Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe anything the media are saying re price tag.. one minute it's 700, next it's 8, 9, etc
It will be over a million next week.

Just my opinion but this board doesn't look the type to be paying overs for anyone.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is someone else better looking I might have to! I'm sure you've seen a rich nerd with a good looking girl friend. I wonder why they're with them? Love of course.
Ask James packer

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
With all due respect I think you have been getting feed bullshit for quite a long time now. You said there was definitely going to be a rival ticket at the election and there isn’t. Then it changed to a rival ticket pushing for a EGM three months after the election that doesn’t even make sense.

The by-laws of the club make it impossible for the Leagues Club to cut funding it’s the only club set up like that in the NRL so who ever is telling you it’s being cut is wrong. The Football Club always controls the Leagues Club thanks to the way Bullfrog set it up.
Precisely why there is an additional non-leagues club director on the football club board. 7 seats vs 6.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding of the by - laws is the same as yours.
Furthermore your entitled to your opinion
With all due respect I think you have been getting feed bullshit for quite a long time now. You said there was definitely going to be a rival ticket at the election and there isn’t. Then it changed to a rival ticket pushing for a EGM three months after the election that doesn’t even make sense.

The by-laws of the club make it impossible for the Leagues Club to cut funding it’s the only club set up like that in the NRL so who ever is telling you it’s being cut is wrong. The Football Club always controls the Leagues Club thanks to the way Bullfrog set it up.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets hope there is a snowball effect now in recruitment.
Didn’t think it was that much but either way I’m very happy with the buy.
The first one is always the hardest as you know

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Let's hope there is enough room for xerri, jac and one other.
That would bring it to 22 or 23 players on contract, with approx another 2M for the remaining 7 spots to be filled.
We should consider only extensions for 12 months for any current players to keep them on their toes.
You might have noticed that all recent extensions were to the end of 2021 only bar Jacko and DWZ. And for the record, CHN was already signed until the end of 2022 and the only others beyond 2021 at this point are new signings - Stimson and Thompson.
Another shrewd move from the people you shit-can at every opportunity and now you're suggesting exactly what they're doing?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I am more happy about the fact that he didn't end up at Souffs... Even if he weren't to live up to the hype (no reason he shouldn't).. don't need any more carry on from their fans

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lets hope there is a snowball effect now in recruitment.
It will definitely help with our current negotiations and assist with future ones.
Let’s hope he kills it and stays with the club a long time

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give credit when credit is due.
I did congratulate them on resigning our captain, something the previous board could not do to our previous 2 captains in Ennis and Graham.
It's the players they choose to resign on a 12 month extension is what i shit can.
Seriously Chris Smith? Let's hope Elliott is not next you know my thoughts on this.
You might have noticed that all recent extensions were to the end of 2021 only bar Jacko and DWZ. And for the record, CHN was already signed until the end of 2022 and the only others beyond 2021 at this point are new signings - Stimson and Thompson.
Another shrewd move from the people you shit-can at every opportunity and now you're suggesting exactly what they're doing?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
James Graham coming back to the club is some capacity could be a god send to our recruitment if true,particularly if he can cherry pick the best talent coming through from the UK.
I would like to see him run the water as well, that would be a sight to see,gee up the players
It will definitely help with our current negotiations and assist with future ones.
Let’s hope he kills it and stays with the club a long time

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I give credit when credit is due.
I did congratulate them on resigning our captain, something the previous board could not do to our previous 2 captains in Ennis and Graham.
It's the players they choose to resign on a 12 month extension is what i shit can.
Seriously Chris Smith? Let's hope Elliott is not next you know my thoughts on this.
Yes - two key mistakes - Ennis for Liccha and Graham because of salary cap powder keg associated with Foran and Woods.
Chris Smith - I'm not a huge fan either but you need squad players and it was a short extension. Adam Elliott I too have stated he'll have to have a huge year this year to warrant re-signing. I like the bloke, but he has to earn his spot.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
James Graham coming back to the club is some capacity could be a god send to our recruitment if true,particularly if he can cherry pick the best talent coming through from the UK.
I would like to see him run the water as well, that would be a sight to see,gee up the players
Most definitely mate. He really loves the club and would be a great pickup for us

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope all the players off contract have big years and cause headaches to recruitment team on who to resign..
Good position to be in.
Yes - two key mistakes - Ennis for Liccha and Graham because of salary cap powder keg associated with Foran and Woods.
Chris Smith - I'm not a huge fan either but you need squad players and it was a short extension. Adam Elliott I too have stated he'll have to have a huge year this year to warrant re-signing. I like the bloke, but he has to earn his spot.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I hope all the players off contract have big years and cause headaches to recruitment team on who to resign..
Good position to be in.
Probably the most positive thing I've ever heard you say Teddybear :-)
Have a good day mate.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran was reported at 600k by some outlets and now he’s anywhere between 1-1.2
All could be correct, back ended contracts do confuse the issue. Most reports were $3m for 3 years, average $1m per year, but it appears to have been back ended something like $0.8m, $1.0m and $1.2m. Could just easily have been $0.6m, $1.2m and $1.2m or any other combination that makes up the $3m. Who knows.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
not sure if already posted but some words from Holbrook (former St Helens and now Titans Coach) on Thompson:

Bulldogs signing Luke Thompson's former coach - Titans boss Justin Holbrook - believes the English star will be a revelation for Canterbury in 2021. The Bulldogs stunned the NRL world by landing Thompson's prized signature on Tuesday, beating the Rabbitohs, Warriors and Titans to the punch.

And the man who knows more about Thompson than anyone in the NRL - Holbrook - couldn't have had higher praise for the 24-year-old.

"He's not your traditional ball playing English forward," Holbrook told the Herald.

"What he is, is is a dynamic ball carrier, he's a direct ball carrier and he's very fit."

Thompson has earned a reputation for playing big minutes in the Super League - a competition he dominated under Holbrook's tutelage.

The new Titans coach stopped short of declaring Thompson the best prop in the world but did declare he was the best prop in the Super League.

"He's definitely the best prop in the Super League," Holbrook said.

"I'm not sure about the world - there are so many good props in our game at the moment - but without doubt he is the best prop in the Super League."

What Thompson isn't however, is the next Sam Burgess.

"He's not in the same mould as Sam," Holbrook said.

"He's more a guy who leads by his actions on field. Sam was a vocal leader as well.

"They're both exceptional players but he's different in that sense."

also note in the same article - Thompson will join Canterbury for the 2021 season, having put pen to paper on a three-year deal believed to be worth about $800,000 per season.
So was Sharon, so we got a bargain this time lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's hope there is enough room for xerri, jac and one other.
That would bring it to 22 or 23 players on contract, with approx another 2M for the remaining 7 spots to be filled.
We should consider only extensions for 12 months for any current players to keep them on their toes.
Quick (rough) check of the maths, there's 15 players off contract this year and we only have 29 to date. Add Thompson for 2021, that still leaves 15 spots to fill to make the 30. Minimum NRL contract is $100k plus game payments, often clubs include bonus payments based on the number of NRL games fringe players play in the season, ie; an incentive to step up. If we had the 3 "guns" on, say, $800k average that means every one of the remaining 12 (new signings and resignings) would have to be on the NRL minimum with very little in games bonuses. Plainly that's not going to happen, we would get no one to sign/resign on that pittance unless they were complete hacks with zero chance of playing at NRL level.

Source; https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

Go Dogs

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think I am more happy about the fact that he didn't end up at Souffs... Even if he weren't to live up to the hype (no reason he shouldn't).. don't need any more carry on from their fans
You mean channel 9??? :grinning: