL side Canterbury Bulldogs at end of season | Rugby League News | Sky Sports

14:52, UK, Monday 03 February 2020
Luke Thompson will leave St Helens when his contract expires at the end of the 2020 season and join Canterbury Bulldogs.

Saints confirmed that Thompson, who was the man of the match in the Grand Final in October, will be heading to Australia after the conclusion of the current Super League campaign.

Saints chairman Eamonn McManus said: "We were informed last week that Luke has decided to join Canterbury Bulldogs next season.

Thursday 6th February 7:00pm
"We accept and totally respect Luke's decision and wish him nothing but success in his career and in his life. We are absolutely sure that he will be absolutely committed to the club and to his team-mates for the rest of this season.

"There's no hiding from the fact that this is a bitter disappointment to all of us as Luke has been connected to the club since the age of 11 and has developed into an absolute top player at 24 years old.

Advertisement
"If ever he decides to return to England and to Super League then there would be a red carpet waiting for him at St Helens."

Thompson is a product of the Saints Academy having been at the club since the age of 11 and has so far made 158 appearances, scoring 25 tries.

More on this story

He has won three League Leaders' Shields - in 2014, 2018 and 2019 - as well as two Super League Grand Final rings in 2014 and more recently in 2019 - in a game which he took home the Harry Sunderland Trophy.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All over saints Twitter feed wow actually shocked that it’s really happening.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
B3CFFA36-BCB7-44A6-80EF-A3E0745BF2B2.jpeg “The penny has dropped”
“The silence is deafening”
“The do nothing board won’t sign anyone”
“Why did Hill go to England twice? He’s too busy with touch football”
“Our recruitment are shit”
“No one wants to play under Pay”
“We’ll see who has egg on their face”

Last edited:

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can manage to add JAC for next year as well things will start to look bright for 2021