Opinion Loan Topine to Melbourne

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In the the hypothetical scenario where they go for it, it would be because they want him to play first grade. Bellamy has already said they will be bringing a player in the only question is who? Buzz Rothfield said on NRL360 last night he didn’t think Sims would move as he could be playing first grade this week.
Like in European leagues, loan agreements can have clauses, one of them being if the player isn't playing x games or minutes, etc than the player can be withdrawn back to home club.

Loans can really benefit some players, sometimes it's the opposite but generally if the player is taken care of both clubs and player can benefit whilst putting less pressure on salary cap (can probably use the discount to pump more as bonuses during the season for morale boosting)

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idk he just seems a bit small to me struggling to see the fuss seems like a champion bloke hope he comes good still very young

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Idk he just seems a bit small to me struggling to see the fuss seems like a champion bloke hope he comes good still very young
I'm sure there's something he can bring to the table, he has good wraps I think. I don't know what they see in his game, I haven't really seen him play besides when he came in at hooker, nothing much there. Therefore I don't have an opinion on him, seems like he has good attitude, most important in my book before skill speed and size.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Here's his stats from this weekend.

60 minutes
10 runs for 103m
29pcm
1 line break
1 tackle break
3.2s ptb (fastest forward)
26 tackles (0 missed)

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hopefully thats the case mate
I hope so too mate. I like his attitude and personality so I hope your source is incorrect but it could explain things if they are correct.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Topine bench in NSW Cup!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Topine bench in NSW Cup!
Probably a mistake? We don't have a 12 named looking at the team sheet and Topine was in the 12 last week so maybe they just mixed up 12 and 17 idk :tearsofjoy:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Here's his stats from this weekend.

60 minutes
10 runs for 103m
29pcm
1 line break
1 tackle break
3.2s ptb (fastest forward)
26 tackles (0 missed)
Great player to groom for lock if he works on his ball playing. Of course you need the rest of your middles to not be plodders

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the party rumours are true?.
Needs reggie's time yes and 6kgs or more of bulk idk does he replace Jacko next year or where does he even fit in the fg team in future? I don't see a spot for him next year really either?
I reckon(and it's only a hunch he has to prove himself this year)that Judda Turahui will go past him..taller at 187cm and already 104kgs..
Is Turahui still with the club? He’s nowhere to be seen, unless injured ?

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, he has barely played any footy over the past few years and is only 20. He will get his chance when TPJ and Hetherington gets suspended lol.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, Topine should be in our side ahead of Waddell ... also who do you propose we get in return?
I bash Waddell a lot but he is an pure athlete. His IQ is the liability and I believe they are hoping he can tidy that up.
Topine is a dead set football player on the other hand and he has more points and less penalties in him then Waddell.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's offer him to Storm for Papishizen. They've got Meaney to play fullback. Good trade aye?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Topine seemed like a high energy player that put himself right amid the action in his debut game. Probably still on the smallish side but acquitted himself well in spite of that. From memory he skipped a grade to make his debut for us (could be wrong on that though).

If he's getting overlooked now it might be so he gets the chance to build confidence and form against adults and a higher calibre of players. I don't know if he's going to feature early this season, but it seemed like he was well regarded when he got his chance last year. It'd take a pretty big turnaround in attitude to throw him right off the radar.

Melbourne would want to keep him and we would fold
I think he'd be the type that Bellamy would be happy to mould. The attitude and work ethic that Barrett spoke about when he got his jersey presented and the fact that he seems like a natural footballer with some ability to play multiple positions would mean there's plenty to work with. I'd also be wary of letting Melbourne get their hands on him.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve read all the wraps (and no reason to doubt them) and thought he did very well without being outstanding in 1st grade. He just seems too small for the middle for me, but then again, if good enough, smaller guys make it. I hope he does.

Don’t see a spot for him ATM though.

Hope he stays and develops.

I thought no time in the trials at least was very, very strange…

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storm need a Prop to replace Welch, not a back rower IMO. Sims can play both but won't get released by the Dragqueens.

I reckon Storm's best chance is grabbing Herman Ese'ese out of the Gold Coast as he ain't getting a run up there.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I just wanna say that his one and only try last year he scored against Manly was excellent.